HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

How we all doing y'all?
 Goto page Previous  1, 2

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

4/10/20 12:40 PM

The tree pollen is upon us like I have never seen before, O..M...G!

So rides net scratchy lungs/throat and a touch of headache. I am sure for some, a lot more than a touch of headache. Anything in your lungs, your brain just goes there too. CV-19 symptom, imagination? Maybe if I am lucky only a normal garden variety flu...

I have come to use my ears staying cooler as a gauge. If they start staying hot like I have a fever, I am going to freak out. ;O

So far everyone we know is holding fast and healthy. Even my Bergen County NJ friends are doing OK still. And that is NJs hot spot I believe.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dddd

4/11/20 10:55 AM

I made four solitary visits to the location of an abandoned/dumped rear-wheel-drive Craftsman lawn mower yesterday, still not fully diagnosed before I can justify hauling it home.
Got the ok from the church parking lot patrol that I take it, but I couldn't allow myself to bring it home and then bring it back (?!) if it's terminal.

Soooo, so far, no significant compression, though it took me some time to find out that the 2nd opening (per cycle) of one of the valves may not actually mean that it's a tight/leaking valve, rather that it's a compression-easing camshaft feature that reduces load on the electric starter. With the head off, the bore looks fine, and the gasket's "all there", going back today to apply air pressure through the spark plug hole to locate where the air is leaving (through the crankcase breather and I'm calling it terminal).

I should probably be posting this to Lawnmower Forum(?), LOL, but it's more about taking on a humbling challenge (mowers can flummox real mechanics who aren't so mower-specific in their learnings).

Reply to topic    

Sparky

4/11/20 3:20 PM

"should probably be posting this to Lawnmower Forum(?)"

I was trying to figure out what it might be code for. ;)

dan emery

4/11/20 3:31 PM

Leap of Faith

Well I’ve been riding a bit more than the last few years due to current circumstances, and I’m feeling better on the bike than I have in a few years (since I busted my femur, I’d say). I anticipate more riding time in the future as well, and am thinking I’d like to actually ride, as opposed to puttering. And an event is good motivation for that.

So I just signed up for D2R2, which is 8/15. Will give me motivation to ride. I think it’s entirely possible it won’t be held, or I will decide not to do it, due to virus considerations. But in that worst case, my fee goes to a good cause plus I get some cool swag I ordered, plus I am in better shape for preparing.

Anyway, this is my attempt to keep my a$$ in gear!

Reply to topic    

Sparky

4/11/20 4:01 PM

I read this:

The average speed on the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway has gone from 13 miles per hour to 52.

dddd

4/11/20 5:51 PM

They are catching a few going well over 100mph, the temptation of one's fast car and suddenly-empty roadways too much I guess.
But the Cty Sherriff hangs out at many of the entrance-exit ramp overcrossings, well-hidden but with a commanding view from both directions.

Re: the mower; I have learned more than once just never to give up, they always start eventually. Got it running finally after disabling the kill switch wire, seems the control cable had stretched to the point where the throttle lever at the engine wasn't moving quite far enough to break a contact there.
Dang, I think it's been seven ridden visits now, luckily it's close enough to home (and a downhill trip) that I can just walk this last time and roll it home. Seeing that these "Platinum" RWD mowers have actually sold for $200 recently on Ebay, even though it's a 15+ year old model.
Adding this to my list of things "found while riding".

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

4/12/20 9:43 AM

We've been doing a fair amount of riding, but mostly off-road. Linda bought a Pivot LES hardtail a few months back and she's quite fond of it. My Motobecane Ti hardtail had been my least-used bike for a while, but it's getting a lot more now. Lately, I've been driving myself nuts researching short-travel 29er trail bikes. It really never ends.

With the longer days, if it just would stop raining during the week, I'd really like get more road rides in. The Campy 10-speed gear on my primary road bike is showing it's age, so I may have to upgrade that, though I can't find the gearing I want in 11 or 12 speed cassettes (I don't need an 11 or 12 tooth cog). Oh well...

Reply to topic    

Steve B.

4/12/20 9:57 AM

It’s Shimano only, but I really like the “Junior” cassette 14-28, 11 spd. I spin out around 26 mph and have not yet found myself doing that on the flats.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

4/12/20 10:17 AM

"Junior” cassette 14-28, 11 spd. I spin out around"

Yeah, I love that cassette too. It does not fit on everything though. The small cog touched the chain stay on m Addict for example.

I don't try to go faster on descents anymore anyway, hitting 43-5 using my upper body as a sail to abate going faster is typical on descents. If I never did more than 35 again I'd be fine with that. As long as I break 100 GI on the high side, riding alone as I do mostly anymore...

But club rides 115-118 GI on some would be my choice. But also where I like the 14-28 with the small holes...

The Disc Lynskey is still locked on the 34 chainring, so 34/11 just has me quit bothering and just coasting, which is odd for my brain as I never stop pedaling habitually still.

Ordered a R7000 chainset to pop on some 30/46 rings for it.

Anyone seeing the buzz on all the 11s Shimano cranks debonding? I am selling off all my 6800 and R8000 chainsets currently..

dddd

4/12/20 10:30 AM

Those cranksets de-bonding seems to be a very small percentage of them, though it is a good number of cranksets when four and a half million of them are out there.
I would consider regional reports of failure in your particular area, since there seems to be a correlation with certain coastal areas.
Well since you have the checkbook out you might as well spring for the Rene Herse model(?).

Reply to topic    

Sparky

4/12/20 12:30 PM

"good number of cranksets when four and a half million of them are out there"

Like the Seagate drive in the 90s, They all failed, eventually. But when you have 80% market share it looks like all yours are the ones failing...

Brian Nystrom

4/12/20 2:00 PM

I really wish Campy make a 13-29, 12-speed cassette, or even an 11-speed. I could order customer Miche cassettes, but they don't make 12-speed yet and I feel that if I'm going to upgrade, I should do it all the way and not bother with 11 speed.

I've heard that Shimano/SRAM 12-speed cassettes are compatible with campy drivetrains, but they don't make the gearing I want, either.

Reply to topic    

Andy M-S

4/15/20 6:19 AM

Back when I was recovering from a broken hip, I made a cassette.

https://lawschoolissoover.wordpress.com/2012/11/26/mix-tape/

Eventually, I did the smart thing and put on smaller rings!

dfcas

4/15/20 7:55 AM

I was hoping Campy would come out with a 12-x 12 speed cassette but I assume they've been shut down by the virus. I plan to mix-match one or buy a 12-x if they make something I want.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -