Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

paris-roubaix [SPOILER]
 Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
RCoapman

4/9/23 10:28 AM

paris-roubaix [SPOILER]

WvA seemed a bit spent at the end. He still had some kick left but could not get away from Philipsen when he tried. Still, you have to wonder how different things would have been if Wout didn't have that puncture at ~15k to go. Then it was just him and Van der Poel and being in contention for the win is surely worth some watts that might not appear when you're fighting for second.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

4/9/23 1:41 PM

Jumbo Visma seemed to have more than their share of tire issues, which brings to mind a couple of questions:

- Are the Vittoria tires they're using just crap?
- Why don't they use sealant in their tires for a race like Paris-Roubaix?

From the video it appeared that Wout's flat was a pretty slow leak, likely something that sealant could handle easily.

It was a bit alarming to see the footage of riders on tubeless tires having them come off the rim and others with carbon rims that completely shattered and collapsed. I suspect - and hope - there's going to be some serious reevaluation of equipment choices after this race.

I wonder how the riders using the on-the-fly pressure adjustment systems fared. There were some on Jumbo-Visma, but Wout wasn't one of them.

Van Der Poel is pretty obviously the best bike handler in the modern peloton. He could have (should have?) crashed numerous times, but always managed to keep the rubber side down. Simply amazing!

Reply to topic    

dfcas

4/9/23 4:13 PM

Bob Roll commented that given a choice, with disc brakes, the teams prefer to change the bike if there is a flat tire.

Rim brakes would clearly make more sense at P-R.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

4/9/23 5:25 PM

Can't add much, other than I expected this race to break record for short dueation, and was right.

Bike handling skills best of the best. I was sure on that right hander a feeler ga. would be required to see how close his foot/pedal got.

RCoapman

4/9/23 11:18 PM

I watched appx the last 100k but definitely saw some tire-off flats and at least one wheel break. Didn't always know who it was happening to as it was Dutch TV and I know exactly three words in Dutch but agree that it seemed like there were some bad equipment choices. Try to save a few seconds but risk losing the race.

Reply to topic    

Nick Payne

4/10/23 1:33 AM

quote:
Why don't they use sealant in their tires for a race like Paris-Roubaix?

Did you see Derek Gee's front tubeless tyre blow off on the Arenburg cobbles, when he was at the front of the race in the break? Sealant clearly visible.

Reply to topic    

RCoapman

4/10/23 3:54 AM

I thought his whole wheel was coming apart for a second.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

4/10/23 8:59 AM

I am sure that last few feet of carbon on cobble totaled the rim...

I was surprised to not see a green Vitoria air liner in use..

LeeW

4/10/23 9:00 AM

Curious how the variable tire pressure system might work? I can easily envision lowering the tire pressure on the fly, but what type of source are they using to raise the pressure on the fly? Someone please enlighten me.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

4/10/23 9:35 AM

Only thing I could imagine is a co2 cartrige in a pocket in the carbon rim, 180 from the valve/control valve. Carbon fiber cartriges?

RCoapman

4/10/23 10:16 AM

Letting air out, as mentioned, seems pretty easy. But some form of co2 cartridge would cause balance issues with the wheel, I would guess. Maybe it's only variable in one direction?

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

4/10/23 10:44 AM

Nick, I did see Derek Gee's flat and commented on the sealant when it happened. I'm pretty sure that Jumbo-Visma was using tubulars.

UPDATE: J-V was apparently using Vittoria Corsa Pro tubeless tires. At least they had been testing them. I didn't see any evidence of sealant when Wout flatted.

As for the pressure adjustment system, it's done with a pump built into the hub. Here's a link to an article about he Gravaa system:

https://www.cyclingtips.com/2021/09/want-on-the-fly-tyre-pressure-adjustment-gravaas-kaps-wheels-can-do-that/

Last edited by Brian Nystrom on 4/10/23 10:54 AM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic    

LeeW

4/10/23 10:54 AM

Thanks for the link Brian.

Cannot tell from the photo, but I'm guessing there must be a significant diameter tube or pipe to run the high-pressure air from the hub up toward the rim/tire?

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

4/10/23 10:55 AM

The article shows pics of it. The tube is surprisingly thin.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

4/10/23 12:07 PM

Interesting..

LeeW

4/10/23 1:26 PM

I was viewing on a mid-sized phone screen. Guess I missed seeing it in the pics.

Doubtful that I would ever want the system, but interesting (to a former engineer🤣).

Reply to topic    

RCoapman

4/11/23 3:53 AM

That's pure wizardry.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

4/11/23 7:40 AM

Combine that with a Classified 2-speed hub and SRAM's new Transmission drivetrain and you'd have the ultimate bike!

Of course, none of this stuff is compatible - yet - and it would cost five grand, but still... ;-)

Reply to topic    

Sparky

4/14/23 11:49 AM

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/paris-roubaix-crashes-spark-debate-about-tubeless-tyre-safety-on-the-cobbles/

RCoapman

4/19/23 12:44 PM

quote:
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/paris-roubaix-crashes-spark-debate-about-tubeless-tyre-safety-on-the-cobbles/

So tubeless is better?

Yeah.

Why?

No tubes!

But what about total loss of pressure on rough surfaces?

Put an insert in!

Isn't that just a tube?

[crickets]

Reply to topic    

Sparky

4/19/23 1:24 PM

quote:
Isn't that just a tube?

[crickets]

ROTFLMAO!

Brian Nystrom

4/19/23 3:35 PM

Well...

...not unless you consider a piece of foam a tube. Inserts don't contain pressurized air and their purpose is to:

a) prevent a flat tire from bottoming out on the rim

b) keep the tire on the rim

In normal use, they only contact the tire at the bead.

Reply to topic    

dfcas

4/20/23 6:06 AM

It seems to me that P-R would be the perfect application for tubeless tubular. Or do they have more rolling resistance than tubelless clinchers?

RCoapman

4/20/23 11:53 AM

If it were me I wouldn't care, tbh. I'd rather deal with rolling resistance on an inflated tire vs what we saw in this race. WvA's puncture surely changed the last 12k of that race significantly.

Or maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about because I don't really know just how much of a difference the rr makes between the two choices

Reply to topic    

Sparky

4/20/23 1:55 PM

I'll say this. 2 rides same bike. 1st 30mm tubeless tubulars with small dot tread, Schwalbe g-zero speed.

2nd, 36mm Gravel King slicks that run small @34mm on wide-ish rims, but with latex tubes.

GKs felt amazing, gotta try sans tubes. G-Zero Speeds lived up to 'speed' designation. Felt like go fast bike, even with my fat ars abord..

Bike canti Tomii CX team stampede race machine..

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -