HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

OT:Car wax

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dfcas

3/7/21 9:49 AM

OT:Car wax

Need to do this and was wondering what people like. I prefer easy to install and long lasting. Don't care much about appearance or cost. The stuff I've been using came out in the 70's and I'm sure theres a better choice now. I've read a little about graphene.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

3/7/21 12:47 PM

Can't recall the last time I waxed a car. ;)

I have been washing with a small amount of Cascade DW powder in the bucket [with soap] for years. I first started doing this with the idea to try to get the water spots minimized.

I used to towel dry vehicles in the shade after a wash, not done that in years either. But I do use my leaf blower to get water off after a wash. I hate to work hard at making cars look good, not doing it, rater be riding...

Not had a car more than 3 years since I started doing this, but water beads still up to that point FWIW.

Tom Price

3/7/21 2:01 PM

For ease of use I prefer Mothers Cleaner / Wax. Great for a quikee. Lasts well over 6 months.

https://www.amazon.com/Mothers-05701-California-Brazilian-Carnauba/dp/B0002U1TWQ/ref=sr_1_2?crid=76GOZUF8TOL4&dchild=1&keywords=mothers%2Bwax%2Bproducts&qid=1615145698&sprefix=mothers%2Bwax%2Caps%2C179&sr=8-2&th=1

Once a year I clay bar before waxing. This removes surface grit and leaves a great smooth surface before waxing. It is also very easy to use. and then use Car Guys Wax, which is longer lasting but does not have a cleaning effect on it's own.

https://www.amazon.com/Mothers-07240-California-Gold-System/dp/B0002U2V1Y/ref=sr_1_4?crid=76GOZUF8TOL4&dchild=1&keywords=mothers+wax+products&qid=1615145698&sprefix=mothers+wax%2Caps%2C179&sr=8-4

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FTT92HS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Every few years I clay bar, then polish, then Car Guys Wax. This gets rid of small scratches.

https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G19220-Ultimate-Polish-fluid_ounces/dp/B06X413M7J/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=mcguire+polish&qid=1615146029&sr=8-1

These are three levels, choose what works for you and your time. Also use a car wash soap as most dish soaps will take off the wax. Based on what Sparky said I might try Jet Dry to prevent water spots.

Sparky

3/7/21 6:41 PM

I never want anything that nice... ;O

Craig

3/8/21 6:08 PM

Forgive my ignorance (there's a first for the internet...) but doesn't the wax/polish depend heavily on what paint process is used? I vaguely remember being told to never use wax on a Honda Civic my father owned for a while; that there was a clear coat that required a special replenisher for it. I have a 97 Mazda that's a single stage paint and it's more traditional wax friendly.

Paints can be complicated these days? Or was Honda selling my father magic paint beans?

Reply to topic    

Tom Price

3/8/21 6:38 PM

Magic Beans

Wax is fine on clear coat. 99% of the current waxes are safe to use. You do not want to use a highly abrasive polish or rubbing compound as the scratching will give a fogging effect to the clear coat.

Craig

3/8/21 10:19 PM

My (mis)information was garnered nearly 2 decades ago. I wonder if waxes were less clear coat friendly back then. Regardless, good to know. The classic Mazda Miata NA is the only car I own that I care enough to wax and its paint process primitive enough to not require a whole lot of special attention. (rust free, less than 60,000 miles, increasing in value by 15-20% every year for some absurd reason). Because of this thread and TheInternet™ I've been inspired to buy a clay bar. Any reason I shouldn't?

Reply to topic    

dfcas

3/9/21 9:41 AM

I've always used non abrasive wax on cars with clear coat. Not sure if any modern cars don't have clearcoat.

Tom Price

3/9/21 10:02 AM

Craig,. There is no reason to not use a clay bar system. It is very easy to use, just use plenty of the enclosed spray and the bar just glides along. You should be able to wash, clay bar, and wax a small car like your Miata in just a couple of hours.

Brian Nystrom

3/9/21 10:28 AM

I used a clay bar once and although it does add significantly to the time required, the resulting finish is pretty amazing!

That said, I'm really not into exterior aesthetic maintenance on my cars, so I haven't used it since.

Reply to topic    

Andrew Lee

3/14/21 11:49 PM

quote:
The stuff I've been using came out in the 70's and I'm sure theres a better choice now.

Nu Finish? That's still quick and easy, long lasting, cheap, and compares well to more expensive choices. Good enough for the car that I baby (an 18 year old Subaru). I like to clay bar before - it goes fast the subsequent times after the initial time on an old car. I just do it while I'm washing the car if the paint doesn't feel smooth from dirt remaining after the wash.

Reply to topic    

greglepore

4/4/21 6:52 AM

Clay bar followed by Opti-Seal. You literally mist this on a sponge, just wipe it on, no buffing req'd, and it leaves a ceramic like coating that's good for almost a year. Awesome stuff.

PLee

4/4/21 6:06 PM

Have you tried Hyper Seal?

Reply to topic    

Sparky

4/4/21 10:19 PM

I have some Polymer based Meguiars Ultimate. I have used it on painted bikes mostly. Originally got it 'for I forget which car' a few years back. It was pricey, but I bet my van used 2 oz today. I did not get up and do the roof yet though. It was a lot less work on the white van in todays cooler temp than on the dark blue CRV I last used it on in hotter conditions.

greglepore

4/6/21 3:31 PM

Parkin-I haven't but its by the same folks... . Suspect it lives up to the claims.

stan

5/7/21 4:40 PM

Late

Sorry to be late. I’m a car fanatic. This stuff is the best. Use it every 4-6 months and it’s perfect

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/liquid+gloss+poly+wax.do?sortby=ourPicks&from=fn

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -