HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Who else is watching the Vuelta?

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Brian Nystrom

9/6/19 6:04 AM

Who else is watching the Vuelta?

Although some seem to regard it as the "red-headed stepchild" of Grand Tours, it's been a really interesting and unpredictable race so far. The lead has changed hands several time and two of the top contenders are from Slovenia, of all places. There have been dramatic stage victories, insanely steep climbs and surprises around every corner. While I can't get as excited about it as I do with the Giro or Tour, it's been a fun race to watch!

Reply to topic    

henoch

9/6/19 10:58 AM

I am watching it, it has been a great race so far.
The climb today was insane.

Reply to topic    

LeeW

9/6/19 11:26 AM

I'm watching it also (on Oly channel). I love the video footage of the countryside and historic structures that the production team is including.

Seems like JV is assembling a very formidable team to compete with Ineos at next season grand tours. With the signing of Dumoulin and the seeming emergence of Roglic (in addition to Krijswijk?) they will have a lot of "chiefs" to choose from. Appears like their domestiques (Bennet, Kuss, Gessink, Martin, etc, etc) are capable also.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

9/6/19 11:42 AM

JV=EF, yes?

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

henoch

9/6/19 3:08 PM

Ahhh... Jumbo Visma.

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

9/6/19 7:33 PM

Some stages are being replayed on NBCSN next week, early AM. Time to stock up the DVR for January trainer sessions.

Sparky

9/6/19 8:28 PM

I am casting the NBC Sports Highlights. 15 minutes VIDs +/- a few minutes per stage.

LeeW

9/7/19 5:58 AM

Sorry for the confusion.

I was referring to the Jumbo Visma team.
They now appear to have 3 genuine GC candidates on the roster, along with some capable climbers and rolleurs. Races are never won on paper, but it might seem they should be very competitive in the grand tours next year. I for one was tired of seeing the Sky domination and will welcome any real competition.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

9/7/19 8:00 AM

I agree wholeheartedly. The fact that Ineos has been almost invisible in the Vuelta has made it a much more interesting race.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

9/7/19 9:21 AM

Speaking of Ineos:

After a 3 week stent at Club Med, and not any in the Mediterranean

Froome: crashed on June 12, suffering a complex, compound fracture to his femur and reportedly lost around two litres of blood. He sustained other fractures to his hip, elbow and ribs in addition to internal injuries. He underwent hours of surgery and was out of the intensive care unit when he was diagnosed with additional sternum and vertebrae fractures.

The usual press "ahead of rehabilitation schedule", yada.

I still have my doubts he will 'get back'...

He is apparently doing one legged stationary training...

Nick Payne

9/7/19 8:17 PM

Froome seems like he's all thumbs lately:

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/chris-froome-undergoes-surgery-after-home-accident/

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

9/8/19 4:17 AM

Somebody is trying to tell him something...like maybe it's time to retire while you still can.

Reply to topic    

LeeW

9/10/19 8:12 AM

Hmmm. Never want to see anyone injure themself, but perhaps Froomey's dexterity with kitchen knifes is about as gawky as his pedaling style?

Reply to topic    

henoch

9/10/19 11:59 AM

LOL, got a good chuckle

Reply to topic    

Sparky

9/10/19 12:17 PM

"Frog in a sock" as they say down under...

Nick Payne

9/12/19 12:44 AM

Have a look at stage 17 if you can. In spite of being a fairly flat transition stage, it was really excellent to watch. Strong tail/crosswinds; echelons; the whole 220km was covered at over 50kph; and there were times when the average speed for half an hour was over 55kph and for 10 minutes over 70kph. The large break went almost from the gun and both they and the peloton were eyeballs-out all day. The winner commented that there were sections where he was in 54-11 and spinning out at 110rpm.

The top 10 on GC saw several changes.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

9/12/19 4:53 AM

It was another case of a presumed boring stage turning into a pivotal slug-fest. The complexion of the race has changed markedly and the outcome is anybody's guess at this point. The mountains will decide.

Last edited by Brian Nystrom on 9/12/19 6:38 PM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic    

henoch

9/12/19 1:24 PM

Yes and No

Yesterday was awesome, and the top 10 is still in flux, but I would disagree that its anyones guess, as much as it's possible to be a lock with 3 days left, Roglic is, he is looking very strong and in control.
I think the rest of the podium can still change a bit, though to be honest, there are only really 4 guys that have a realistic shot of standing on the 2 podium spots.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

9/12/19 3:32 PM

Quintessential windy 'don't miss the split' stage...

Getting back 5:29 on the Leader's jersey served now 2nd place GC rider well. ;)

Brian Nystrom

9/13/19 10:42 AM

Yesterday seemed to solidify the race somewhat, but today's stage was full of drama and some questionable/disrespectful tactics by Movistar. It all comes down to the mountains tomorrow...as it should.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -