CYCLINGFORUM.COM - Where Cyclists Talk Tech --- Return To Home

Register FAQ'sSearchProfileLog In / Log Out

cyclingforum.com ****

HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

The Narcissist is always the victum, MEH!

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

6/30/23 11:32 PM

The Narcissist is always the victum, MEH!

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2023/06/lance-armstrong-is-setting-new-world-records-for-gall.html

Poor little rich beoch. ;)

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

RCoapman

7/1/23 5:33 AM

I am a little abivalent in how I think about LA. As a sportsperson, he was definitely driven and talented. I don't care how much dope you have in you, you can't do what he did without boat loads of talent and motivation.

I do think it's unfair that, for an example, Jan Ulrich is still listed as coming in second in the 2001 TdF when he was doped to the gills as well. They all were and everyone knows it. Probably the top 20 or 30 riders, if not more, every year were doping like mad....they should have wiped out the whole damned roster no matter the historical consequences.

But that's a tiny part of it, entirely overshadowed by the cheating and his being a complete and utter asshole to everyone around him. He was toxic, vile prick and caused a lot of harm. I honestly can't believe anyone listens to his podcast, I find him gross...far more for his dickishness than the cheating.

Celebrity breeds narcissism, it's nearly a psychological inevitability given the fawning attention people give to anyone who is publicly known, so I'm not surprised he's taking this tack but given how he treated people in the past it's truly vile. He was an asshole then and it seems he's an asshole now. Fuck him.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/1/23 7:46 AM

i saw doping as leveling the playing field, top 50 riders most probably doped. What are they using now, like EPO early on not able to test for, etc.

but my point was the victim card pullage...

RCoapman

7/1/23 12:51 PM

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I fully agree.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

7/4/23 6:02 AM

Frankly, I find all the public hating on Lance to be rather tedious. Yes, he doped, as did every other contender during his time AND - let's not forget - previous to that. He paid a heavy price for that, as he should have. I'm over my disappointment with him, but the author of that piece obviously isn't, and it comes across as petty, faux-outrage to me.

Was he a jerk? Absolutely! Is he still? That's a matter of opinion.

Heck, one could almost argue that long-term, he did the sport a favor by pushing doping so much to the forefront that it simply had to be address aggressively. As painful as it was, who knows where we would be today without the Lance debacle.

Personally, I find him mildly amusing and he has insights into the sport that none of us do. He's trying to build a new life for himself, which he's obviously entitled to do. While I don't feel any sympathy for him, I don't feel any derision either. He's just another voice out there that you can choose to listen to or not. Hopefully, he does something interesting, but if not, oh well.

Reply to topic    

RCoapman

7/4/23 9:59 AM

I won't argue with the tedium of it. But for me, one thing I have a hard time forgiving is someone who deliberately throws someone else under the bus to try and cover their own ass. The doping is whatever, they were all on the juice, but being a toxic, manipulative, and evil shit to everyone around him to cover his lies is why I'll never partake in anything done by LA.

Yes, everyone deserves a second chance but each person has their own boundaries so this i just my view and I don't expect anyone to share it.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

7/4/23 11:30 AM

That's fair.

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

7/4/23 2:27 PM

quote:
I won't argue with the tedium of it. But for me, one thing I have a hard time forgiving is someone who deliberately throws someone else under the bus to try and cover their own ass. The doping is whatever, they were all on the juice, but being a toxic, manipulative, and evil shit to everyone around him to cover his lies is why I'll never partake in anything done by LA.

Yes, everyone deserves a second chance but each person has their own boundaries so this i just my view and I don't expect anyone to share it.

An excellent summary of my feelings as well.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/4/23 2:50 PM

"but being a toxic, manipulative, and evil shit to everyone around him to cover his lies is why I'll never partake in anything done by LA. "

This^

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -