HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Shameless book plug

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dan emery

10/16/20 2:09 PM

Shameless book plug

I’ve mentioned this before, but I just finished a great new book by my friend, and my wife’s cousin, Elizabeth McGowan. This is about an unsupported cross country ride on the TransAmerica Trail in 2000, after a long course of treatment, including multiple surgeries, for melanoma. At every stop she talks with people about melanoma, hands out brochures for the treatment program she credits with saving her life and coupons for sunscreen.

Lots about cycling, lots about cancer and also some other stuff. Eye opening about what this type of trip is really like, and what possibilities it holds.

https://www.amazon.com/Outpedaling-Big-Healing-Across-America/dp/1610885147

I found it fascinating, though I of course am biased. Elizabeth’s day job is environmental journalist - she won a Pulitzer in 2013 for reporting on an oil pipeline spill in Michigan. You can get that extensive series of articles for another $6!

A fun fact is that she did not have a flat on the ride, but had a bulging sidewall in the middle of nowhere, 100 miles from a shop. She had lots of tubes but not a spare tire, so with some help reinforced the tire with, what else, duct tape and rode the 100 miles on it.

Last edited by dan emery on 10/16/20 4:59 PM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/16/20 4:50 PM

Link worth viewing: https://www.transamtrail.com/

Seems very MC focused.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

lrzipris

10/16/20 5:22 PM

After major downsizing three times about 10 years ago--which meant gutting my personal library of 1000s of books--I stopped buying new books. But I just put a hold on the McGowan book at my local library.

Reply to topic    

lrzipris

11/16/20 10:26 AM

I'm about 2/5 through the book and as I read, I fantasize about doing an adventure like McGowan's. For a number of reasons, it will never happen, but I admire her grit in facing trials and tribulations along the way.

I'm also relating to her narrative about her father's and her skin cancers. I have not experienced melanomas, although I have had a number of bouts with squamous and basal carcinomas.

I was surprised that she did not know about tire boots.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

11/17/20 6:14 AM

Boot

Actually I have never booted a tire or carried a boot (other than a 1$ bill). But it certainly would be good for a long trip.

I did find it refreshing in this day of hyper preparation and organization to read of an old school tour, load up the tent and gear in pennies and start pedaling.

If things fall in place Elizabeth and Don may come up next year and we’ll all ride BikeMaine.

Glad you’re reading it.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

11/19/20 4:19 PM

I carry a chunk of casing from an old tubular as a tire boot, though I haven't actually needed to use it.

Reply to topic    

lrzipris

11/19/20 8:11 PM

I carry an energy bar wrapper--minus the energy bar!--which I have used on one occasion.

When you see Elizabeth next, Dan, tell her I enjoyed her story about her journeys, both with cancer and on the bike. I can't imagine what it must have been for her--or her dad--to deal with repeated episodes of melanoma.

I got a laugh from the photos of her with her zinc oxided nose, which I began using several years ago, but I was surprised that she rode in short sleeves (her "Heals on Wheels t-shirt). Whether cycling or officiating outdoor sports like soccer and baseball, I always cover my arms.

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

11/20/20 5:18 PM

Booted

I've done a few on-road boots and many more in the shop. I've had good luck with Tyvek (the synthetic paper that FedEx envelopes are made of). I carry a few square inches of it in my seat bag. It's super tough and takes up no space or weighs anything.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

11/20/20 5:23 PM

Thanks Roy

I passed your thoughts along by email, and I’ll see what Elizabeth says about short sleeves.

And I’m sure you noticed her first few years were in Philly.

I dropped off a copy today at the Dempsey Center (cancer support group that runs a wonderful cycling fundraiser).

Reply to topic    

dan emery

4/24/21 7:32 AM

Outspoken Cyclist

If anyone is interested, this is a good interview of Elizabeth on The Outspoken Cyclist podcast.

https://elizabethmcgowan-author.com/2021/03/08/listen-here-outspoken-cyclist-podcaster-explores-outpedaling-the-big-c/

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -