Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

1x11, single front for road report.

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

6/4/22 12:30 PM

1x11, single front for road report.

Anyone else doing 1x for road riding?

Did 2 rides on Boone. 38T narrow/wide chainring with RD w/clutch. Tried clutch in and out, difference yes, but not sure about that just yet [in 2 uses].

I thought I'd sure spin out an 38/11 easily. I didn't, but no real serious descent either. [Probably only tuck/coast though]

Ride 1) 11-32 flat short non hills etc. Plenty of Gear/gears. Waste of a lot of Di2 switches though...

Ride 2) 11-42 flattish [RR grades] with a purposeful steep visit. Plenty of low for the hill. The mile long 4% big ring normally, didn't spin out to my surprise. But I was not trying to either.

Maybe for an old slow fart 93 GI is enough. ;)

For a serious long descent anymore, I don't reassly try to go fast[er]. In fact the opposite, I sit up and body sale and tap brakes etc. Something 10 years ago never... Bear in mind for me gravity/girth, going fast down less of a challenge watts wise. ;)

#EdgeOfClydeSize

For JRA solo I think this is fine, maybe good/better.
JRA is still usually pushing and plenty of FTP, such as it is anymore. ;)

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dan emery

6/4/22 2:45 PM

Yeah

I’ve used the same gears on my Checkpoint, which I often ride on the road, for 4 years. I’ve commented on the gearing in other threads. In a perfect world I’d prefer one higher gear than the 38-11, but it’s not a big deal and my current configuration is still what I’d choose in a 1x11. In my new bike with 1x13 Ekar I’ll have a higher and a lower gear. I really like the simplicity of 1x.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/4/22 2:57 PM

I really liked both a 28/42 and 28/40 I've used.

The idea being the 28 is almost never used, but when it is it was really needed.

But I wound up spending 95% of the time in less than optimum chain alignment staying in the 46. Especially when not quite wanting to drop to the granny, yada.

Andy M-S

6/5/22 1:08 PM

Ayup

42 front/11-36 in back, 9-speed. works just fine; on rare occasions, I would like a gear in-between selections, but not often, and the simpler system works well.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -