HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

LeMond

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Andy M-S

6/9/22 5:53 AM

LeMond

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/cycling/2022/06/06/greg-lemond-reveals-cancer-diagnosis/7539807001/

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

6/9/22 10:01 AM

Firstly, I wish that on no one. Cancer is terrible period.

I can't get past my first thought admittedly. That being the guy that never doped and protested way too much getting blood cancer.

RCoapman

6/9/22 11:27 AM

I haven't kept up with the drama....but do we really think he didn't dope? I've sort of assumed everyone doped back in the day...even Indurain, Mercx, etc....

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/9/22 12:16 PM

Indeed. I wish I had a nickle for each time I uttered the words "If you aren't doping you aren't near the top 20+ in any Pro tour".

Not that I am right, but a shared sentient beyond mine I and guessing...

I always remember seeing tape of Merckx crying like a baby that caught in the cookie jar. Meaning dope dejour. Coke 100 years? ago was the dope of the day as I recall...

dan emery

6/9/22 3:16 PM

Do you know of a link between the type of doping done in cycling and Leukemia?

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/9/22 3:49 PM

I do not, it is supposition on my part. Same as with Lance and Testicular cancer in my thought process.

Again; "Not that I am right"

Steve B.

6/9/22 3:59 PM

I feel for him, but in my own experience, while Leukemia was once a dreaded disease, especially the acute variety, they deal with this much better today. I was diagnosed in '14 with CLL, a slightly different variety of what Greg has, not sure the difference. It's more common in men than women and common over 60. I received a more traditional chemo over 6 mos, in 2015, was in remission for 7 years, then when it came back (it always does) am now on a different regimen of targeted therapy drugs that are pills I take at home for a year. My oncologist informed me that there's a very good likelihood the current treatment will cure me, such is the effectiveness of the current drugs. "Better life through chemistry" was the DuPont motto and it works for me. One side effect is fatigue, or more specifically a difficulty in recovering from hard effort, such as long bike rides. It takes longer to bounce back. So be it, I can still ride. Thus I would expect that for Greg, he will have a good outcome and won't likely die from this.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

6/10/22 7:13 AM

Best wishes Steve

Tough diagnosis but sounds like you're doing well, and sounds like a great advance in treatment.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/10/22 11:36 AM

I apologize if my obvious cynicism offended anyone reading.

I'd be a poor juror for a cancer case from family experience.

He is relatively wealthy, and has both current technologies that limited wealth folk don't seem to enjoy. There's that cynicism again...

So that is two major things he can have available to him. The technologies he may partially thank my Dad and folk like him which moved forward experimental Chemo 40-50 yrs ago. I read the releases back then and it will be in my head for my life assuming my memory hold up.

With a heavy heart I say my Dad died of Chemo poisoning. Don't misunderstand that, I'd have done the same at the time. Especially knowing it could save one of my kids 20 years later, as it did for his daughter, my Sis in remission for 18 years.

Hope that puts light on my comments.

Again apologize if I offended.

Steve B.

6/10/22 12:43 PM

Thx Dan. This was once a killer disease (took my mother in law 17 years ago), is now about as manageable as diabetes, which shows how there have been amazing advances in medicine. Of course, I have terrific medical insurance, one of the med's is billed to the insurance company to the tune of $22,000 for a monthly supply (though I wonder if they really pay that, theres usually different agreements), I'll be on it for 15 months, or $330,000. My mos. Co-pay is $10. There are many, many people in this country far less fortunate, insurance wise. Im very grateful for what I have.

Reply to topic    

Steve B.

6/10/22 12:48 PM

My sister has advanced ovarian cancer. The treatment took her kidneys to 10% function and that is likely to be the ultimate problem. The chemo treatment was terrible. Sometimes your body deals with it, sometimes not. Im sure we all here have similar stories of loved ones and friends. Still, things are better today that 50-60 years ago when there were few really good and long lasting positive results.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -