HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

I thought Icelandic was complicated....

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Matthew Currie

8/28/19 2:07 PM

I thought Icelandic was complicated....

But here's a no bike parking sign in Danish and Greenlandic! ( actually I think it might be more like "don't put your bike in here.")

[img]
https://www.dropbox.com/s/i20gh3z1z1z69xx/greenlandic%20cycle%20sign.jpg?dl=0[/img]

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/28/19 2:19 PM

Translates to "Bicycles Not Included", one possible translation anyway...

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dan emery

8/28/19 3:34 PM

Are you in Greenland?

If so, awesome. I want to get there sometime.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/28/19 4:27 PM

My brother was stationed at Thule for 2 tours AFB. He liked it there once he met his now wife. Kirsten, a Danish subsidized [by U$] worker augmenting services at the AFB.

I first thought she just wanted a citizenship route. 35+ years later I can say happily I was wrong about that. In fact, they are new grandparents as of the other day.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Nick Payne

8/28/19 9:09 PM

About 25 years back (when Windows 95 first appeared) I wrote a Windows shell extension to perform file encryption, which I distributed as freeware, and with the help of people in different countries I eventually had it available in about nine different European languages. I would send the English text strings used in the program and get back the translations in another language. For most of the languages I could see the relationship between the English and the translation, with the exception of Finnish, which appeared to be completely alien to other European languages.

In Vanuatu, where I used to travel for work every so often, signage is often in three languages - English, French, and Bislama (Vanuatu Pidgin English), with Pidgin being the main language used. Some of the Pidgin phrases are quite evocative - for example, "sit-sit water" is the Pidgin phrase for "diarrhea".

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -