HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

First official use of camera

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
RCoapman

7/25/23 7:36 AM

First official use of camera

Just back from a ride where a town dumptruck passed within a foot of me and then moved over trying to push me into the curb. At least that's how it felt. Got his face (in mirror), town markings, vehicle ID, etc all on camera. I nearly soiled myself it was so close, so let's see if anything comes of this.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/25/23 9:03 AM

I don't ride among the blunt skulls any more at all..

Fukers think this shit is funny, sadistic shit heals..

I haven't used/needed my Varia in quite a while.

Last edited by Sparky on 7/25/23 9:46 AM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

RCoapman

7/25/23 9:44 AM

Small town cops were helpful and seemed to be on my side. They were also impressed with the tech, esp when I described the radar system.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/25/23 10:01 AM

We had a local I've ridden a lot with for years that was found dead on the road from a hit and run last year. Jon was retired and rode most days, I really always like jawing and riding with him, and Elaine as well.

He was 71, and kinda died by the sword, although his sword was a bike and the violent part was the driver. No one except this driver will know what actually happened. No witness nor CAM etc.

But he still was riding under his own power, and had a non EV tandem he and his girlfriend often were out on rides. Before I stopped riding with the local club...

But I'd run into him and the club last few years while out and tag along and jaw until I disapproved of the route. An upside being I hardly ever flat anymore. And even when I didn't flat on rides I 'd help folks that did, so I was fixing flats a lot. # minutes rolling again is something most of the riders incapable of solo.

In fact this year I have ridden along with smaller groups of club members [elders] that also do not approve of the on road routes and do non official rides off the ride calendar of club. I catch them on the bike paths, they also feel same as I do about riding along with the blunt skulls.

This is the first year I've been here since move I've allowed my dues to lapse, just don't ride with them anymore. And they got plenty of black ink, so don't need my coin.

RCoapman

7/25/23 10:16 AM

I absolutely hear you, Bob. I hate the blunt skulls and every day I see stuff that probably should be reported but who has that kind of time?

I wish I could enjoy the off-road or bike path riding, but I don't. I like the speed and the ability to get into long, steady efforts I find on the road. I just can't stand the constant change of pace with off-road riding, I can never get into a rhythm.

I've resigned myself to riding with the BS until such time as I change my mind or they turn me into a meat stain. I refuse to let them win and I'm a stubborn SOB.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/25/23 10:47 AM

Yeah, I get that. I am too slow for that to matter anymore. I do manage sustained path jaunts during the day on contiguous sections. My best anymore is 18 MPH solo sustained jaunts. And I can pick vacant sections for sprinty interval out of the saddle faster speeds. I figure the age related muscle losses might be kept at bay with these intervals, so I get up a lot and power down. It get core muscles into the fitness equation, something I deem important @ this age.

I am happy to slow up around traffic in which predicting others dumbness is ambiguous at best usually..

But I figure slower moving folk shouldn't be put in risk either. I slow to being about to react reasonably and effectively to stupidity... other than my own..
;)

But best part is I mostly have these paths to myself. Most users which commute on them are already at work. Thus traffic very light if not non existent during week when I ride the most. For that reason perhaps. ;)

Also further out of town you get, the less use overall. My main loop is 52 mile out and back. About 1/2 of it is way outer suburbia and safe and quite totally. Although you do tire of the repetition.

Brian Nystrom

7/25/23 11:06 AM

Rob, do you have the option of getting onto smaller roads where traffic is less of a problem? You probably won't find long stretches where you can really motor, but it's a lot more relaxing and interesting. I've become a convert over the past few years and rarely ride any of my old high-speed training roads anymore. When I'm down on the Cape, I almost never ride the roads alone and do much more gravel riding there, only using the paved roads as connectors. I won't do long road rides unless it's outside of tourist season and/or I'm with a good-sized group.

I also tend to think of off-pavement riding riding as free-form intervals, which help to build strength and stress the ol' cardiovascular system. They're also great if you're time-crunched, as you can get a hard workout done in a short period of time.

That said, the weather this year has sucked so badly that we haven't been able to consistently get any mileage in. Consequently, we're cancelling our planned vacation to Spain, since there's no way we're going to be in shape for it and I'm not ready to go the e-bike route.

Reply to topic    

RCoapman

7/25/23 11:23 AM

I ride lower traffic roads as much as possible, but this was a necessary route through a small village as I was on my way back home. It's usually not that bad, tbh,

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/25/23 11:47 AM

I also have a few local woodzy places, small but repeat loops with zero exhaust and cars I enjoy.

I do tend to hit pavement when the weather breaks here. Get the money in the road bike inventory going. After off season riding mostly woods, it is a nice change.

Being 10 years motocross MC idiot, I like to use the giro scope all that put in my balance system blasting trails. Jambing rises etc.

Funny part is I hardly ever use my old Gary hardtail. I like a CX bike that fits 38s for this. The less tread the better as it makes me work harder hitting grades to carry speed. As in intervals. ;) And you really use your core keeping in the middle of the bike standing going up. You'll loose traction easier with non knobbies.

Speaking of which, I installed some Pirelli Centurato H gravel tires. Considering they have low block knobs, they both grip very well and roll on paved sections excellent. Best compromise tires I've tired to date. And you can run them higher PSi for hardpack deer paths and pavement with little detriment to grip on loose for the most part.

I recommend these for this type of riding.

Brian Nystrom

7/25/23 2:21 PM

Linda is running Maxxis Ramblers and really likes them. My bike came with their slightly more aggressive Ravagers and I've stuck with them, as they provide good grip on the loose surfaces that we commonly ride without an objectionable penalty on hardpack and pavement...considering that they're 40mm tires at ~30 psi. As expected, they're slower than 25 - 35 mm slicks at higher pressure, but I don't feel like they're dragging me down.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -