CYCLINGFORUM.COM - Where Cyclists Talk Tech --- Return To Home

Register FAQ'sSearchProfileLog In / Log Out

cyclingforum.com ****

HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Breadwinner in the hood. Orange meets Maine...
 Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

11/20/22 11:22 AM

Breadwinner in the hood. Orange meets Maine...

Dan sent over some pics of the Orange Breadwinner for TTF eyes. ;)

I can only imagine the feel of steel and those 650x42 Baby ShoePass Renes rolling...

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dfcas

11/20/22 12:31 PM

What a great looking bike. At one time I had 3 orange bikes. Alas none now. That looks like a lot of fun.

dan emery

11/20/22 2:13 PM

Great bike

Had an initial shifting issue which I sorted out with help from Sparky (first time I’ve dealt with a clutch and the alignment of the support tooth around the hanger was not immediately obvious to me).

Took a short spin and love the bike. It fits perfectly and rolls like silk. Although I didn’t push it at all, cornering seems pretty sharp. Love having generator lights and fenders.

Some Ekar shifts hung up a little, but I think it will be fine after it and I both get a few more miles in (I probably need to adjust my touch after a few years of SRAM).

Will report again after a more challenging ride.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

11/20/22 2:37 PM

Lube the chain? Probably has the fish paste orig anti rust coating.. #NotLube

Also, do your due diligence bedding the brakes if they did not before boxing it up.

____
As I recall this was orig for one of the shop guys? Why you got it so fast??

Or was that just the slot for welding up. G-Road is a custom geom per rider according to site.

So I am wondering where the front end design is as far as HTA and trail etc.

I have come to like lower trail fronts, You have the RSL/SLR with 52mm trail and know what I mean.

But may not really apply with 650b fatties VS the 32s on the SLR. But you get my point I trust, so curious to your opinion to trail and feel and your impression/druthers etc.

The B-Road page does have a geom pic showing a 72.5 HTA and 50mm rake. Baseline? Those numbers suggest to me mid 55-7mm trail if 700c depending on axle to crown height if my brain is working this morning... Then of course the 650b is going to change it up... Yada

dan emery

11/20/22 3:01 PM

Well you’re right, I didn’t lube the chain yet, will do. The prep sheet didn’t mention that, but I should have thought of it.

The shop guy got his before I did, I think substituting me for him was a figment of your imagination….:)

Can’t help much with front end design, trail, etc., I barely know what that means, I just ride the bike and generally like it (I only buy bikes I think are well designed). My diagram says 72.5 and 50. I think this may corner a little quicker than the RSL (which I consider a bit slow), but I’ll report after riding more.

Forgot to mention, I also love the Spurcycle bell. I originally didn’t request a bell and was lukewarm to their suggestion, but this one has an awesome ring.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

11/20/22 4:15 PM

That how my Strong is when i go 650 from 700 for winter. I imagine smaller 650b turns even faster than 650x47s I've run last 2 winters. Slow speeds with 650b it turns with near zero countersteer or lean in.

I mounted some 42x650 to try, will be pulling the 700x30 coble tubulars off tomorow.. Disc wheel swaps easy.. But these 42x650 are more like 35mm, which is why I've not used them ever having got them years ago...

Steve B.

11/20/22 6:38 PM

Prices on some SRAM stuff is cheap. The GX ASX 1X mt. bike shifter and rear derailer group is mid $400's. I picked this up last month, installed in about 20 minutes, works just great. I'm a big fan of electronic shifting on a mt. bike.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

11/20/22 6:41 PM

Panaracer col de la vie 42x650b They are wire bead but Panaracer made witch is always good in my experience. I got these years back for $20.00 to try size fit on the Strong.

Tube type mounted with butyl on WTB TL rims. It is clear the way the beads lock on these rims a flat on the road is not going to go well.

Quick ride locally they ride like a dream @ 50 PSi.
Ultimately the ColDeSmall on TL rims 1/2" drop of axles/bike from the 30mm cobble tubulars and the 8CM BB drop on the Strong this has too many things working against it. If they were actually 42mm that be about the limit, but they are 35.5mm on 19c rims.

Anyway...

Time to buy some Baby Poo Pass RH 650x42 maybe. ;)

RCoapman

11/21/22 8:25 AM

Dan, that's a lovely bike.

re: Ekar shifts- I found that I had to be extremely fine with adjustments. It wasn't perfect when I got it back from the shop (grrr) that installed the group and instead of the usual 1/4 turns I use on 11spd it was more like 1/8 or even 1/16 turns and check the shifting across the whole cassette each time. I got it dialed in and it's as perfect as can be now but it took a bit of fussing to get it there. This was all before chain lube.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

11/21/22 3:16 PM

Rob, how did you fair for the snow event, how extreme did you get to have fun in?

RCoapman

11/21/22 4:01 PM

Got nothing. That was Buffalo.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

11/21/22 4:12 PM

I saw the forecast map and it looked like an area way east and south no the usual was at risk..

Did it stay in the usual lake effect zone?

RCoapman

11/22/22 6:18 AM

No idea, honestly. I know that it didn't fall in my immediate area, we have no snow at this point. The only reason I knew about the forecast for Buffalo is that others have asked me.

I pay exactly zero attention to media/news/etc these days for my own mental health. My mother usually lets me know when we have serious weather coming our way but that's about it.

Buffalo is the same climate but has always had very different winter weather. Its lake effect usually results in a handful of massive onslaughts of snow with variable intervals in between, whereas the lake effect here is a more steady, relentless process of accumulation over time.

IIRC our new breadwinner owner went to school in Buffalo. Having fond memories of 30' snow banks, Dan?

Reply to topic    

dan emery

11/22/22 6:53 AM

School in Buffalo

I grew up just outside Buffalo, in Amherst. Plenty of snow, though that is on the other side of the city from the lake effect.

I went to school for a year in Syracuse, which I think overall gets more snow than Buffalo. And the Tug Hill Plateau, more or less North of Syracuse, gets the most snow in the Lower 48 ATMO.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

11/22/22 10:11 AM

My understanding was that thundersnow occurred, and it was reported as rare.

RCoapman

11/22/22 10:45 AM

Thundersnow...isn't that a Norwegian death metal band?

Reply to topic    

dan emery

11/22/22 12:48 PM

Ekar shifting sorted

It's now perfect, can't wait to take the bike for a tough ride, probably this weekend.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

11/22/22 9:48 PM

Thundersnow produces heavy snowfall rates in the range of 5 to 10 cm (2 to 4 in) per hour. Snowfall of this intensity may limit visibilities severely, even during light wind conditions. However, thundersnow is often a part of a severe winter storm or blizzard.

RCoapman

11/23/22 5:40 AM

Funny, lived in the lake effect zone most of my life and I can't recall ever hearing that.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

11/23/22 11:02 AM

Apparently it is considered a rare and unusual phenomenon.[1] It typically falls in regions of strong upward motion within the cold sector of an extratropical cyclone. Thermodynamically, it is not different from any other type of thunderstorm, but the top of the cumulonimbus cloud is usually quite low.

If not for the internets, still wouldn't know myself... ;)

dan emery

11/27/22 1:13 PM

First “real” ride

Took the bike out for a pretty good ride today - 36 miles, quite a bit of climbing, mixed dirt/pavement.

Abso-freakin-lutely love the bike. Fits perfectly, super comfortable, handles well, the now dialed in Ekar shifting is I think my best system, including e-tap.

The last couple years if I’m out 2 hours or so I get a bit uncomfortable on the bike, not in pain so much as just stiff. Not today on this bike - felt great the whole ride.

The steel frame and 42 tires eat up bumps - noticeably more comfortable than my Checkpoint. The Berthoud saddle is also great. The bike has a lively ride.

The shifting is quick and positive. The thumb shifter is a little funky as Rob describes, but I don’t use the curved lower section as I’m never in the drops. The upper section works fine from the hoods. The lower section worked fine as well on a quick test. I love the range on the 1x13, 38 x 10-44. Gaps are fine with me.

The bike also corners well, and handled some wet dirt fine. The fenders kept me and the bike clean in contrast to my buddy Mike whose bike and butt were caked with mud. Also love the generator lights, which have no noticeable drag.

I raised the saddle about 1/8” from where the builder marked the seat post.

Couldn’t be happier.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

11/27/22 1:42 PM

Do Ekar ERGOs thumb lever do sweep shifts like my Chorus and SR 11s shifters?

Last ride pic Dan sent up...

dan emery

11/27/22 2:14 PM

The thumb shifter just does one at a time. The lever can do 3 in one sweep.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

11/27/22 2:42 PM

That is what I thought I recalled.

Do you have GRX on something?

dan emery

11/27/22 2:56 PM

I don’t know what GRX is.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -