HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Think there may be a rush to complete?

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

1/24/20 1:37 PM

Think there may be a rush to complete?

Friend eMailed me this pic with the following message.

"This is a hospital under construction in Wuhan, China for Coronavirus patients. I guess they think this virus MAY BE A PROBLEM. WOW!"

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Brian Nystrom

1/24/20 3:33 PM

It seems pretty far-fetched that a new hospital would be dedicated to a single, new disease. It sounds like somebody saw a opportunity to create some clickbait.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/24/20 4:01 PM

"somebody saw a opportunity to create some clickbait"

Possibly

He is a retired pharmacist. I did not ask if it came via the Internets or he got the link via AMA journals. Which Is more likely knowing him.

EDIT:Asked him, he said:"I got the story on NY Times opinion email."

dan emery

1/24/20 5:21 PM

Dedicated hospital

Mercy Hospital in Portland was founded in 1918 to respond to the Flu Pandemic.

That disease likely was considerably more widespread at the time, and I don’t know what’s going on in China.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/24/20 5:29 PM

"considerably more widespread at the time"

Make the case for expediency perhaps. Considering something like 1/2 million folks are in the air at any given time. As compared to how many were in 1918, that are about to disembark at a destination.

Sparky

1/24/20 8:18 PM

On the topic. Leaving the cardio Doc consult earlier for my recent echo cardiogram 1 year follow up.

I was asked if I have traveled to CHN or knew anyone that has of late...

dan emery

1/25/20 6:35 AM

Rush to complete

I saw a report that the hospitals in Wuhan were overwhelmed and had no capacity. And they don’t want to transport people, right? So while I at first thought along with Brian’s post, it makes sense to me they’d want to put up more space pronto.

Reply to topic    

dddd

1/25/20 7:18 PM

As a site for a temporary structure like some sort of glorified tent?

Might be better than contaminating all of the regular buildings and staff that might not be adequately prepared to deal with caring for large numbers of contagious patients.

Reply to topic    

Craig

1/25/20 11:46 PM

1000 beds. 2 weeks. It's a modular building of some sort, probably more than a tent. And it's a quarantine center, not a hospital per se. Probably more about limiting the spread than anything.

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/world/coronavirus-chinese-officials-plan-to-build-1-000-bed-quarantine-center-in-less-than-2-weeks

Reply to topic    

dan emery

1/26/20 8:29 AM

Another

It’s reported this morning that they are putting up a second 1,000 bed facility. I’ve seen it described as “field hospital” and “makeshift hospital.”

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/26/20 9:30 AM

So not so much click bait Brian? Although I thoroughly agreed that was not unlikely after I read your post, seems not in this case.

I am from the school of mind, if a gov sez 'X#' dead, it is #x3 at a minimum. Resent US example if brain injuries understated from pressure wave et al.

What does it say two 1000 bed facilities are being put into service 'so fast' in terms of reported/represented cases I gotta wonder.

Brian Nystrom

1/26/20 9:49 AM

I saw a report yesterday that it was expected to be completed in a couple of weeks, which clearly indicates that it's a temporary structure. I incorrectly assumed from the initial info from your friend that they were building a permanent structure, which wouldn't make any sense.

I agree that the Chinese government is probably way under-reporting the number of cases, as why else would you build a 1000 bed facility - let alone more than one - if you have only the small number of cases they've reported?

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/26/20 10:57 AM

"I incorrectly assumed from the initial info"

My initial impression looking at the pic and heavy equipment was a permanent structure too.

Brian Nystrom

1/28/20 7:39 AM

Now I understand why they're in such a hurry, as the number of cases has exploded. Somebody wasn't telling the rest of the world what was actually going on...

I know, that's hard to imagine from China. ;-)

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

1/29/20 10:30 AM

Finger pointing

And the finger pointing has already begun. The mayor said he would have taken action sooner but needed to get permission from Beijing and that slowed things down. It turns out human nature is universal, though perhaps exacerbated in repressive regimes (see: Iran airliner shoot-down).

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/30/20 6:56 PM

One news outlet reporting:

Coronavirus Cases Jump to More Than 7,000, as Four Countries Report New Infections Outside of China

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -