HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Way, Way OT!!!

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
lrzipris

10/25/20 5:37 PM

Way, Way OT!!!

With the forum's deep pool of wisdom and experience, there must be someone here who is knowledgeable about telescopes. I'm interested in a modestly-priced--not cheap, but not bank-breaking--telescope for my grandsons, ages 14 and 11. They are pretty precocious, bright kids, so a "toy-lescope" would not be right for them.

I know nothing about telescopes and optics, and I'm overwhelmed trying to get good, clear information from various websites. Any help out there? If it's inappropriate to communicate on the forum, please email me at LRZipris/yahoo.

Reply to topic    

dfcas

10/25/20 7:55 PM

Not sure, but i think there was a thread once upon a time here. Maybe Sandiway knows telescopes.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

10/25/20 9:00 PM

Yeah, we did this. Search for it for sure...

use search here, or google like so:

site:http://cyclingforum.com telescope

lrzipris

10/26/20 9:10 AM

Thanks, will do. I did not recall an earlier discussion, so I didn't even think to search. This is an amazing community, with experience in so many areas of life.

Reply to topic    

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

10/27/20 3:56 AM

Points to ponder out yonder

Telescopes tend to be a place to hang clothes to dry so choose wisely.

That said y'all may not remember but while in college for my General Science degree I took a lot of astronomy classes and it is kind of a hobby.

I have had a couple of telescopes and this is what I have learned.

1. A dob may sound cool and super easy to use but you don't get to view things for very long before you are pushing it around and trying to line up your target. I have a 10in dob and even with an huge bearing in the table it still can be frustrating. This is even more important when seeing is less than stellar. When seeing is boiling you want to be able to observe for a bit to get a good view.

2. An equatorial mount may seem complicated but once you get the initial set up done for your latitude and find the north star it is is easy. With simple remote cable adjustments you can track the target with no shake or vibration. It is super easy to look at even small obscure targets for a long time using an equatorial mounted.

It may seem like a huge light bucket will let you see more, it won't. You have to be able to easily stay on target.

For a kid with supervision go with a 4.5in EQ mount. Avoid any azimuth mount or dob, you kids won't be able to get eyes on after you find the target because of the earth's rotation. Things move fast across the sky when you are looking at the stars and planets. With an EQ/tripod you can put it low enough that they can look through it like a adult would.

I messed up my knee in the woods a few weeks ago. (Not a cycling related injury, cycling will help it heal)

Sparky

10/27/20 10:06 AM

I use stellarium http://stellarium.org/ just to identify my bino views, and to see the Space Station orbit for when I can watch it scream by.

We are 18 miles out from PDX so to the E to S is particularly ow ambient lit skys and great acuity viewing.

If/when I do get a scope it will be one with the tracking interface and install the appropriate Stellarium add in to control it.

One day when I can trade something for a decent one I'll get something. Because I know it will get honeymoon use and then just be in the way someplace mostly, like our tandem. ;)

lrzipris

10/28/20 8:41 AM

Thanks, ErikS and Sparky. But what is "dob"?

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/28/20 11:53 AM

this type I believe.

dfcas

10/28/20 2:30 PM

Common knowledge. Means Date of Birth.

Sparky

10/28/20 7:38 PM

Well, that's ok if you are common I guess. ;)

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

10/28/20 7:48 PM

The picture is correct.

Dobsonian, the turntable mount. The telescope design is a newtonian.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -