HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

OT: Outlook/Gmail

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
KerryIrons

12/1/19 11:14 AM

OT: Outlook/Gmail

Starting yesterday (Saturday, 11-30-19) two issues popped up with my email system. I'm using Outlook on my laptop with an IMAP connection to Gmail.

When I delete messages in Outlook, they don't appear in the trash on either Outlook or Gmail, but they are in All Mail in Gmail. If I delete them in Gmail, they do appear in the trash.

Can receive messages just fine in Outlook but when I send a message, it is just sitting in the Outbox. One of the messages is a reply, and the other was composed new. This is different than an old problem I still have where there is nothing in the Outbox but Outlook thinks there is and waits 30 seconds to shut down while it tries to send the non-existent message.

When I look at Account Settings in Outlook, I see that I have two email accounts, both with my gmail address and both shown as IMAP/SMTP. One of the accounts (not the one selected) has a (1) at the end. Don't know if this is in any way meaningful. Likewise don't now if this is in any way meaningful but the problem started the day after a power restoration (45 hour outage). Things worked fine the day the power came back on (Friday) but starting Saturday, deleted messages don't appear in the trash and sent messages stay in the Outbox.

I reinstalled Office but no joy. I've done a bunch of searching with no luck. Ideas? Previously it has been suggested that I disconnect Outlook and Gmail and then re-establish the connection, but I can't figure out how to do that, so any help there would be appreciated.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

12/1/19 11:44 AM

Did you check the archive/auto archive settings?

I seem to recall, although I do not recall, the hanging outlook message not in out box but not sent. It may take killing a restarting the service. Or restarting in safe mode then reboot straight??

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Steve B.

12/1/19 1:42 PM

A (1) tag on a file in Windows typically indicates a copy of the original, it's Windows method of dealing with a file saved with the same name.

Not sure that's of any help to you, but if you see 2 files names the same, you are usually OK deleting the (1) file.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

12/1/19 2:04 PM

Get rid of Outlook

I've been using Thunderbird with both IMAP and POP3 accounts for many years (including Gmail) without any problems. Although I've had to use Outlook on work computers, it's a pain in the a$$ and I would never choose to use it if I had a choice.

Remember, there's an inverse relationship between your happiness and the number of Microsoft products you use. ;-)

Reply to topic    

Sparky

12/1/19 3:18 PM

I am also doing likewise with Thunderbird for a few years at least. I like the usual Mozilla Add-ins you can tweak the app with.

KerryIrons

12/1/19 5:41 PM

Fixed

Got it working again by backing up everything and then deleting the profiles and letting Outlook re-establish the connection. Got rid of the phantom emails in the outbox as well.

This was recommended by somebody when I had the phantom problem but I never got up the nerve to do it. My son-in-law does some IT support for his small engineering company and between the two of us, we did it. I HATE computer issues that pop up randomly like this.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

12/2/19 8:19 PM

Wanna' have some real fun? Try networking Windows 10 computers, especially with different versions (Home, Pro, Enterprise). It's an F-ing nightmare! I've had veteran IT people tell me not to even bother to try. I've had limited success getting 3 machines with different versions to share files, but I can't even get reliable bi-directional sharing. For example, my laptop can see my primary desktop and copy files back and forth, but the laptop isn't even visible on the desktop, despite both machines having the same sharing settings. The bottom line is that MS just plain sucks!

Reply to topic    

Sparky

12/2/19 8:46 PM

I got outta the biz before/when the file server was a Netware Server that was VG at doing just that, Serving files. I only used Windows/NT for Exchange and Proxy duties...

KerryIrons

12/3/19 12:22 PM

Autocomplete

As a follow up, the "reboot" of Outlook erased the list of email addresses for which autocomplete takes place. Needless to say this is many hundreds of addresses. I've dug around looking for a fix but haven't found anything. The folder that is supposed to hold the autocomplete list has only DAT files but the help guides talk about a different file type. Most of the help guides explain how to carry your autocomplete list from earlier versions of Outlook which is not my issue. I did try deleting the DAT files created since the reboot, hoping that Outlook would go back to an earlier file that had the list, but it didn't work.

This is not life and death because autocomplete will repopulate over time, but it would be great if I didn't have to look up all those email addresses in the mean time. Any ideas?

Reply to topic    

Matthew Currie

12/3/19 10:25 PM

Here's one crazy idea. If the addresses actually still exist somewhere, perhaps another email program can find them. I think Thunderbird, for example, can import from Outlook, and it presumably knows where to look. If it can and does, then perhaps you can then get Thunderbird to find either the latest or an earlier list and import it. Then if Outlook has an import feature you can import it back.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -