HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Thump, thump, thump

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
KerryIrons

6/22/21 1:15 PM

Thump, thump, thump

Had a flat today, nothing unusual about that. Replaced the tube, pumped up to about 85 psi (guess) and got going. The tire had not fully seated so I got the thump, thump, thump. This happens about half the time when I flat but no worries, because I know that just riding will eventually seat the tire. Today it was about 200 yards before the tire had smoothed out. An all time record short distance :)

The first time I had this happen with my current wheels I freaked out and stopped, tried to work the tire into place and couldn't so I let down the pressure and tried again with no luck. I resolved to just ride home with the thump but after about a mile the tire had seated so I learned it was not an issue.

Rims are Velocity A 23 and tires are Conti GP 4000 or GP 5000 clinchers. Others have the same experience?

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/22/21 1:37 PM

Use this exact combo a lot, never an issue. But I am using kapton tape for rim tape, and have been for years. Makes me wanna ask if you are still using old school velox?

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dfcas

6/22/21 1:42 PM

At home i use soapy water on the bead to seat tires on A23 rims. I wonder if using your water bottle to wet the bead would aid in reseating?

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dan emery

6/22/21 2:14 PM

experience

I can recall that only once, and it was not a flat but when I first mounted Herse Cayuse Pass Ultralight 32s. It smoothed out almost immediately when I began riding and these are fabulously smooth tires.

Thump thump click click for me is more from the days of Conti Sprinters and Wobbler Vulnerables.

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

6/24/21 4:31 PM

Stan's

quote:
Makes me wanna ask if you are still using old school velox?

A short piece of Velox right at the valve, otherwise Stan's tape. Super thin stuff. Most of the time whether in the shop or on the roadside the tires pump up with no issues, but once in a while I get the thump and it works itself out quickly. It helps explain how people can mount a tire with just a bit of tube caught under the bead and not have the blowout flat until many miles later. The flexing of the tire continuously takes you to the lowest energy state, and that might mean a smooth ride or a tire blowing off the rim.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -