HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Product reviews

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dan emery

6/28/20 3:44 PM

Product reviews

Well there is little cycling related discussion these days, so I’ll comment on some recently purchased products I really like.

1. Rene Herse ultralight jersey. This is really a Velocio ultralight jersey with a couple minor tweaks. This is by far the best hot weather jersey I have worn. Supposedly (and I have no reason to doubt) made in large part from plastic bottles washed up on Mediterranean beaches. Stretchy, compressive, form fitting, you don’t even feel hot and sweaty in hot humid weather. I like it so much I wore it 2 hot days in a row without washing. Then I washed it because I wanted to wear it again. That convinced me I need more than one so I ordered another one from Velocio. Expensive but IMHO worth it. Warning: If you are insecure about your physique there is nowhere to hide in this jersey.

2. Garmin 130 computer. Perfect for me, I don’t care about Strava, power, GPS routing, etc., though you can do some of that if you want to. This is tiny but has a very readable screen which you can set up to show 8 parameters. It shows grade which is fun to look at and I think pretty accurate for the most part. GPS based so easy to move between bikes and you don’t have to screw with measuring wheel circumference, etc.

3. Wide tires. Still absolutely love the Rene Herse Stampede Pass 32 mm extralights I put on the Domane Race Shop Limited. Smooth as silk. No flats yet (I tend to think wider tires at lower pressure largely reduce flat probability). I’ve seen a couple of reviews where elite riders say these are their favorite fast road tires. Love the RSL with these tires, also love the Checkpoint with 40 mm tubeless tires.

4. Bontrager Wavecel XXX helmet. I mostly like this because I expect it is effective and it has Sagafredo decals matching my RSL. It has a good fit system so it is secure on your noggin. It is definitely heavier and more substantial than other helmets I’ve used. I find that is more noticeable at the start of a ride but not so much at the end. Weight weenies might not apply, but FWIW the pro team uses it. You might want to try one before forking over the $, but I’m glad I bought it. As kayak guru Tom Bergh says, “If you have a $10 head, buy a $10 helmet.”

That’s all.

Reply to topic    

dfcas

6/28/20 5:38 PM

I've got the Extralight Stampede pass tires on my gravel bike and they are fabulous. I'm convinced that expensive tires are the cheapest and best upgrade you can do to a bike.

Any $5 helmets around?

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

6/28/20 7:51 PM

"(I tend to think wider tires at lower pressure largely reduce flat probability)"

Seems to be the case.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Nick Payne

6/29/20 11:38 PM

Totally agree with you on the fat tyres. The skinniest tyres I use on any bike these days are Conti GP5000 32mm with latex tubes on my Riv custom, and I do most of my riding on an Open UPPER shod with Rene Herse Bon Jon Pass 35mm setup tubeless.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -