HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Tire tread patterns

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
KerryIrons

4/14/20 8:32 AM

Tire tread patterns

The advent of gravel bikes has resulted in a lot of "technology flashbacks" for me. Things that used to be "common" (650b wheels) but that had all but disappeared now all of a sudden have become semi-mainstream.

The latest example is tire tread patterns. Most of us remember "rib and file" patterns - ridges along the center of the tire with a herringbone pattern on the shoulders. And now I see an ad for a Kenda AlluviumPRO with a crosshatch tread pattern that looks exactly like the Wolber Renforce that was a popular CX and touring tubular in the late 70s and early 80s.

I guess it's like fashion. What goes around, comes around.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

4/14/20 9:27 AM

For that matter, rotational mass. And for all the riders that will spend for the tires that have the lowest CRR etc. ;)

For that matter, in the case of irony at it's best... I read a piece that in the CV-19 climate, bread baking is at an all time high. And high gluten diets are squarely on back burners.

We baked 4 yesterday in fact. Humans make odd decisions at odd times I guess.

Back to the tires, I see a lot of folks testing the 'gravel' waters that really are just using the platform to attain cush on pave. Seems first tires with 'tread' are short lived for the most part. And hand made open tubulars and such follow.

What percent of disc gravel are seeing gravel? It seems 'All Road" instead, and that this may really mean just more/worse roads. ;)

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dan emery

4/14/20 2:36 PM

Gravel tires

Well I don’t have Kerry’s historical knowledge of Wobbler tubulars (exceptional the loathsome “Vulnerable”) but I found Ted King’s tips on choosing tires for gravel interesting. He likes wide tires with no knobs for many conditions. I also liked that his fave pure road tire is the 32mm Rene Herse Stampede Pass, which is what I put on my RSL and love to death.

https://www.renehersecycles.com/ted-kings-tips-for-choosing-gravel-tires/

Reply to topic    

Sparky

4/14/20 4:53 PM

For me, I will take the smoother lighter but a little fatter. They will lack a little when things get slimy comparatively. But for me near a decade of motocross has had the benefit of fairly developed gyro in the balance dept.

For non pure go fast road I seem to like tire like these in 650b and 700.

WTB By-Ways 650b

Hutchinson Override 700

Next on my list, Gravelking non-sk:

Sparky

4/14/20 9:43 PM

"Rene Herse Stampede Pass"

How is the rear wearing, been meaning to ask??

I also grabbed a pair of Ritchey WCS Alpine JB I like a lot.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -