HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Driver rams cyclists in Arizona race, critically injuring 6

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Tom Price

6/20/21 8:35 PM

Driver rams cyclists in Arizona race, critically injuring 6

This appears intentional and not an accident. The driver fled and was shot by the police. Wild!

"Tony Quinones, 55, of Santa Fe, New Mexico, told the New York Times that he had been riding for about six minutes with other cyclists ages 55 and over when a black pickup that had been driving in the opposite direction crossed over three lanes and headed toward the cyclists."

https://www.rochesterfirst.com/news/national/truck-rams-bicyclists-in-arizona-race-critically-injuring-6/

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Brian Nystrom

6/23/21 6:06 AM

There are a lot of truly disturbed people out there.

Reply to topic    

lrzipris

6/23/21 6:55 AM

Between the disturbed people, the indifferent and the entitled, all of whom are everywhere, I'm not as comfortable riding as I used to be. I've got to go further out into the country to find that sense of peace, quiet and serenity.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

6/24/21 8:24 AM

some progress in Maine

A recent note from the Bicycle Coalition of Maine:

>>In a huge victory worth celebrating, Maine lawmakers have stepped up to protect pedestrians and people on bikes by passing LD 821, “An Act To Improve the Investigation and Prosecution of Cases That Involve Vulnerable Road Users” in the Senate and House.

“Vulnerable users who have been killed, injured, or endangered by motorists deserve to have a full investigation into the cause of the crash,” said BCM Executive Director Jean Sideris. “This new law is a big step forward in Maine, and it could have national implications.”

LD 821 requires that law enforcement officers investigating reportable crashes involving vulnerable user who believe there may be probable cause that a criminal or civil violation has occurred to inform a district attorney of relevant jurisdiction about the investigation, and any evidence relevant to the potential prosecution of an alleged criminal violation resulting from the investigation as soon as possible after the incident.

The bill was sponsored by Sen. Mattie Daughtry (D-Brunswick); was supported by Cumberland County District Attorney Jonathan Sahrbeck, Sheriff Kevin Joyce, and a majority of DAs in the state; and was developed in partnership with the Maine State Police.

LD 821 had a difficult process through the legislature, and was nearly killed in the Transportation Committee as a result of political maneuvering before Sen. Ben Chipman (D-Portland) cast the single vote that kept the bill alive. After additional information was provided to lawmakers, the bill passed the Senate unanimously on Tuesday, and was approved by the House on Wednesday.

Sen. Daughtry said she was very pleased with the outcome of the bill, and noted in particular that the work of Sen. Chipman, DA Sahrbeck, and the Bicycle Coalition of Maine and its supporters (like you!) was critical to the final passage of the legislation.

“This bill is personal to me, especially with the increasing number of crashes involving vulnerable users around my community and our state,” said Sen. Daughtry. “It’s important that as we encourage more people to walk or cycle to get around, we make sure they’re safe while sharing the road with cars and trucks. This bill takes an important step to help protect cyclists and pedestrians.”

We owe a BIG thank you to every one of you who took the time to send a message to legislators to help the BCM ensure that dangerous drivers are held accountable when they kill or injure vulnerable roadway users.

“This is a huge victory for vulnerable users and something all Mainers who believe in sharing our roads can celebrate,” Sideris added.

Making Maine better for biking and walking is a team effort, and we couldn't ask for better teammates!

Thank you!<<

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -