CYCLINGFORUM.COM - Where Cyclists Talk Tech --- Return To Home

Register FAQ'sSearchProfileLog In / Log Out

cyclingforum.com ****

HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Race Shop Domane SLR gets some tubulars...

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

7/22/23 4:51 PM

Race Shop Domane SLR gets some tubulars...

I bought a Zipp 303 Firecrest tubular wheelset from someone cleaning up. This is something I should do really.

It is a lot of work cleaning old glued dried up tub wheels, and worse the front had tape. That leaves a bigger more stubborn mess once left to 'age' like a fine wine. But that's how you get 303s for $150.00.

Glued up Tubeless tubular Hi-Carbon Tufo 28mm after many hours of clean up/prep. The wheels IMO are the cream of when Zipp really started making advances.

These are the first carbon wheels to survive Flanders and Roubaix. Which is interesting considering they are just under 1200 grams.

Off came the 32mm clincher GranPrix 5000 with latex tubes and these on along with some Swiss stop Black Prince pads. The 28mm HIIC Tufos ride noticeably sweeter than the 32mm GP5Ks @ same PSi. Braking excellent too.

I feel like I got a new bike. ;)

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

KerryIrons

7/24/23 9:54 AM

For future reference, toluene (aka toluol) or other aromatic solvents (xylene is available at many hardware stores. Works a treat to remove tubular glue, even old and dried out tubular glue.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/24/23 10:14 AM

I used acetone.

Would toluene or xylene be better than acetone. faster with such old dry glue?

Google seems to suggest Acetone is "somewhat aromatic". i was looking for napthia, but locally could not find and went with acetone.

First I start with hardwood sticks I make to follow contour on rim well and heat gun to take off most of it. Then Acetone to get it down to reasonably clean state to put glue back on.

I've found twice now getting deals on wheels that have been sitting for years that have use the tape the most work. The tape rots and little pieces left in glue bed are like an aggregate.

dfcas

7/24/23 10:41 AM

Are there any chemicals that should not be used on carbon rims?

Sparky

7/24/23 11:02 AM

Zipp actually specifies Acetone to not void warranty..

Brian Nystrom

7/25/23 5:19 AM

The problem with acetone is that it's too volatile; it evaporates too quickly to thoroughly dissolve a thick glue buildup. I typically use lacquer thinner, which is a blend of several solvents, including acetone. I've never seen it damage carbon fiber or fiberglass composites, but my experience is not an exhaustive study. A less volatile solvent I've used in the past is white gas (a.k.a., "Coleman fuel". Although I seriously doubt it would damage a carbon fiber laminate, I've only used it on aluminum rims.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/25/23 9:19 AM

I always have white fuel around by the gallon. I use it to clean my spray gear whilst guitar painting. And when I repainted my kitchen cab with pre CAT lacquer.

It is not very effective on dissolving much, nor nearly as bad to breath. I did the acetone operation on the 303s outside with a high cfm fan blowing across the operation away from my nose. I do have respirator I will use when I paint and do other long chemical tasks.

I definitely use chem proof gloves so I don't absorb the solvents into my skin as well. I remember my sister cleaning VW engine parts in the 70s with no gloves. Probably using Triclorathane [sp?], and for a few years. FWIW she is in remission from Lymphatic cancer for 28 years now... I always think about this with chemicals and my skin. ;O

KerryIrons

7/26/23 8:42 AM

Compared to aromatic solvents like toluene and xylene, acetone is not much better than water for tubular glue. I doubt the aromatics would affect a carbon rim as you are not soaking the rim and just going after the glue. However, I would test a spare CF piece just to be sure. Something like a cut off CF steerer tube from a fork would be a good test piece.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/26/23 9:19 AM

Thanks for chiming in Kerry. I am going to get some here for next time. Cutting an hour off this would have been nice.

These 303 Tubs are among the nicest wheels I've run. I recall back in 1999-2000 when I got new 404s finding those excellent, When I was fast enough for a big profile to matter a little. ;)

I also have a HiFi disc wheel set with same Hi Carbon 28s on them. The Strong All road built in 2015 has had mostly fat tires as my woods gravel bike. It truly shows its 'Road' side of the All Road with the 28s on it.

Smallest I've run previously on the disc Strong have been 30mm Challange Strada Bianca tubulars, which are notably heavier cobble tire than the Tufos. Not to mention on alloy wheels heavier than these carbons.

I pulled those HiFi off a S-Works Roubaix I am selling. Selling bike with tubulars never a good idea. ;)

I can't seem to run out of stupid deals from folks that decided to try tubulars, or CXer cleaning up. Covid decimated CX here. It is no where near what it was prior. Tons of old dried up CX tub tires/wheels floating about for dirt.

1200 gram Zipps for 150.00 was more than I could bear and I ran to get those. I am going to have a CX tub tire sale at some point... I think I paid 300.00 for the HiFis with cassette and Rotors. QR Tubular disc, small market need for those. I was the only person that inquired.

I even got some NOS Carbon XTR TA from Universal Cycles for $359.00 pair. XTR MTN Tubulars, who-da-thunk those existed. So lots of tubs going on here.

Those are nice as the rim bed is 26.4mm wide. 30-36mm tubs really sit nice on them. And the rims are like 270 grams being a nice equalizer for fat heavier tires. Those have 36mm Strada B Cobble tires glues on. Got 3 of those for 125.00 shipped. Pace line used that should measured twice and glued once. ;)

Now that was a lesson learned gluing tires on. It is a lot of glued surface. I learned quickly after first mount to mount tire with wet glue on rim. The contact cement stick syndrome on so much glue surface area on the first one was a challenge.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -