Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

10/5/20 12:36 PM

BOOM goes the Giro! WITH Spoiler!!!

Color me confused?? How so?

You mean Thomas? [Water bottle]

>>BOOM goes the Giro! (no spoiler)

quote:
Without getting to specifics. to say that today's stage was unexpected and game-changing is an understatement!

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Brian Nystrom

10/5/20 1:01 PM

Thomas crashes after hitting a water bottle in a feed zone and loses 12 minutes by the end of the Stage. Yates implodes and loses several minutes. The stage winner and Maglia Rosa both come out of nowhere on a mountaintop finish. It seems to me that the race has been turned on it's head after only 3 stages.

It's certainly not boring!

I do feel bad for Thomas, as he's a genuinely likeable rider, but the fact that Ineos' plans are going down the tubes again makes me grin inside.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/6/20 4:49 PM

Lord, it keeps getting worse. What a fookin shit show for pete's sake...

More barriers nukin riders, with a little help from down wash....

Translation: Barriers weren't tied properly

Brian Nystrom

10/6/20 7:06 PM

I saw the aftermath, but had no idea what happened. Neither of the riders was moving very much, which looked really bad, though I couldn't see any obvious injuries. Hopefully, they're OK.

There's just way too much motorized traffic at these races. The motorcycles have been a plague for a while now, but irresponsible chopper pilots are inexcusable. That pilot should be banned from every covering a race again.

I'm not trying to absolve the race organizers, but they can't plan for every possible contingency. You can't stake the barriers down without damaging the road, so that's not going to happen. Heavy steel barriers like that are pretty stable, absent a hurricane caused by a chopper. The barriers did stay together, so they were evidently properly assembled.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/6/20 7:33 PM

I think they mean the banners on the barriers were inadequately tied. One of the riders looked wrapped in one.

Pretty serious injuries apparently in Luca Wackermann's case.

Brian Nystrom

10/7/20 5:50 AM

The banners are a problem because they turn the barriers into "sails" that can be blown around by a stiff wind. The race organizers were forced to remove the banners from sections of the TT course due to the high winds blowing the barriers around. Absent the banners, the barriers are impervious to anything short of a hurricane.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -