Hot topic over on thepaceline.net

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nK8CclQNjo4

https://www.gofundme.com/f/teenage-cyclist-unjustly-arrested

https://www.bikelaw.com/2020/02/arrested-teen-cyclist/

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Steve B.

2/11/20 7:34 PM

This has been on a lot of websites

Gotta wonder if the cops are going to handcuff and take in everybody that runs a stop sign.

My thought from the video was had I been a cyclist I’m not sure a police car with a siren would be passing me on the way to another call, or actually pulling me over. Obviously the officer reacted very aggressively (IMO) in determining that the cyclist initial failure to pull over was “resisting arrest”. I’m pretty certain the cyclists had no clue at the actual intersection of what was about to occur, likely they may not have even noticed the officers. And the kids are underage ?, would they even have been told (as they would be in say, Drivers Ed class) that they need to pull over when they are aware of an emergency vehicle overtaking them. Some doubt as to that maybe. Edit: Kid is 18, but handcuffs ?

Obviously there’s more to the story, he said, she said, etc..... it’ll be interesting what the judge asks the arresting officer as to his thinking.

I and a group of fellow riders were stopped once on a local group ride for running a stop sign. We’re were verbally warned for about 10 minutes. I did all the talking for the group and it was all “yes officer”, “you are absolutely correct officer”, etc.... I was not handcuffed.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

2/11/20 8:12 PM

The cop is an asshole, plain and simple, and a disgrace to his uniform. Aside from the fact that this arrest was complete BS, he repeatedly lied to everyone there. He should be fired, end of story. There was no need for anything beyond a warning to stop at stop signs or perhaps a traffic ticket. On top of it all, he's dialing his phone and gabbing while driving and repeatedly taking both hands off the wheel. Hopefully, the prosecutor will take one look at the video and refuse to pursue the case. Worst case, if it actually goes to court, maybe the judge will slam this jerk of a cop and let the kid go.

And $8500 bail? Really?

And you wonder why there's huge distrust - and even hatred - of cops in this country...

Reply to topic    

Sparky

2/11/20 9:44 PM

I may be projecting, but the chaw spitting and 'locale' make for a high probability as soon as he heard the accent and the browner face...

The other issue I have is the audio feed being gone in spots and the hand over the lens of the body cam on some of the released stuff.

You would not want me on the jury if the cop was getting prosecuted for anything related to this. Or he wouldn't...

Isn't 8500.00 really just 850.00 for the bond??

Brian Nystrom

2/12/20 6:28 AM

I agree that the way he (or whoever) censored the audio and video is highly suspicious. I wouldn't be surprised if there were racist remarks or other incriminating language being exchanged in those gaps. Doing that required awareness and premeditation.

As for the bond, it still seems excessive, though perhaps it's standard for cases where someone is facing a potential felony charge.

Reply to topic    

lrzipris

2/12/20 8:27 AM

I just dropped in and saw this. Particularly as a (retired) public defender, I'm appalled by, but all too familiar with, these kinds of official abuses. Cash bail for a teenager with local community ties?

Resisting arrest? Fwiw, resisting arrest is, in PA, a misdemeanor; in Florida, RA without violence is also a misdemeanor, I think. The equally BS fleeing charge is also a misdemeanor, in PA. All the more reason the bail is excessive, punitive and inappropriate.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

2/12/20 11:13 AM

"I wouldn't be surprised if there were racist remarks or other incriminating language being exchanged in those gaps."

And that is pretty much my point regarding me sitting on a jury. This alone would have me have more than reasonable doubt.

Anyone remember Mike Nifong / Duke LaCross case...

Tom Price

2/13/20 8:50 AM

Running the stop sign is a legit charge but the fleeing / resisting charges appear to be a case of "cycling while Latino".

walter

2/13/20 3:44 PM

PREACH!!!

quote:
The cop is an asshole, plain and simple, and a disgrace to his uniform. Aside from the fact that this arrest was complete BS, he repeatedly lied to everyone there. He should be fired, end of story. There was no need for anything beyond a warning to stop at stop signs or perhaps a traffic ticket. On top of it all, he's dialing his phone and gabbing while driving and repeatedly taking both hands off the wheel. Hopefully, the prosecutor will take one look at the video and refuse to pursue the case. Worst case, if it actually goes to court, maybe the judge will slam this jerk of a cop and let the kid go.

And $8500 bail? Really?

And you wonder why there's huge distrust - and even hatred - of cops in this country...

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -