HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

MIPS Helmets

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
lrzipris

8/10/19 11:00 AM

MIPS Helmets

I need a new helmet. With great respect for the expertise here, I ask: is there a real benefit to a MIPS helmet?

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/10/19 11:50 AM

"I ask: is there a real benefit to a MIPS helmet?"

I have a Smith Overtake MIPS. How does one quantify it effectiveness really?
But I get new helmets every few years just to have the best chance of it working for it's designed purpose.

So I got a MIPS, because the tech 'should' be better than all my previous in protection they say.

I can tell you what I like about the helmet, this particular one. Which has little to do with MIPs I guess, except that bugs/bees don't get in, flip side of that being over 85^ it does not breath quite as well as totally open helmet. I find my sweat running from the sides of the Halo sweatbands more above said temp. I wear contacts, so as long as it stays outta my eyes. I think I'd use my Giro above 85^ though. I am mostly bald, so the heat for folks with insulating effect of hair could be worse.

The retention adjustment on the Overtake is excellent as well. I don't notice it on my head, so weight and comfort VG.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

lrzipris

8/10/19 12:38 PM

I'm replacing an Uvex EDaero, which I liked because it lessened my risk of "male-pattern sunburn." It appears to no longer be produced, and I haven't found anything close. In any event, I'm now also factoring in concussion/brain injury risk.

I hear you, Sparky, about the possible benefit of MIPS ("'should' be better"). Makes sense, a reasonable bet.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/10/19 12:41 PM

I don't put sun screen on my bald head when wearing it, I do with the open more vent ones.

dan emery

8/10/19 1:07 PM

Advice from the kayak world

Roy, since I know you kayak, I’ll throw in this advice from the website of Maine Island Kayak Co.: “If you have a $10 head, get a $10 helmet.”

I probably ought to get a helmet too, but don’t know anything about the new ones.

Reply to topic    

lrzipris

8/10/19 2:19 PM

I don't mind spending the money, but I'm wondering how much of MIPS is marketing and how much is real benefit. Maybe we don't know for sure, but it's worth it for the possibility?

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

8/10/19 3:08 PM

Go to https://helmets.org/. They have a huge database of helmets and they discuss the various safety technologies in detail, so you can see what's fact and what's just hype.

Regarding MIPS, the testing protocol they use is completely unrealistic. They use a head form with a grippy rubber coating and the helmet is strapped tightly to it, so it cannot move. This biases the test in favor of MIPS, since the sticky, hard-strapped form cannot move in a helmet without MIPS. However, in the real world, your helmet rests on a head with a scalp (and hair perhaps) and it's not so tight that it cannot move somewhat in a crash. The upshot is that your scalp and hair are essentially built-in MIPS, plus you have helmet slippage.

There are also reports of people getting pretty serious scalps cuts from the edges of the MIPS liner. It's not a huge issue in the overall scheme of things, but it's something to consider.

Anyway, I suggest reading the various tests and other articles on the site. It's not biased in favor or against any manufacturer or technology. I found it very illuminating and refreshing.

FWIW, I needed to replace my MTB helmet and based on what I learned, I went with a Kali Interceptor because I like their design philosophy. Is it really any better? Hopefully I'll never find out! ;-)

I don't use a MIPS road helmet and I won't be buying one. I just can't condone what appears to be dishonest testing and marketing.

Reply to topic    

lrzipris

8/10/19 5:15 PM

Wow! My head hurts just trying to sort through all that information!

Reply to topic    

lrzipris

8/11/19 10:11 AM

A lot of PR spin, uncertainties and unknowns, and balancing of features. In any event, I just ordered the POC Ventral Air SPIN Bike Helmet from REI.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/11/19 12:30 PM

You kind of need the anti spin helmet to keep you head from spinning just reading about it.

Did you base your choice on anything in particular?? Seems light, but is the quoted weight for a Small?

We need these maybe....

https://www.crosshelmet.com/more/display
---------------

This is what I wound up with:

lrzipris

8/11/19 2:13 PM

I decided that any potential benefit of avoiding injury or more serious injury was worth it, so I looked at MIPS and SPIN helmets. I read in one article that lots of vents and open space, as in the Smith Overtake, translated into fewer points in which to disburse impact; I don't know if this is true or not, but it may have had some subliminal impact on my thinking.

The POC seemed the best balance of protection and ventilation. Weight was not much of a factor, although I did get a small. Getting a hefty chunk of money back as an REI member also played a minor role in my decision--it made the cost a bit more reasonable.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

8/12/19 5:49 AM

I'm not a big fan of POC's styling, but from a protection perspective, they seem like one of the best on the market. Who knows, maybe their looks will grow on me by the time I need a new road helmet... ;-)

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/12/19 3:14 PM

Saw a POC on a ride today. I thought it was a good looking helmet myself, liked the style, vents wide open for sure.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -