HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

safety issue with enve rims

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
greglepore

9/3/20 6:47 AM

safety issue with enve rims

for those that don't read Paceline, an "interesting" recent thread-https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=257564

Executive summary-Enve tubeless compatible rims that aren't prepped with their tape and/or modified with a hole in the side can fill with air pressure from the tire chamber when set up tubeless, and freaking EXPLODE. They don't seem overly concerned because they tell you on the website to use their rimtape. Sheesh.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Brian Nystrom

9/3/20 7:55 AM

That's something I never considered. All of my tubeless wheels have low profile - and low air volume - aluminum rims, so I'm probably safe, but it does make me wonder...

Reply to topic    

dan emery

9/3/20 8:02 AM

Sprint wheels

When you need to augment your explosive power.

Makes roadside repairs a little tough though.

I don’t Enve that!

Reply to topic    

Sparky

9/3/20 9:50 AM

Even a better case for my recent tubular direction. I have settled into tubeless for lower pressures only anyway.

I have one tubeless 35mm carbon disc set I have 38s with latex tubes. But if tubeless with 38s probably run 50 PSI max. I am only running 65 in the 30mm tubulars.

When the road 7850 tubeless wheels got older I put kapton tape in, even though no spoke drilling. Orig owner appeared to have used a metal tire iron and took the finish to allot in a few spots. The sealant with ammonia happily started into the alloy over time. So having the tire to tape edge sealed seemed a good idea after I epoxied the spots.

I did get full life of rim brake track service outta them until over 10 years old too. Sold to a CXer who expected one season of low psi CX tubeless use before finishing off the brake surface, the wear dot was like 1mm left.

Nick Payne

9/3/20 8:46 PM

There are also some tyre manufacturers (Challenge is one that I know of) who warn against using their tyres on Enve rims, as the hook on the rim is not properly radiused, but quite sharp, and can cut the tyre where it presses against it.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

9/3/20 9:49 PM

https://bikerumor.com/2019/03/12/enve-pressure-relief-nut-keeps-carbon-tubeless-road-rims-from-popping/

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -