HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Cycling attire and Sexual Selection

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dan emery

12/30/19 4:16 PM

Cycling attire and Sexual Selection

In preparation for a trip to the Galapagos, I am reading “The Beak of the Finch,” an explication of evolution theory with emphasis on the work done on “Darwin’s Finches” in the Galapagos.

In the midst of this rather dense tome, I came across this passage, describing the coloration of South American Guppies:

“The lucky guppies in the headwaters wear sporty coats of many colors, and each color is represented by clownish splotches. Many of their spots are blue. These spots are iridescent, like the Day-Glo patches that cyclists wear; they flash as the fish swim, and they can be seen at a great distance through the clear water.”

The cyclist-like Day-Glo coloration is a sexual advantage, but is also visible to predators; so in areas of low predation, it is prevalent due to sexual selection as it helps attract a mate; whereas in areas of high predation natural selection rules it out and the Guppies are more drab.

Not sure it works out quite that way for cyclists....

Anyway, funny to see this offhand reference to cyclist attire in a scholarly work. I am no scientist, but the book is fascinating BTW....

Reply to topic    

Wheels

12/31/19 12:28 PM

Galapagos

Dan,

Can't help with the cycling attire situation.. Black shorts always for me and then whatever jersey fits and is clean on top.

I hope that your trip to the Galapagos goes as well as ours. Probably one of the best trips of my life. We did a island cruise and visited like 14 different spots on I think 8 islands the i marine iguana's and turtles were my favorites, but it was cool to see all types of unique species.

We just booked our next bucket list trip to Kenya for a safari. I want to do the Antartica trip too (that you did), but the wife unit isn't much interested.

Have fun. The snorkeling is phenomenal.

Wheels

Reply to topic    

dan emery

12/31/19 1:29 PM

Galapagos

Thanks Wheels, Rick told me about your trip. I've also got a pre-tour in an Ecuador cloud/rain forest and a post-tour at Machu Picchu. Snorkeling is an option and sounds great. The trip is through Williams Alumni and there is a top-notch marine ecology professor on board. It turns out I have a cousin (whom I haven't seen for ages) who's studied land iguanas for years.

I know a number of people who've been to Africa and loved it. Have fun. On the Antarctica trip there was a couple where the husband convinced the wife to go by booking a deluxe cabin.

Reply to topic    

PLee

1/1/20 7:18 PM

Snorkeling with the marine iguanas, sea turtles, and sea lions, and reef sharks, and manta rays!!! You definitely have to do the snorkeling. And make sure you have a waterproof camera. Worth it!

Kenya and Tanzania for the Great Migration in the Serengeti is our family trip for this year, in August. Followed up with a couple of days in Rwanda trekking after gorillas.

Reply to topic    

Wheels

1/2/20 2:20 PM

PLee

Email off list re: Africa trip. We are over there at same time.

hurley_bill(at)hotmail(dot)com.

Wheels/Bill

Reply to topic    

PLee

1/2/20 5:47 PM

Sent you an email.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -