HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

vision surgery: anyone have "accommodating" lens

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
walter

12/13/19 10:54 AM

vision surgery: anyone have "accommodating" lens

it's basically an artificial cataract lens replacement, but the lens technology is focuseable.

https://www.allaboutvision.com/conditions/accommodating-iols.htm

anyone have one or both eyes thusly equipped?

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

12/13/19 4:08 PM

I think that is a [pre-surgical] lens prep like a bi-focal contact, but not positive.

So unless you are too cloudy in the lens [cataract] couldn't you try a bi-focal contact?

In fact a friend who just had both eyes done whom went for the monocular approach rather than multi focal [pre-lasik new lens preparation]. Well, he had one re-done as the pre-lasik applied to dial in the lens was not optimum.

He had a choice of re-doing both or trying to retrain his brain for dominant eye for the monocular vision.

FWIW, I have tried bi-focal soft contacts and the monocular approach with a non dominant eye under corrected 1 full diopter lower. This eye takes over focusing on 'reading' and the other eye takes a back seat. My brain had no issue with it. Except Dr. said he she would have preferred the lower diopter on the dominant eye, but that eye in my case has astigmatism so she went with the non dominant eye.

This worked for me and I liked it a lot actually. 'BUT' at night driving or reading in lower light I got headaches. Day time I was fine.

I can say night driving with non monocular correction [corrected fully both eyes] I have no problem. So I don't think, nor recall any suggestion the astigmatism factor was causal.

Oh, I should mention I disliked the bi-focal contacts due to longer range vision acuity suffering. Which IIRC is part and parcel. I'd not use the term adjustable personally. More like eye motion adjustments to get into a different focal portion, in the case of the contact. Not unlike looking over under or around a bifocal or progressive portion in a glasses RX.

That's all I got... And I think it is a lot, and hope descriptive enough as to be helpful.

dfcas

12/14/19 10:05 AM

Walter are you having cataract surgery and trying to decide on a lens? If so I will type a long response with my experience.

walter

12/14/19 8:50 PM

scenario

vision isnt terrible and no cataracts.

just curious if this might be worth considering.

sounds like there's too much variability in the years after the procedure.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -