HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

e-bike demo

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dan emery

9/10/20 2:00 PM

e-bike demo

I went over to the dark side yesterday (temporarily). The Bicycle Coalition was loaned some e-bikes and was offering demos, so I went over and rode a few. They didn't have any road bikes, so I rode a sort of hybrid and 2 Yuba cargo bikes, one with large front and rear racks, and one a full-on Belgian style, with a large wood box between the handlebar and front wheel.

My favorite was the big cargo bike, which I loved:

https://yubabikes.com/cargobikestore/yuba-electric-supermarche/

It handled really well and was a blast to ride. I can see the boost being handy with heavy hauling. It had a funky Enviolo continuously variable shifting system, which seemed to work pretty well. Great bike for groceries.

All the bikes had pedal assisted boost that cut out at 20 mph. It was kind of fun to add boost. One interesting quirk is that the bikes had a torque adjustment so if you pedal harder, the boost increases. So if I pedaled hard up a hill, the boost kicks up and I'd shift to a BIGGER gear!

You could manually vary the boost, including no boost.

I would actually consider one for utilitarian commuting/errand purposes. I don't feel as negatively as I did before about an assisted road bike for recreational purposes - the boost is not disruptive and it might be fun to take long rides without killing yourself - but I'm not ready to go there.

Reply to topic    

dfcas

9/10/20 5:37 PM

Most people seem to like them after a test ride. Ive thought about one but the price kinda scares me. I dont ride outside much these days so that also limits my interest.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

KerryIrons

9/12/20 5:25 AM

Benjjamins

quote:
but the price kinda scares me

That was the first question that came to mind. I wonder about the market for a cargo bike that costs in the $2K range. What was the price for that cargo bike?

Reply to topic    

dan emery

9/12/20 7:57 AM

Bucks

The big electric cargo bike is $5,500. The same bike without e- is $2,500. May be a limited market, but either way I think it’s a lot of bike for the $. Everything is top quality, and as I said it handles great which may be a function of a cable steering system. Laugh if you will, but I’m thinking about one.

Hey, I can’t think of another way to justify a new bike!

Reply to topic    

Sparky

9/12/20 9:41 AM

PDX is Cargo Bike heaven [hell?]. I see these types and human powered as the family trucksters frequently. The loads I have seen are unreal I can say..

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -