CYCLINGFORUM.COM - Where Cyclists Talk Tech --- Return To Home

Register FAQ'sSearchProfileLog In / Log Out

cyclingforum.com ****

HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Helmets? Rather MIP tech evolution opinions?

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

5/30/20 10:47 AM

Helmets? Rather MIP tech evolution opinions?

Specifically, Bontrager Wave Cell VS my very old tech Smith MIPs Overtake.

More 'better mouse traps'?

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dan emery

5/30/20 2:32 PM

Wave cell

I bought a wave cell a few weeks ago. It is a little heavier than other helmets I’ve used, but not bothersome. It has a good fit adjustment. I concluded it was a good helmet regarding safety but whether it’s better than competitors I have no idea. The Team Segafredo decals, which match my bike, weighed heavily in its favor.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

5/30/20 4:10 PM

Sparky, go here: https://helmets.org/
There's a lot of unbiased information here, as they have no dog in the technology fight. They delve into various technologies and explain their pros and cons. Among other things, you'll find a rather compelling explanation of why MIPS may be largely "smoke and mirrors", due to the completely unrealistic testing protocol they use.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

5/30/20 4:20 PM

Thanks Brian, of course first thing I saw on the page was something that had not occurred to me:

https://helmets.org/clean.htm#covid19

Dan, I read that about them on the weight. Was wondering bout that...

lrzipris

5/30/20 5:52 PM

There was this brief discussion about a year ago: http://www.cyclingforum.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=164161&highlight=mips#164161

Reply to topic    

Sparky

5/30/20 8:12 PM

I think that was when I had just grabbed the Overtake.

I was concerned about the MIPS mesh not venting well for hot temps. Has not been the case, although I do not have an insulating layer of hair.. What I have left back/sides of my head gets crewcut/buzzed regularly.

dan emery

6/5/20 6:30 AM

heated opinion

Took a ride yesterday, 80 and fairly humid. Didn't even think about heat/sweat from the helmet, so I think the Wave Cell, though a bit heavy, ventilates well.

Also had the new Rene Herse hot weather jersey allegedly made from plastic bottles washed up on Mediterranean beaches. BY FAR the best hot weather jersey I've worn. Expensive but worth it to me.

Reply to topic    

greglepore

6/5/20 7:55 AM

I had an overtake or something similar from Smith. I think their Koroyd is fine as mips, and it tests ok in the va tech tests, but I personally found it too warm in Va humidity. If you're ok with the ventilation, I don't know that the wavecell is all that much better.

Sparky

6/5/20 10:00 AM

"but I personally found it too warm in Va humidity."

Sounds like you may still possibly possess an insulating hair layer. I suspect my Overtake would be too hot if I also possessed said insulating layer.

Brian Nystrom

6/5/20 4:02 PM

Human hair has virtually no insulating value, though I guess it can block airflow through a helmet. Regardless, heat tolerance is a very personal thing.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/5/20 5:33 PM

"no insulating value"

Assuming like fiberglass strands, it is the air in the matrix doing the actual insulating, semantics not withstanding.

Brian Nystrom

6/6/20 4:59 AM

That's the way all insulation works, from hollow deer hair to Aerogel. It's all about trapping and/or slowing the movement of air, or sometimes other gasses like nitrogen, which is used in making neoprene.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/6/20 10:38 AM

End result as it applies to insulating, my point about my not having said insulating layer stands.

Where there is hair can get thick and provide for insulating effect, except it is never longer than 1/2" at worst.

When I first got the Overtake, I'd tilt my head down t see if I felt more flow. Considering the openings are like a deep honeycomb. The tubes of openings are radial from your head, so putting the top of your head down should align the 'tubes' with what your are riding into. In my minds eye I expected to feel the evaporation cooling effect of that air more with my head down but never noticed a difference.

I know I have not had hitch hikers nor got stung on the head, bees can't pass thru. Not that this happened more than once every other year or so.

greglepore

6/6/20 1:39 PM

At the time I did have hair. Now I have a covid buzz. Gave the helmet to my s/o so can't do a test. lol

Brian Nystrom

6/6/20 4:47 PM

If I gave Linda one of my helmets, it would fit about like this:

Reply to topic    

dan emery

6/6/20 5:35 PM

Complete info

Since I posted an opinion on ventilation, I should clarify that I still have hair. After my recent long delayed cut, the stylist commented “Got rid of that Bozo hair, huh?”

Reply to topic    

lrzipris

6/11/20 6:16 AM

Sparky, I just saw this through a link on RBR; anything here of help to you?

https://www.velonews.com/gear/swedish-group-tests-27-helmets-to-determine-the-safest-for-cyclists/

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/11/20 11:22 AM

Not sure one way or the other. I do not know the rep of the publisher as it pertains to marketing shilling etc..

Although "test was conducted by Swedish insurance company Folksam and funded through a grant by the Road Safety Trust, a United Kingdom-based group that funds road safety" seems encouraging certainly. ;)

Render a better answer after weeding thru the PDF link,

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5d0a03b295f37b00018da721/t/5ed69dd223ccb508fbc5c34f/1591123417043/Bicycle+Helmets+2020+Report+FINAL+MAY+2020.pdf

Sparky

6/11/20 12:00 PM

Like to see [if exists] previous data that might include some rating data of what I am actually wearing. ;)

There is no doubt I am doing a big assume that my Smith Overtake is good just based on it being MIPS.

But OTOH, it should be better than the previous older ones I decided to move forward in tech form. If my 180.00 Giro had not got walked away when I left it next to the car... it was getting old, so better it is gone?

I have two of those ultra light Giros that are on a self now that the Overtake is what I use al the time...

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -