Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Tesla Model Y

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Tom Price

6/22/20 9:08 AM

Tesla Model Y

Dan,

I think your new car deserves it's own thread. Jay Leno just posted a Model Y review as you will see he is a big Tesla fan.

https://youtu.be/cH79SuivdAQ

Keep us posted about your new adventure.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

6/22/20 9:42 AM

Dammit!

I dig the access and rear toss in capabilities... ;)

Leno has way more choices of what to drive car wise in a given day that even DDDD has in bikes. In that regard I am an amateur even though I can go well over a week without using the same bike riding every day. 2 if I ride some I don't really like as much as the top 10. ;)

Car wise, we started putting the Moss interior in the MG. Going to be nice rolling it to our first picnic with all new gloves. ;)

dan emery

6/22/20 9:51 AM

Will do

I’ll definitely keep you posted, though getting it here and on the road may be a fairly leisurely process from what I read.

I don’t have the performance version or full autonomous driving, but I’m sure there’s plenty to keep me occupied...

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/22/20 10:23 AM

Well enjoy, stay safe and drive it in good health Dan.

dddd

7/6/20 9:53 AM

Speaking of Tesla, Elon is endorsing West/Khardashian as the next Pres and Lady.
An appropriate/likely encore to the Donald's reign?

Oh, and their stock's up sharply today.

Speaking of toss-in utility, today's cars are way better, with more usable space.
I recently filled my regular old 2015 Camry with five bikes (after removing wheels and pedals) without damaging/soiling anything and still with the passenger seat left open in normal position.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/6/20 10:34 AM

Lets just keep electing folks with zero governing experience, Gah. LOL

Hoping this last bout has cured the electorate of this populist methodology.

dddd

7/6/20 2:59 PM

These days, seems the President's role is to play the role of a character.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

7/6/20 3:23 PM

Character or lack thereof

One of several puzzling thing about this is that West has been a Trump supporter.

Fun fact: Trump likes to play Neil Young songs at rallies (over Young’s objections). Neil became a US citizen specifically so he could vote against Trump. Tom Petty’s estate also filed a cease and desist.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/6/20 5:46 PM

Trump has always, [me from NJ] like a lot of NYers, subscribed to the 'ease of permission/forgiveness doctrine'. He just skips over the asking for forgiveness part. ;)

dan emery

7/9/20 10:31 AM

Got it

The Y rolled in on a flatbed this am, and I’ve driven it around a little for errands. So far, love it. Like other of my devices, I probably don’t know how to use 90% of the stuff, but I’ll make some progress hopefully. Different feel with the accelerator for sure, I guess it’s the regen braking, you barely need to use the brake pedal - let up on the accelerator, it brakes.

Set your phone as the key, you just need to have it in your pocket. I’m not a performance type, but it feels pretty quick. Very comfortable seats.

I’ll update with more use.

New dog and new car- big week in my humdrum life.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/9/20 11:48 AM

Dog? Pray tell...

dan emery

7/9/20 12:22 PM

Dog

I lost one of my Dalmatians just after the first of the year, and decided to get another one. Not easy to get a dog these days, particularly an adult Dal (my first choice). Tracked one down at a breeder in New Mexico who was a friend of my wife. Then a problem getting him here as airlines aren’t shipping pets for the most part. Finally The breeder found a ground transporter who drove him, getting here Tuesday night.

I have an acre and a half fenced in, including a pond. Manny, who was described as shy, decided to play keep away, running all over and jumping in the pond. I thought it might be a long night, but eventually he voluntarily came into the house. Which is good, because he’s a bullet, no chance of me catching him. He’s doing great, playing with Beani, who’s about the same age. So I’m happy about that.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/9/20 3:04 PM

Fun, enjoy... That's for Manny... You OTOH... ;)

dddd

7/11/20 8:46 PM

We're going to have a herd of goats here for a while, so with that will be a large, unfriendly working animal (i.e. dog).

Reply to topic    

dan emery

7/12/20 3:15 PM

Awesome x2

Both the dog and car are great.

I had a couple far flung algae monitoring sites to cover, which gave me an excuse to drive 50-60 miles today. Thus far, I really can’t imagine why I would want an ICE car (other than cost considerations). The car drives great, the dashboard is a large touch screen with a great navigation system and all other controls (there are a couple redundant controls on the steering wheel). Just tell it where you want to go (voice) and it plots the route. Super comfortable seats and climate control (today was very hot and humid). While I don’t have the performance version, with moderate pedal pressure it accelerates like a bat out of hell (no delay, no hunting for gears, whoosh). I’m not an audiophile, but the best auto sound system I’ve had.

A cool feature is that part of the touch screen shows you the road ahead, with cars ahead of you and oncoming. While it doesn’t pick up cyclists on the side of the road, if there is a cyclist into the lane it shows a cool cyclist graphic. Put it in reverse, you have a full backup camera.

With the dogs, an appropriate feature is that the climate control includes a “dog zone” setting. So if you leave dogs in the car (which I don’t do for very long) it maintains a safe temperature.

Got my first software download today, shows up on the touchscreen just like your iPhone.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/12/20 4:37 PM

How many hours will it sit before the dogs get baked? What is the range, and how much does using dog zone parked eat into it etc?

Is there some way to let overzealous folks with phones and collapsible steel batons it has a dog zone and that it is working etc??

I shoulda said it first, cool!!

dan emery

7/12/20 4:49 PM

Dog zone

I haven’t looked at it in detail, as I don’t intend to use it for more than a couple minutes. I believe it is safe, period, not with a time limit. As to zealous rescuers, apparently the internal temp is displayed prominently on the touchscreen so folks looking in could see it.

I will say that driving on a very hot, humid day today the interior was extremely comfortable and well ventilated on the normal auto setting.

Range is s supposed to be about 315 miles, I don’t know what impact dog zone has. Except on a long trip range will not be an issue for me as I can easily top it up every night.

Reply to topic    

dfcas

7/20/20 9:01 PM

I just read that Tesla is going to offer a lease on the Y.$500 per month.

Sparky

7/20/20 9:18 PM

First and last 10 payments upon delivery? ;)

dan emery

7/21/20 2:08 PM

Leasing

I’ve never leased a car, but it might be a good way to go here given the likely technological change. OTOH they just download software for some changes (got my second download today).

Love the car.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/21/20 2:37 PM

Est. lease payment$499 /mo
$4,500 down, 36 months, 10,000 miles

Assume 10k yr.

It sez 371.mo after promotional savings

*Due at signing amount includes your selected downpayment ($4,500), first month's payment ($499), and acquisition fee ($695).

I leased mid 90s into 2000s up in jersey 3 vehicles in total. Nothing bad to say about the lease returns on any unreasonable damage fees etc. One return I was going to go get new tires for as I had snows on the rear. The special Goodyears for rear pair was going to cost 175.00 more than the charge back was.

Get another lease and they eat the lease termination fees too. Or when we returned the last one for a purchase, I got up and walked away when they said they would not eat it. They chased me and lowered the price on the purchase that amount before letting me hit the door.

dfcas

7/21/20 3:44 PM

Also a lease is negotiable. Dealers and manufacturers like leases for this reason. They get full boat for the car if the customer accepts the written lease terms.

dan emery

7/21/20 4:14 PM

@Dan

Let me know how your negotiations with Tesla go...:)

Reply to topic    

dfcas

7/21/20 4:47 PM

I said “ i would have paid a lot more for the car”. Salesman says “ thats ok we would have taken a lot less”

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -