HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Elliptical Bike

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dan emery

6/13/20 11:54 AM

Elliptical Bike

Out today on my algae patrol, a group of cyclists came the opposite way crossing the bridge. Included was some damn thing that looked like an elliptical machine on wheels. That may be exactly what it was, something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUpd2AfsFU4

The woman riding it looked athletic and serious as hell, and seemed to be keeping pace. Damn.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/13/20 12:36 PM

See these machines here, and more so lately. Looks like it might be fun to get that kind of workout outside @ 7-8 mph or so. ;)

My 30 miler the other day was an off the charts pollen day here. Nice to feel that scratch in your chest from the aggregate pollen particles for a few days after. Especially in CV-19 climate..

I have been using the mask, but keeping it hooded over my mouth like an overhang. Mostly not being near others. Has been been a few time I unfolded it upon congestion if/when. It is all just only slightly doing much really I figure. But you clear you throat with it on and others move away even further.

I am relying more on the numbers for my county being very very low and odds/prayer if I am honest with myself.

Multnomah County [Portland here]
cases/recovered/deaths 1,440/523/67

My county and mostly where I ride if not in the county fringes of this county
Clackamas County

455/171/14

I expect I may limit my sparse PDX loops further going forward. Nothing like trying to roll in NY/NJ statistically...

My old stomping grounds:
Bergen County, NJ 17,963/-/1,529 no published recovery stat apparently.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

lrzipris

6/13/20 3:20 PM

I want one with a motor.

Reply to topic    

cyclotourist

6/13/20 4:19 PM

There's a guy here in Brunswick that rides around on one of those. He really moves along. I don't think my fragile ego could stand it!

David

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/13/20 5:31 PM

You ARE the motor...

Brian Nystrom

6/13/20 7:11 PM

I've seen a few around here, generally on bike paths. While I'm sure they're fine at low-moderate speeds, the wind resistance of standing basically bolt upright is going to be horrendous, so I can't imagine them keeping up with bikes. I also wonder how well they climb; the ones I've seen look pretty heavy. I can't imagine that the small wheels are any fun on rough New England roads.

UPDATE: I answered my own question about weight; the lightest Ellipigo models is listed at 39.4 pounds and they range up to 44+. It reminds me of a my first 10-speed, a Schwinn Continental that weighed 42 and climbed like...well...a 42# bike.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/14/20 8:22 PM

How about this, new one on me.

Called Half Bike 2 apparently.

https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/bik/d/hillsboro-half-bike-2/7141853151.html

Sparky

6/14/20 9:22 PM

https://www.topspeed.com/lifestyle/news/halfbike-3-lets-you-dance-while-riding-sort-of-ar185703.html

Brian Nystrom

6/15/20 6:30 AM

Yikes! You're standing upright with your center of gravity very close to the front wheel. You have drum brakes that appear to work on the rear wheels, which makes sense because braking the front wheel would likely result in an instant face plant. How would you ever be able to stop going downhill? Those tiny tires can't create much braking force. Speaking of which, the combination of 20" and 8" (!) wheels would limit you to very smooth surfaces. It seems like a flat-and-smooth-ground-only toy to me.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/15/20 10:04 AM

Where is the 6lb carbon fiber model?

I too wondered mostly about stopping yourself on that thing. Definite flat lander to my eyes.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -