HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Fairwheel Bikes V3 Di2

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

4/30/20 11:28 AM

Fairwheel Bikes V3 Di2

I know a few of us are on PaceLine, may have seen this linked to in a for sale of/as frameset and some bits.

http://www.englishcycles.com/custombikes/fairwheel-bikes-v3-di2/

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Brian Nystrom

4/30/20 6:45 PM

It's pretty and it's definitely unique, but it's a rather odd build. Apparently, I just don't get the the point, if there is one.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

4/30/20 7:16 PM

The point of the design/build you don not get, or why I posted it?

Brian Nystrom

5/2/20 6:14 PM

The design/build. The workmanship looks top-notch, but I don't see the point of hanging a bunch of ultralight carbon components on a frame that's predominantly steel, then adding heavy, ultra-deep wheels on it that are mainly suitable for TTs. The general aesthetic is thin and light, but wheels weigh it down both visually and actually. I'm trying to figure out what kind of riding this is designed for, or if that was even a consideration. Was it just about achieving a certain look? Is it just some rich guy showing how much he can spend on a custom bike? Will it actually get ridden or is it just a pricey wall hanger?

Reply to topic    

Sparky

5/2/20 6:52 PM

"Will it actually get ridden or is it just a pricey wall hanger?"

It is built as an Aero Bike. I think they all stick big enves for the shows I guess. It has bladed steel fork and aero teardrop DT as well and the hidden rear brake, hidden cables in it's aero efforts.

I plan to ride it and do a catch and release after I hang some loose 6870 Di2 parts on it. It will be here Monday as a used frameset with quite a few bits included with the sale.

The lightness of it I hope to be an attribute in ride quality propensities. [At my weight, age, strength?]

Here is a shot more like how my build will be.

http://coupekiss.host-ed.me//images/pics/english-21_zpsipoezrpc-.jpg

Last edited by Sparky on 5/2/20 11:18 PM; edited 1 time in total

stan

5/2/20 9:59 PM

Sparky, your pic doesn’t show.

I love the looks. I’m imagining how it might look in some 40 deep wheels instead. Nice.

If I were building a new bike, it might have a steel frame. I like the ability for painting choices with steel.

Reply to topic    

dddd

5/2/20 11:16 PM

That is an interesting frame to look at! The carbon seat tube is striking and suggestive of ride comfort in the manner of my Trek Koppenberg "Domane".

Is it short wheelbase like my Koppenberg or long wheelbase like an actual Domane?

I will be interested in how this particular aero frame handles at speed, and how much it weighs(?).

I've been sort of curious abut the English brand since seeing their 10lb show road bike at NAHBS a few years ago.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

5/2/20 11:23 PM

WB=999 BB Drop 76 TT=587

It is nearly exact to my first Strong but with more stack.

It's cfg is my aggressive road position, maybe 1CM more stack.

Seller claimed "Actual weight is 14.2lbs as shown without pedals." in the pics with the low profile enves.

I am shooting for 16.5, but honestly dislike super light bikes, especially for descending at speed.

It's sexy minimalist look seduced me. ;)

stan

5/6/20 5:33 PM

That’s really light. I used to be a weight fanatic with a complete bike, including wheels and all the necessary stuff, at 13.5 lbs. But it was no quicker than a 16.2 lb steel bike. I did numerous rides with both over the same rout and essentially the same times.

That’s one of the sexiest bikes I’ve seen.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

5/10/20 1:37 PM

Frameset landed Friday.

Started tossing bits on, waiting on a few arriving this week. Did not have any dual mount brakes, ever...

The boxing person tore the hidden Di2 wire pulling the fork to box it up.

Putting a new Di2 wire thru stem/steer tube/DT install was time consuming and challenging. ;)

Colorful metaphoric uttering was involved...

stan

5/10/20 4:15 PM

Looks really nice. The contrasting black and white is perfect. I remember the good old days when Imcould handle that saddle to bar drop

Reply to topic    

Sparky

5/10/20 4:49 PM

It is a tad too much, and not sure how much planking is going to do it. I can get it to about 1CM lower than I need to target. So a little higher shifter mount and more bar tilt will be the order of the day/test ride. But this is my 2nd season 35lb lighter, and 2019 I got to 8.5CM drop comfortably, for go fast bike riding.

Will see how the season progresses and if 2nd season with no gut in the way I might get some more limberness back. Back being the key term. ;)

I mean using saddle setback number I am at last year+. Which also increased 2019 with the gut outta the way. I am near my 20 years ago position for go fast shit. I just can't go very fast anymore it seems like. ;)

I have been doing this 16 mile loop with a few big hills for a 200lb guy. Last ride I was 8 minutes less for the loop after lowering gears down and extra 5 GI for the low. It seemed like I was just as slow and it was the same effort. But my app told a different story...

stan

5/11/20 10:02 PM

Sparky,

Have you tried hamstring stretching. I know lots of cyclists lacking flexibility and suffering from back pain swear by stretching

Reply to topic    

Sparky

5/11/20 11:38 PM

Yes, often... And mid rides, twice in longer rides. Helps tremendously.

EDIT:

Rolled on it... still got some DI2 remote DIY buttons/harness to finish and wrap left side of bars.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -