HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

R.I.P.

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
lrzipris

5/19/21 8:48 AM

R.I.P.

"US cycling champion Gwen Inglis killed by suspected DUI driver during training ride"
https://www.denverpost.com/2021/05/17/gwen-inglis-cyclist-dies/

As I've gotten older (well, "old" is probably more accurate), my awareness of the risk of road cycling is increasingly heightened. When riding locally, around my township, I'm usually at least moderately tense, as I no longer enjoy the serenity cycling once gave me. I have to get out into the countryside, away from much traffic, to enjoy the scenery and peacefulness, but even there, there are no guarantees of safety.

Reply to topic    

Matthew Currie

5/19/21 9:22 PM

Welcome to the club. I rode here in rural Vermont for many years with few incidents until 2012 when I was hit by a car - nasty permanent stuff. Off the road since then. I sold my road bike. Nowadays the old fart takes the rail trails and the hill behind the house.

I guess I was lucky to make it to 64 unharmed. I still miss those fast downhills.

Reply to topic    

Andy M-S

5/21/21 7:36 AM

Sigh

I saw that report and I was horrified. It can happen to anyone, and just about anywhere.

I find the roads in Connecticut to be *generally* safer than just about anywhere else I've lived, including rural Wisconsin, but even here I got whacked.

My road riding is a lot less aggressive than it used to be (not that it was ever particularly crazy or fast), and these days I find myself much less inclined to be bothered by drivers who do the unpredictable (like stopping and waving me through).

Cycling has given me a replacement hip, a busted jaw, broken elbow, broken foot, multiple broken ribs and cracked vertebrae, too much road rash to describe, but I still love it. My retirement plan in a few years (I'm 63) is to ride to a coffee shop every morning, then ride to the library and sit there reading for most of the day, and then ride home. Will it be safe? Who knows?

I guess I'm doing more in the early mornings these days, when motor traffic is limited, and do a fair bit of my riding on paved trails. I miss real bike commuting.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

5/21/21 1:53 PM

Did group ride last week. My normal for 2 years+ now is stay away from cars/trucks/trains.

Group ride had plenty of the above and I forgot to get nervous until the end when I thought about it. ;)

But is was before lunch mid week and route was un busy and no trucks to speak of..

Matthew Currie

5/22/21 9:50 AM

When I visited Connecticut (my mom lived in the NW corner until 2013), I usually took a road bike and put in some nice mileage. Roads and terrain were great there, and shoulders even on the fairly old roads were decent. There's some great climbing there.

Here in Vermont, many roads have no shoulders at all, and those that do often are so narrow they're just ornamental. A foot-wide shoulder is not really functional.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

5/22/21 9:58 AM

It's truly sad to see another member of our ranks get mowed down by an irresponsible driver, in this case, one that was apparently stoned at the time. I hope the f-ing moron gets thrown in prison and becomes someone's bitch for a few years.

I've got more of an appreciation for quieter back roads these days, but I'm just as comfortable with road riding as I've ever been. I'm slower and take fewer risks - no more jumping train tracks or drafting trucks - but I still love it. I do ride off-pavement more than in the past, but that's because I enjoy it and it's a better choice when it's really windy or cold. It also helps build bike handling skills, which makes me even more comfortable on the road. I avoid rail trails for the most part because they're flat, typically boring, and there are two many oblivious idiots on them. The roads around my local rail trail actually seem safer and probably are, plus there's enough terrain to make them more fun. Last weekend, we did a mixed terrain ride in CT and on the one high-speed paved section, I was comforted by the fact that it had rumble strips to help keep wandering drivers in their designated space, along with a nice, wide shoulder. Good design in this case.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

5/22/21 11:02 AM

You guys use a mirror? I have one of those mini small ones inside my Oakley Heater Lens, yes, my 22 year old Oakley M-Frames still in use. A few temple and lens transplants later... But turn out the no hinge decision was a good one. ;)

But of course you can get mowed over between ganders. But some solace. But cellphones and big GUI displays are our enemy riding on road I figure...

I can get between 50-80 miles on a out and back bike path loop here. And being retired has it weekday non rush our benefits. Weekend is a pedestrian nigh mare...

dan emery

5/22/21 11:35 AM

Various

Lots to respond to in this thread.

I feel comfortable riding on the road - rural Maine is a good environment. Not many shoulders, but not many cars either. One thing I dislike is overly complex bike lanes. Anyone want to be in a narrow lane between two car lanes? Does a section of overlap painted green give you a warm and fuzzy feeling?

Andy’s retirement plan sounds good, all except the reading all day haha. No intellectual here. I can’t seem to retire anyway because whenever I talk with someone about a case I want to take it.

Haven’t ridden on rail trails much, but this summer Rick Hardy, me and another friend plan to ride the last 90 miles or so of the East Coast Greenway, from roughly Ellsworth to Calais, Maine. Plus maybe some other riding up there. I rode BikeMaine in that general area, gorgeous. The true Downeast.

Also thee is a proposal to convert a railroad track which crosses my driveway, about 200 yards from my house, into a trail. Dunno when or if it might actually happen.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

5/22/21 11:39 AM

I've never used a mirror, I rely on my ears. Most drivers around here aren't aggressive toward cyclists and I doubt that a mirror would help if a driver is distracted and drifts into you. Perhaps those who use them can shed some light on their experience.

Reply to topic    

Andy M-S

5/24/21 10:20 AM

I'm a big fan of mirrors. I had one mounted on a bar end when I used drop bars; now I have one glued to my helmet. Yeah, there's a fair chance that I'm not going to see the one with my name on it, but I still like being able to see behind...

And Dan? I didn't say what I was going to be reading!

Sparky

5/24/21 4:21 PM

My serfas blinky snapped the light mount last ride and I got back with the mount on the seatpost and the light in PDX on the ground someplace.

Order and already got the Garmin Varia Radar blinky.

It should alert/vibrate the VivoActive HR watch and make me look in the little mirror inside of my heater lens. So I can see if a POS or good car ends me...

April

5/27/21 2:43 PM

quote:
I've never used a mirror, I rely on my ears. Most drivers around here aren't aggressive toward cyclists and I doubt that a mirror would help if a driver is distracted and drifts into you. Perhaps those who use them can shed some light on their experience.

I use mirrors sometimes.

I live in an area that's the edge between NYC suburban and rural farm lands. If I go towards NYC, the mirror stays home. There's no point. I KNOW there're cars constantly passing me.

But when I ride AWAY from the densely populated towns and villages. I found the mirror helpful. There maybe a car (or 2) every 5 or 10 minutes. The mirror allow me to see them coming from far away. Removes any surprises.

For most of my rides, I take the lane and present maximum visibility (I also use a rare blinker these days). Drivers are respectful and give me a wide berth. But if I'm approaching a bend with limited visibility from behind, I check to see there're no cars coming. Or if I see a car coming, I either speed up or slow down so I don't end up on a narrow bend at the same time the car is next to me.

The mirror allows me to be pretty relaxed on 95% of my rides, as I can see I'm the only one on the road. I get to enjoy the surrounding without having to keep my line quite so carefully.

In short, I found mirrors only useful on quiet roads, offers me a bit of extra safety. On busy roads, there's really not much use for mirror.

Other areas? I don't know. Maybe not quite applicable

lrzipris

5/28/21 6:41 AM

Andy, after you retire, you can read anything you like--except for the advance sheets.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -