Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Is Toyota FUBAR?
 Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Arnold

2/1/10 5:38 PM

Is Toyota FUBAR?

I think they are really blowing it with their plan to use a "fix" instead of replacing the recalled pedal assemblies. The pedal assembly will be fitted with the addition of a reinforcement steel bar . They are claiming that this is not a cost driven decision, but is being done to to get the autos repaired quickly. Even if true, do they really think their customers are going to buy that? Especially when cars still on the assembly line are getting a newly designed pedal assembly? This is going to blow up in their corporate face.

edit: oops FUBAR not FOBAR

Last edited by Arnold on 2/2/10 8:25 AM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

2/1/10 5:48 PM

They have always made great cars but I smell smoke leaking from my butt on this one. I don't believe they have friggen clue why their cars have had problems.

I would still buy a Prius or another model that did not use the same throttle system.

dan emery

2/1/10 7:01 PM

time will tell

I can't really analyze it, but the fix seems basically a shim, and if I owned a Toyota I'm not sure I'd be thrilled with that solution.

Apparently all the unsold cars in stock will get the shim treatment - who would buy them?

Reply to topic    

djdickson

2/1/10 7:34 PM

Toyota

My extended family owns seven Toyotas, and we all agree that:

1. Toyota does not yet have (or isn't telling) the entire truth.
2. It still doesn't change the fact that we all really like our Toyotas, we aren't giving them up, and when the time comes we'll probably replace them with Toyotas.

The off-duty CHP officer who was killed in San Diego with his family in a Lexus was a completely weird story. How a CHP officer could fail to stop his car, either by pushing the button or putting the car in neutral, is beyond me. The guy literally had minutes to figure out what to do, and he drove cars for a living. I can't help but think that there is something fishy going on with that.

Yeah, there's a problem with some of their accelerators, and they had better get to the source of the problem. If their two fixes work, then I don't think they will suffer any long term damage. Look at Ford-- they killed god knows how many people with defective Firestone tires and top-heavy SUV's, covered it up, finally came clean, and now they are the healthiest American car company and the only one currently in the black. And then, of course, there was the Pinto.... We forget awfully quickly.

If it turns out Toyota is covering up more serious problems then they might be in a heap of trouble. Stories about computer problems tied to cruise control seem pretty plausible to me, and if that turns out to be the case and they are lying about carpets and accelerator linkages, then Katy-bar-the-door because there is going to be hell to pay. For awhile.

Personally, my wife and I love our Tacomas. We checked the carpets (no problem, even though they are being recalled) and no sticky accelerators, so no big deal for us. Same with my parents, my sister, my brother, and my wife's mom. Ho-hum.

Reply to topic    

Arnold

2/2/10 12:38 AM

Toyota is calling its repair piece a precision cut steel reinforcement bar. But I think the term shim is accurate.

Is rigging a fix like that going to comfort nervous safety conscious Toyota owners?

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

2/2/10 4:13 AM

interesting thing, the problem cars all seem to be throttle by wire. No linkage from the throttle to the engine. That is why I find it all kinda fishy.

My Tahoe is throttle by wire, my Jeep is not.

I really don't buy off on the fix yet.

I would not be surprised if they are flashing the EMS also when they add the shim but advertising it as a EPROM change. "Oh, that. We are just downloading the system to check for errors and codes."

If anyone here has a recalled 'yota, ask very specific questions such as did they check or download the EMS data, did they flash the EMS etc. I bet they do.

Arnold

2/2/10 7:24 AM

Sounds like two separate problems

1) sticky pedal, Toyota claims to be caused by moisture and wear. When the cars were inspected, the moisture had already dissipated and the sticking wasn't being duplicated.

2) possible electronic, causing unattended acceleration, a different problem that Toyota is not acknowledging as yet.

On top of this, only a very small percentage of cars have shown any symptoms. It can be assumed that some of the complaints filed are do to driver error or confusion.

jimbo

2/2/10 7:57 AM

Whatever the perceived problem is

I don't have any concern about considering a Toyota when I need something new.

Sparky

2/2/10 9:47 AM

Buy the stock now I say, not the car. ;)

sandiway

2/2/10 10:04 AM

Not just Toyota

The supplier of the faulty part supplies not just Toyota.

See

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/31/toyota-gas-pedal-recall-woes-spread-to-peugeot-citroen-in-euro/

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

Wheels

2/2/10 10:27 AM

I'll never buy another Toyota again

I bought the "Truck of the Year" in 2001, the Tundra. It has been nothing but problems since day one.

The water pump leaked and caused the timing chain to corrode to the point where it was slipping. Mechanic said he had never seen it before. This was after 40K miles, 4K miles outside of warranty.

I did an oil change and had some residual oil on my finger tips and closed the trunk. Went in the house and washed up and then came back with a MF rag to wipe off the oil on the trunk. Nope, oil came off but fingerprints in the clearcoat pain remains, despite multiple washings.

Bottom has nearly rusted out. There is a recall on this.

Brake cable to Parking Brake froze and had to be cut and replaced. Couldn't pass safety as it was.

Windows rattle. Clips inside broke.

Paint scratches looking at it. Was loading leaves in the back and brushed by jacket with a plastic zipper against it and now I have visible scratches on the sides.

Back latch for liftgate broke. Plastic holder. Can't buy clip, need to buy whole latch asssembly at $100.

Truck gets lousy gas mileage for such an underpowered (V6 190hp) engine. Lucky to get 15 mph all around. Wouldn't care if the truck actually accelerated.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

2/2/10 10:50 AM

I had a 4WD 4 CYL years back. What a freaking gas guzzling slug! Last Toyota for me.

Did test drive a Corolla for a possible car for my son, 1998 low miles and high price. felt like a turd. I thanked the jerk for wasting my time misrepresenting the condition, and suggested he
might mention it to prospective buyers it needs an axle and the front cupped tire s a result of. Felt like it had 200k on it when less than 1/2, conversly my Buick Regal turned 170k on the way back from Waterloo last night and got 27 MPH on the highway.
Not bad for a 200+ HP 3450 lb 10 year old AMERICAN car. I would go back next week with out hesitation, that corolla on the other hand I would not take on a long trip with out much needed repairs.

I would add the Civic hybrid some friends have feel much like that Corolla, only newer crap IMO. ;)

Last edited by Sparky on 2/2/10 12:15 PM; edited 2 times in total

jimbo

2/2/10 11:42 AM

I've driven both the Prius and the Matrix

I'm please with both of them.

Well I also had a Camry and it was a good vehicle. Low maintenance.

Wheels

2/2/10 12:00 PM

Of the car that I have owned

The best was a Datsun 200SX. Had it until 160K miles. Brakes and tires only. It just started to rust at 130K miles (10years old). Sold it after 12 years when the oil sensor pod went.

Next was a Jeep Cherokee Laredo 1991. Great car, despite the Jeep's reputation for iffy reliability. It had a few things that went on it such as the Master Brake cylinder at 14K, and some wire chaffing, but everything was fixed under warranty and never was an issue again. Sold it with 141K miles.

BMW 325i - Bought a 1992 with 22K miles in 95. No problems whatsoever and I still own the car. Although I just sold it with 63K miles. Didn't drive it much as it is a convertible. So long term reliability didn't come into paly.

Acura Integra GS-R- No real issues, but too small for me and noisy. Car came with wife.

Honda Accord 2000 - Nothing really bad about this car either, but we have put money in for little things.

2003 BMW M3 - Just got. Too early to tell yet. Love the way it drives though.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
V
Toyota Tundra - Worst POS car I have ever owned.

Reply to topic    

henoch

2/2/10 12:36 PM

Still have, just sold it..

Hey Wheels,

What are you smokin... :)

BMW 325i - Bought a 1992 with 22K miles in 95. No problems whatsoever and I still own the car. Although I just sold it with 63K miles.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

2/2/10 12:37 PM

Still have, just sold it..

Duplicate title ? Wait until the guy goes to title it. ;)

Wheels

2/2/10 1:35 PM

Smokin' - Nothing

1992 Bimmer is/was fun to drive. There were a few things wrong with it that made me want to sell it.

Front rim had a crack and the tire leaked air. I got sideswiped on the highway and the guy who hit me, I later found out, had no insurance. There is some cosmetic damage, door panel dented and large rubber bumper smear. I looked into having it repaired, and it was $1500. The hood had a dent in it from my truck hitting it. Remember above when I said the parking hand brake froze on the truck. Well the truck was parked on the hill partion of my driveway and my wife drove the truck last and put it Reverse when she parked it. Some folks do 1st, dome do Rev. Well since the brake didn't hold, the truck rolled into the car after she went inside. The dash vinyl cracked as it is almost a 20 year old car.

Although the car was fun to drive, it was a little small for me. I was good in it for about 2 to 3 h, but after that it I got back and leg aches. Consequently, any time I went somewhere long, I took another car. This was a primary reason for selling it. I would have loved to keep it. IT is a classic style and gets compliments when I took it out.

I drove it about 3K miles every year, all summer miles, until last year, when I didn't drive it (right after the collision). Even after it sat for almost a year, I put a new battery on and it started right up.

I sold the car to a friend who likes fixing Bimmers up and has the parts and access to a shop. He said he would let me drive it when I had the itch.

I sold it for another BMW convertible, so I still stayed in the family. The new one is a little faster and a lot more comfy for me.

Wheels

As far as sold/still have - My friend has the title and I have the keys and the car. He hasn't paid me yet, but he needed the title to register and get plates. The car has no plates on it now and therefore not legal to drive.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

2/2/10 1:44 PM

correction

>>He hasn't paid me yet<<

Wheels *hopes* he has sold the Bimmer...

If the friend is Hardy or Hausner, make sure you see cash on the barrelhead.

I've had one Toyota, a Corolla All Trac wagon. It was OK, but I think a design goal was to maximize body roll in corners.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

2/2/10 1:48 PM

*hopes* he has sold the Bimmer.

He will get it back when it need a $500+ repair or something. But what could cost over 500.00 to repair on a Beemer, I mean other than the ciggy lighter...? [ducking]

JayPee

2/2/10 2:08 PM

I Dunno . .

quote:
My friend has the title . . .
Wonder how long before tow truck shows up . . .. Sheriff in tow . . .

Reply to topic    

jimbo

2/2/10 2:13 PM

Good one JayPee

nm

Tom Price

2/2/10 3:59 PM

Transport secretary calls Toyota ‘safety deaf’

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35201553/ns/business-autos//

I sell Chevrolets so I am a little biased. This caught my attention. I feel very lucky that this did not happen to GM and am appalled at how Toyota handled this. I also feel that it is more than floor mats and gas pedals Time will tell. Intermittent problems are extremely difficult to diagnose.

This just came in from Automotive News:

"Feds look at Toyota electronics as source of acceleration defects"

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100202/OEM01/100209971/1147

Last edited by Tom Price on 2/2/10 4:33 PM; edited 1 time in total

henoch

2/2/10 4:09 PM

Volt

Hey Tom,

What's the latest on the Volt? I'm looking forward to seeing those out on the roads.

Reply to topic    

Tom Price

2/2/10 4:58 PM

Volt Update

The Volt production line is now starting up and there are some preproduction cars on the road. The first cars will be available in the 4th quarter of 2010 and sold in California, Detroit, and Wash D.C. The rest of the country will get cars in early 2011. The will go about 40 miles on the batteries only. After 40 miles the engine will fire up and provide enough power to run the car. It will run about 400 miles on gasoline.

Jay Leno got to drive one of the pre-production cars and was very impressed. There also is a road test in USA Today.

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/at-the-garage/hybrids/green-garage-2011-chevy-volt/#more

The Rochester area is also where GMs Fuel cell research is being done. They probably also are involved in the design of the electric propulsion systems. GM did not crush all of the EV1 electric cars. Some of the engineers in the area drive them as electric test vehicles. I see them fairly often on my bike rides (CYCLING CONTENT). It is great to see GM ahead of the competition with a major concept.

Sparky

2/2/10 5:41 PM

Volt, eh?

I think I will save like $25k and get a Tahoe, I could keep it in gas for 17 years on the 25k...

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -