HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Here's an interesting one for the weight weenies

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Brian Nystrom

10/24/19 11:28 AM

Here's an interesting one for the weight weenies

How about a 13# bike with disc brakes and tubeless clinchers?

https://pocketoutdoormedia.us16.list-manage.com/track/click?u=269a075c681ee2e3d2765f9d7&id=a13220f944&e=0c3704f645

Even if you swap out the saddle for something that's actually comfortable, you would still be around 13.5#. Sweet!

Reply to topic    

henoch

10/24/19 12:58 PM

Any way to swap out the price?

Reply to topic    

dan emery

10/24/19 1:02 PM

part of the weight weenieness

Lightens your wallet

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/24/19 2:01 PM

20 lb bike yesterday, 16 today. But that is with all the crap loaded too. But I can say that I have crossed into/under the 200 lb mark personally, so extra 8 missing since four rides ago. Hitting the next phase. ;)

I find bike for a clyde my size do feel less stable under 15 lb, on crap pave at bottom of descents especially. My Look 585 is right there, fatties help a bit...

But at least I can't say anymore, "that bike would break just from me looking at it"

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Brian Nystrom

10/24/19 5:54 PM

I didn't realize that you had a 585 too. What size tires are you running? I've got 25s on narrow rims and it looks like I could squeeze 28 in (it'll be tight at the rear brake bridge), but that's about it.

As for the Canyon, the only thing on it that I would classify as "stupid light" is the saddle. Everything else seems quite reasonable functionally, just crazy expensive.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/24/19 6:22 PM

I am running 25mm Paves on 17C rims on the Look . This bike does not need extra help in the smooth dept being solidly my most pimp eat vibration ride..

I stopped posting every acquired steed, felt it was getting boring... my sickness, not the appropriations. Other mid/late 2019 additions are a 2013 mint S-Works Tarmac, and a Pink Frosting Di2 Crockett CX, 2017 maybe? I have liquidated a few in my defense. ;)

The Look and the Tarmac are neck and neck for stupid light title here. The Parts BMW M Racer [smaller Large] I got for the SR Groupo and wheels is down there too in the 15 lb area. But I don't ride that. Well I did for a few rides. But have stuff that fits more betterer.

On the Look I first had 25mm GP4K on 19C rims and had 'some' breathing room. IIRC that is 27.5-28mm inflated.

Wider rim looses tire height as you know, if you are tight to the brake bridge or caliper. Which is it, bridge or caliper. I know the Spectrum Ti Super fit a 28 with the 7800 calipers I first tried it out with. When I put the SR brakes on, it touched. So I did a 2.5mm JB Weld epoxy dropout padding to lower the wheel.

Nice to see the stupid light disc bike/link shows it actually has reasonably built wheels too.

Brian Nystrom

10/25/19 5:40 AM

Funny, for me the Look is actually quite stiff, especially the front end, though you wouldn't expect it based on the size of the frame tubes and the fork. Before I bought it, I was told by a local sprinter that it was one his favorite race bikes and I understand why. It's comfortable enough with 25mm GP4Ks on it, so I hadn't really planned to switch to wider rims or tires.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/25/19 10:38 AM

"It's comfortable enough with 25mm"

It really is. But the edge a wide rim gives a tire profile adds sweetness to feel generally. It may actually go unnoticed on this it rides so well.

HSC# forks to me are and have always been about the nicest forks in terms of sweet spot of stiff enough and sweet ride. It is stiff enough, I am guessing body weight sorts our opinions. I did not have it when 230+ lbs.

The frame/fork/HS/LookSeatpost/Ti saddle and a 140 Deda Stem presented itself locally in July for $300.00. It is just perfect in the fit dept. Just not with the 140 Deda stem it came with. ;)

I did not realize you had one too. This and the Ti Spectrum are as 'forever' bike as it gets IMO.

With all I have heard about how these feel and ride, I know Walter and Dan [WVirginee] have only raves for these, I ran and grabbed it. It had been striped to bare carbon by Rukus, the carbon repair Pros here in PDX. It was boxed after being striped and waited six years alone in the box for me. ;)

I kept it nude and give a coat of 303 Aerospace Protectant after the occasional cleaning.

Here is what the 300 space bucks got me:

Sparky

10/25/19 11:28 AM

Still eTap, but more 'Mortal' oriented build in the low $7k range. This page shows iterations/pricings.

https://www.canyon.com/en-ae/road-bikes/race-bikes/ultimate/ultimate-cf-evo-10.0-ltd/1140.html#detailed-geometry-section-tab

dddd

10/25/19 3:24 PM

The LOOK sure has a sharp look to it, a highly-regarded carbon masterpiece imo.

When I measured tire height going from an i13mm rim to an i16mm rim, the height definitely got taller, this with 23, 25 and (labeled) 28mm tires, none wider than 26mm inflated.

I wonder how wide that a rim has to get (relative to tire width) before the height begins to fall with further increases in width? My mtb would make a good case study here, running 2.4" (66mm actual) on i51mm rims!

Your bike acquisition is certainly no worse than mine, but my recent purchases have been classic steel for a change.

I bought and submitted $70 worth of raffle tickets, and thus came home with a 1994 Davidson Impulse in top condition three weekends ago.
Just got back from riding a total of 49 miles on it including today's weekly Fast Friday ride.
This after buying a Yoshi Konno-built Specialized Allez 1st-gen just last month. In my defense here I quickly sold my two-cm-too-large Konno Allez that I had just left sitting for the last five or six years.

Allow me to post a big photo of my latest:

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/25/19 4:03 PM

Davidson looks very nice.

I kind of was also heading more/mostly steel, but shit happened.

I sold the Disc Conquest, two Traitor Crusades, and the Lynskey Helix. So I looked a little and got that Look and the SWorks Tarmac as fuselages and Crockett with about 1/2 the coin. I scavenged the TRP Hylex hydro systems off the Traitors, reason for buy/flip. Still made extra coin, best deal of the year. ;)

I was kind of after the carbon wheels off the Crockett. But it turns out the pink thing fits well and I like it to ride. Aluminum and 32mm tires, fits 40s.

Last edited by Sparky on 10/25/19 4:29 PM; edited 1 time in total

Sparky

10/25/19 4:14 PM

"Yoshi Konno-built Specialized Allez 1st-gen"

Like the American Flyers bikes?

Post a pic of that, those are way cool too. You got a good eye. ;)

Since the pics, the Tacmac has the carbon wheels, and the Crockett has Open Pro Power Tap wheelset.

The Crockett was too good to pass up while I had cash laying around from the sales of the other stuff. It was a new frameset with a used Di2 10 speed setup, new internal battery, charger, like new Bonty Carbon wheels with new tires, tape, cables both Di2 wires and brakes, brakes are onyx cantis. New saddle and the carbon high end Bonty bars also new. The ones that come on the $10k Domanes. $650 space bucks.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -