HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Something new (?) for chainstay protection

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Brian Nystrom

6/15/20 8:53 AM

Something new (?) for chainstay protection

I saw an article last week on protecting chainstays that mentioned using Scotch 2228 Mastic tape. It a rubbery tape, ~1mm thick with a strong adhesive on the back. I picked up a roll in the electrical department at Home Depot for nine bucks and change, and installed it on a couple of bikes. It conforms really nicely to compound curves and the adhesive seems pretty tenacious. It can be hard to cut to shape with a knife, but scissors work nicely. On a ride yesterday, it eliminated the harsh-sounding chain slap I was getting on one of my road bikes on rough surfaces. So far, I'm impressed and plan to install it on a few more bikes. It should be good for cable rub protection, too.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Scotch-1-in-x-10-ft-x-0-065-in-2228-Rubber-Mastic-Electrical-Tape-Black-50727-BA-5/202195402

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/15/20 9:20 AM

Been using the heavy gorilla tape for years. I don't really do much off road riding that causes chain slap anymore.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

KerryIrons

6/15/20 10:42 AM

Road slap

Even when crossing rough RR tracks I can't remember the last time I had chain slap. Of course with a bare Ti frame, you wouldn't see anything but maybe a touch of gunk from the chain.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/15/20 11:14 AM

I have a tendency to sit back and stay in the pedals with a light front wheel over things I can't bunny hop over. Old MX habits die hard. [not the bunny hopping] No slap when you keep the chain tight on top. Plus I am so old and slow always in a huge cog back there. ;)

Brian Nystrom

6/15/20 8:15 PM

We occasionally get onto some really rough pavement or short dirt/gravel sections, complete with potholes and stutter bumps. If I don't remember to shift to the big ring and a big cog, I can get some nasty-sounding chain slap, even though the chainstays have the typical thin, plastic protectors. The Mastic Tape seems to really absorb the impacts, keeping things nice and quiet.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/15/20 8:41 PM

I will probably get some to toss up on the wall for a future build or replace a gorilla tape one. The gorilla tape one last indefinitely so far, some a few year old.

I had a piece on the Del Sol to cover a crack in the power antenna trim that cracked. The water ran down the side of the roof 1/4 panel junction washing right over the spot running in the trunk. It was still intact years later when we sold it off. Good cleaning with alcohol where it is going to be stuck to, and it stays stuck for a long time...

Brian Nystrom

6/16/20 6:27 AM

I keep some around too, as it's much better than typical duct tape and in black, it looks nice and less like a kludge in many applications.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -