Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

4/4/20 12:46 PM

How we all doing y'all?

Keeping the insanity at bay I hope. ;)

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Steve B.

4/4/20 3:55 PM

I’ve gotten 4 rides in this week, road, gravel and mountain bike. NY did not say no biking and I’m being careful. I’m also not under any pressure to get out at 8AM, yuk, yuk....

My closest sister (in age) in San Francisco has had CV for the past 3 days, fortunately not a severe case and she has no health issues, just a sore throat, head cold like symptoms and fatigue but no temp. They didn’t bother testing. As typical, no idea where she might have picked it up, but her condo complex health club and pool were open till yesterday and she was swimming daily. Scary how easy to contract.

Reply to topic    

Craig

4/4/20 4:18 PM

She might not have it if she hasn't been tested. I have a good friend who had all the symptoms (fever, shortness of breath, chest pain, fatigue) and was tested and it turned out negative. I get that your sister doesn't have insurance, but she should get tested anyway (Trump says it's free, right? He's never lied before....) because if she doesn't develop the antibodies she's at risk of getting it down the road and it might be worse if/when it's the real deal.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

4/4/20 5:13 PM

Doin’ OK

Riding definitely helps, got out today on the road bike for the first time since October (after a couple of missteps - couldn’t find my shoes (!) then realized the eTap batteries were run down). When I did get out, reminded me how much I love that bike (with my old man modifications of wider tires and wider gear ratio).

After quarantining following returning from South America, I’m working about enough to keep things afloat. Interesting with a small office, I have great staff and am able to manage. Feel terrible for newer small businesses with less flexibility - some of them might not make it.

I’m becoming familiar with ZOOM for various activities.

Steve, I am far from a doctor, but from what I’ve read the symptoms you describe for your sister don’t seem consistent with CV. I had head cold symptoms and a cough after returning from South America, but no SOB or fatigue (I didn’t measure temp) and my doc didn’t consider it likely CV. Now, to be careful I treated it as if it was, and your sister is wise to do the same. Good luck to her. I feel fine now.

Reply to topic    

lrzipris

4/4/20 6:49 PM

I get out to ride when the weather cooperates, as I'm not as hardy as I once was. Considering how my pastime options have narrowed, I may need to buck up and cope with the climate better.

As much as anything else, I miss the library because I've run out of reading material. (I only read books and journals that have actual pages I can turn.)

Reply to topic    

Steve B.

4/5/20 7:30 AM

Currently if you have 3 of the symptoms, they might not bother testing, will assume you have it as it's more likely to contract then a cold, as the virus spreads much easier (from what I understand). Thus they (your doctor) will just assume and have you quarantine. Even if all you've got is a head cold, you don't then want to be exposed to CV.

I'm just glad I can still get out on the bike, weathers been good as well.

Reply to topic    

Matthew Currie

4/5/20 7:36 AM

Catching up on yard work, missing the gym, not getting as much aerobic exercise as I thought I would, but virus free. I keep saying I should establish a hill-rich mountain bike course in my back field, and maybe this year I'll have to do it. Last year I did a bunch of rail trail riding, trying to make up for the flatness by going faster, but I have to drive 13 miles to get there.

Lots of road cyclists out when the weather is decent, and it's likely to be a pretty good season for that, but not, alas, for me. I resisted the temptation some years ago by selling my road bike and shoes. Roads are fairly sparse of traffic, but the cars and trucks that are out seem to be driving more crazily.

In the last few years my wife and I have been doing a lot of traveling, and that's on hold. A recent trip to Patagonia was interrupted and we had a fairly complicated route home. We planned the Dalmation coast in June, but expect that to be cancelled soon.

Lots of books and movies and the like, and I've always said I'd catch up if I got sick or confined or whatever, but restlessness gets in the way.

Reply to topic    

Andy M-S

4/5/20 10:52 AM

👍 Still Alive

I've had a few rides this past week, lots of walks, and much boredom.

It's possible that I had the virus back in mid-February; one of my colleagues has a client who is based in China, and that client had traveled there and back in late January (IIRC). The colleague had what we thought was a bad cold, and then a week later I crashed for 4 days. Hardly moved from bed for three days, existed almost solely on Gatorade.

But we'll have to see what happens. It's scary as hell here in Connecticut, on the edge of the NY Hotspot.

Matthew Currie

4/5/20 12:30 PM

Andy, it's been a while since I was back at my birth place, but are you saying there was a time when New Haven wasn't a little bit scary?

Just kidding (almost) but hope you're enough out of the main stream to stay safe.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

4/5/20 1:21 PM

I got in an MTB ride yesterday on some less crowded trails that those I normally ride. I'm about to head out for road ride now. So far, so good!

Oops, it's starting to sprinkle, so no ride today. Tomorrow's supposed to be nicer anyway and I can probably sneak in a 2-hour lunch to ride.

Reply to topic    

Andy M-S

4/5/20 2:26 PM

@Matthew

I've had less trouble in New Haven than in a number of places. I like it! Lots of food, even if the pizza can't touch Chicago.

The courts closed down pretty early, and I have been working from home, so I think we're about as safe as one can be...

We took a trip to Portugal the first week of the new year. We were going to wait for Tess's spring break. Very glad now that we didn't wait.

dan emery

4/5/20 3:01 PM

Hamden

My brother lives there. Yalies walking dogs and kids. :)

I was there Christmas, took a nice ride on a multiuse path with my nephew. Don’t remember the name, started not too far from Armory & Whitney, out and back about 25 mi total. Somewhat icy, the canny veteran had better tires :)

Good to hear from you Andy, been awhile.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

4/5/20 7:26 PM

I got out today for a 60^ ride. Been colder for a bit, what I call refrigerator temps.

I went up over the hill between my area and next actual town on the river west [0' above sea level]. We are 500 ft higher basically.

Plan was to hit the MUTT that runs to the river. I hit it mid point and it was plastered with folks not exercising much social distancing. I did a 180 and just went out on all the roads I have been not riding on these last few years. It was nice out on the road with no cars to speak of. ;)

Even enjoyed that +15% section coming back up. And no one out to watch the joke that is me going up a +15% hill.

Brian Nystrom

4/6/20 5:22 AM

It's an interesting paradox that people who are trying to get exercise to stay healthy are congregating outdoors and putting themselves at increased risk of contracting the virus. I wonder if a lot of the crowding is due people who would normally be at a gym or an exercise class, but can't do that currently. It seems that the road is the best place to be now. It's supposed to be nice today, so I plan to fit in a ride at some point.

Reply to topic    

rickhardy
Location: Needham outside of Boston - the hub of the universe

4/6/20 7:27 AM

A Koan

Out training most every day for races that no longer exist

Reply to topic    

Andy M-S

4/6/20 10:18 AM

@Dan

Yes, it's been a time. Law school deprived me of a lot of time to do a lot of things, but I decided to check back to see how folks are doing.

I know that trail well--there's an entrance just a couple of blocks from my house, about (I've never checked closely) 4 miles from New Haven.

I'm glad to see a lot of folks I know are still around. I stay in touch with some others on FB.

My cycling remains utilitarian, though the Kogswell went a while back...I was injured during a commute to work, and took the opportunity to build a new bike ;-) AND to buy a house.

Dan, I'm mostly working from home these days, save for occasional client meetings. Fortunately, the office is just me and one other lawyer and--soon--an intern. Your practice involves a few more people, IIRC. How are you doing there?

Sparky

4/6/20 11:04 AM

"build a new bike ;-) AND to buy a house. "

If in that order, spoken like a true TTFer. ;)

Andy M-S

4/6/20 11:40 AM

Yes, in that order. ;-)

greglepore

4/6/20 11:58 AM

Training and avoiding people. In other words, biz as usual. My son's fil has the virus in a bad way, liver and kidney failure and a vent. Luckily he's tolerating dialysis, so the odds of survival are up from the initial 20% estimate.

Sparky

4/6/20 3:19 PM

Hoping for more good news Greg, that is some though...

dan emery

4/6/20 3:32 PM

@Andy

Office: I have 2 assistants and I’m just reentering after being out of the country a couple weeks and then quarantining. We deal with the feds and that’s mostly shut down, at least for now. Right now we’re all coming in a bit (one at a time) to keep things afloat. I told them they could stay home but they want to come in. It will be a crunch when things open up again. I’ve cut back a bit but am not interested in retiring.

I’m also spending a fair amount of time with Board activities for the state’s Legal Services group, which is actually one of the state’s larger law firms. Some problems they deal with, like evictions and domestic violence, get even worse in this environment.

Are you still doing mediation?

Reply to topic    

Andy M-S

4/6/20 5:23 PM

@@Dan

Yes, some. It's not terribly sexy, but once people get the idea, they seem to like it. But I do a lot more legal work these days, sad to say. Connecticut has got things confined to four or five courthouses, and those are handling only "Priority 1" matters (criminal and domestic violence arraignments and the like). And the federal courts are near shut-down here as well. I have some contracts to work on and that's about it.

I spoke with a prospective client today by phone; it's a non-Priority family matter, and who knows when it will actually turn into something?

Fortunately, I also teach at SCSU, part-time, and that's still going on via remote learning. My spouse has tenure at SCSU, and it's a union shop, so our income and health care seem OK. But it's a very uncertain situation. Our neighbor teaches at the University of Hartford, and they just stopped contributing to retirement plans.

I'm sure one of the reasons your staff wants to come in has to do with the change of scene. Tess and I take walks a few times a day, and I try to get in a ride, just to see the world outside our doors.

Yeah, it's gonna be crunch time when things start moving again. I suspect that people who specialize in divorce are going to be getting a lot of business.

Steve B.

4/6/20 6:45 PM

I’m a tenured employee of the City University of NY which essentially closed 3/13. I’m actually surprised we were not furloughed or put on half or lag pay as we were in ‘95 during a major NYC financial crisis. Our checks come from the State of NY (all 4 year schools) but they and the City are hemorrhaging money in this crisis. I can see it’s going to be 7-10 years before the economy recovers and a lot of small and marginal businesses will not come back.

Reply to topic    

dfcas

4/6/20 7:31 PM

I shut my business down 3 weeks ago, so I'm doing honey do jobs and whatever to occupy my time until I start back up.. Local MUT is extremely busy so I'm trying to ride at odd times and on rainy days I ride the trainer. All in all West Virginia has done pretty well and issued a stay at home order before we got in very deep. Like a true West Virginian, I'm just waiting on my stimulus check:)

lrzipris

4/10/20 9:16 AM

I officiate youth/school sports. Well, once upon a time, I did. I just lost my entire spring soccer season, and summer basketball and baseball will probably get canceled, too.

On the positive side, my cycling mileage is likely to go up.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -