CYCLINGFORUM.COM - Where Cyclists Talk Tech --- Return To Home

Register FAQ'sSearchProfileLog In / Log Out

cyclingforum.com ****

HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Got the Team Issue Domane Classics sorted.

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

8/7/19 4:01 PM

Got the Team Issue Domane Classics sorted.

Some bar reach and stem length challenges, TT is 1.3 CM longer that I would choose on purpose.

Bike was advertised as a 60 Classics Edition, turned out it is a 62. The short H1 head tube stack confused him I guess. I still am using a 1CM spacer, so at least not too much stack like the 60CM Endurance geom. And 1CM less stack than the 58 Endurance I had briefly.

It is a beast, but fun to hammer on. Tried the tubeless wheelset today, 28mm Hutchinson Sectors.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dfcas

8/7/19 4:39 PM

You ride with a lot of drop for an old guy. My neck hurts.

Sparky

8/7/19 5:14 PM

I was thinking about putting a mirror off the head tube so I don't have to look up.

Current drop is something having my fat gut gone that has got me comfortable on the bike again. All that less setback and bar raising I thought was an age component, was a fat component it turns out.

dddd

8/7/19 5:35 PM

Just moving the saddle forward at least allows the arms to drop and reach further without the rider having to bend more sharply at the waist.
Then there's just the added bit of stress on the rider's neck and the need to perhaps pedal a little more forcefully to keep too much weight from resting on the rider's hands.
But the upper body (arms, shoulders) usually adapts readily to the added weight, and the neck muscles too. All adaptation takes time and must be maintained through regular use/effort.
But moving the saddle forward is one way that older riders can better maintain their speed as the years pass.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/7/19 5:47 PM

>But moving the saddle forward is one way that older riders can better maintain their speed as the years pass.

I'll stick with 10 years ago setback. I have too much leg and glut mass to not use slammed setback. Too much of 3 decades of construction work and arthritis in the upper limbs I am afraid. I can't use the deep drop bars I used to and still use the drops though.

So my 'now' none Clydesdale body/position is basically 8.5CM setback and drop, give or take a few mm. I am so glad I offed the zero offset post cfg and got back to yesteryear's setback spec. I honestly did not think I'd re-acclimate to this much drop.

I have also narrowed the bars as well, my construction shoulders are happy for it. 42s on road bike if long and low the way I like it.. 10+ years ago I used 46CM bars.

Aging does interesting things to bike position to be sure...

____
So Dan, has the new sneakers update [read: tires] on the Domane RSL moved it to the front of the Queue? Or is the CheckPoint still it? I am torn between this Classics Domane and the Look 585 I landed recently these days. The Spectrum Ti Super is queued back for a while....

I grabbed the Mongrel for a bike ride with my bionic wife, those Soma fatties sure make for a nice lounger effect @ 45 PSI.

dan emery

8/8/19 5:35 AM

Front of queue

As I have said before in response to similar questions, they are different bikes for different purposes. The RSL is a better road bike, the Checkpoint a better gravel bike. The bigger tires I put on the RSL give it a really silky ride, although the ride was good before, and the wider gearing I put on make it more comfortable for me for longer, hilly rides. For a road century I’d take the RSL, for a gravel grind the Checkpoint.

BTW, why don’t you just send the Domane back as the size was misrepresented?
Also, what does it mean to call a bike a “beast”? Too stiff?

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/8/19 8:55 AM

>BTW, why don’t you just send the Domane back as the size was misrepresented?

I am too cheap to give away the profit, I am part Ferengi. He sent me a few shorter stems and also some new BMC Carbon bars with 8mm shorter reach. But won't be cutting the steer tube so I don't narrow the buyer field either.

>Also, what does it mean to call a bike a “beast”? Too stiff?

It is like my 85 Nago/SLX in that harder riding is what the machine wants to do as far as response.

I'll say this, my assertions about how I thought the H1/Pro-endurance GEOM VS the Endurance are founded. Really like the front end VS the Series 6 Endurance one and the Roubaix I had. Both brief periods notably.

The Classics Edition has the longest WB and chain stays of all the line. Also like what stability that exhibits.

It also fits the biggest tires of the line, until this last disc model being released. If you zoom the picture and look at the brake pad carriers you can see they are almost all the way down in the slots. With 31mm inflated there is still 5-6mm still room. 32 for sure, I wonder if bigger may fit.

Sparky

8/8/19 9:42 AM

Side note: The Stem,a Pro Vibe I fitted is hinged top with bottom clamp bolts, just two. It hooks on a casting triangle on top.

If you look at the picture you can see how devoid of material and nice and round the top clamp area is.

I like riding hands/tops in tight to the stem, and this is the most comfprtable stem for that I have ever used. With no pressure points to the hands what so ever. Not something I thought about until I rode it yesterday. Or quested for previously...

LeeW

8/9/19 6:45 AM

Mixed bar tape?
I like the look.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/9/19 8:51 AM

Just put the lighter color where your are less traveled, so it gets dirty slower. ;)

I had done it on a few bikes, the first Domane as well.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -