HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Is there any reason for tubed tubulars?

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dfcas

7/22/20 12:42 PM

Is there any reason for tubed tubulars?

I'm considering going to tubeless tubulars on my stylin bike and I'm trying to figure out if there is a need for tubed tubulars to exist? Tubeless tubulars are available now in at least 25,30, and 36 mm for smooth tread and I'm sure cross style treads must be on the design table.

I've never heard that a tube improves ride quality or lack of a tube degrades ride quality, since so many design factors are involved. Bleeding is OK at 25mm tire pressure, so no problem there.

Tubes offer an advantage in clinchers in that you can change tires quickly and without sealant mess, and the looser fit of tubed clinchers makes changing a breeze.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

7/22/20 3:48 PM

I won't buy any [tubed tubulars]. BTW, the Clement [now Donnelly] PDX CX 33mm are and have been tubeless for a long time. Tufos are as well.

I have a second wheelset with rim instead of disc brake with the PDXs glued on them. If there is a CX season here this year I hope to off those tires, and I am spying seriously the LGG Clement/Donnelly Strada 25mm Tubeless Tubular for those wheels.

I have to roll my Look 585 with those. ;)

I did just ride it today with 28mm Fusion 5 Performance clincher with latex tubes. Previously the 320 TPI Vit Pave Open clincher 25mm w/butyl tubes. It is hard to improve the ride of that bike, but it like the french fatties...

Been going fatter and fatter these last few years, now heading back. But not smaller that a 25...

Sparky

7/22/20 3:57 PM

FWI: eBay cheapest I have seen them.

Clement Strada LGG 700x25 Tubular Road Bicycle Tire 120TPI Black

Also FYI: I got the 30mm Challenge ones for $252.00 for 3 shipped from UK, and a used a CC with no exchange fees on Overseas purchases, yada.

dddd

7/23/20 9:41 AM

I'm still waiting for more test results on these 25mm LGG tubulars.

Mainly it's the tread wear and the rolling resistance that I'm curious about.

I have evolved my thinking on tire buying. I need to see rolling resistance data before pulling any "buy" triggers.

I'm hoping that the tubeless tubular concept will spread among tire manufacturers.
Conti has had a seamless tubular for a long time now, but has yet to make the transition to tubeless on that model.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

7/24/20 6:05 AM

While I haven't looked into the specs for tubeless tubulars, the knocks against full-tubeless - as opposed to "tubeless ready" - clinchers are higher weight and stiffer casings. I imagine that this will apply equally to tubulars.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/24/20 10:12 AM

Not ridden the Strada tubulars [tubeless] in a week, been riding other stuff. Not even close to sagging yet. No sealant in there yet...

Just FYI.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -