HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Tubeless?

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
lrzipris

7/31/19 10:35 AM

Tubeless?

Introduction: I am possibly the most retrogrouch poster here, and probably the most resistant to change; I'm sure I'm the most technologically challenged.

The Issue: what is the deal with tubeless tires and sealant? I'm comfortable with tubes, and I ride almost exclusively on the road, only occasionally on towpaths. Are the benefits of tubeless tires significant enough for me, pretty much a casual cyclist these days, to change and learn something new?

Please forgive me for the rudimentary question. Tubeless 101, if you will.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/31/19 11:07 AM

We just touched on it, revamped if you will in this thread in case you did not see the posts:

http://cyclingforum.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12517&start=25

We can of course comment more specifically here if you have certain questions etc.

Ask more questions after reading the comments at the link to the other thread...

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Brian Nystrom

7/31/19 11:16 AM

IMO, there are advantages to running sealant in any kind of tire and I've used in tubulars, clinchers with tubes and tubeless. In essence, I use it in all of our tires. However, I only have tubeless tires on my off-road bikes and Linda has one set of wheels with tubeless road tires.

While there are apparently performance advantages on the road if you're running certain high-end tires, that's not true of all tubeless road tires. There is potential for increased comfort, since you can reduce the pressures slightly. The downsides are more difficult tire mounting (though not in all cases),potential issues getting them to seal properly at typical road pressures, and messy roadside repairs if you get a flat that the sealant can't handle.

To me, the bottom line is that unless you need new road wheels, there's little point in buying new wheels just to get tubeless. Also, keep in mind that the latest rims are typically wider than older rims, and could be too wide for your brakes.

There's some additional discussion about tubeless starting near the bottom of this page: http://cyclingforum.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12517&start=0&sid=a82e899efd9a684bfc8c1d0924c20ff6

Reply to topic    

lrzipris

7/31/19 11:37 AM

Thanks. I don't drop by every day, and I did not see that discussion. Sparky's comments at the bottom of page 1 of that thread are helpful, and sorta express what my concerns and reservations are. Brian, you also mention some of the same issues in your reply to my post.

So, to my old-school list, which includes a flip phone and 18 y/o Forester, I'll add clinchers with tubes.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

7/31/19 11:46 AM

FWIW

Roy, like Brian, I'd say if it ain't broke don't fix it. I have tubeless on a new gravel bike. I just changed tires on my road bike, even though I have tubeless ready rims I used tubes just because I liked the tires and it was simpler. I did go to larger tires which makes a significant difference in ride smoothness. If I got new road wheels and tires I guess I'd probably go tubeless. To me the main advantage is no/fewer flats, but if you don't have many flats that's not too big..

Reply to topic    

Steve B.

7/31/19 3:01 PM

I have tubeless on a new 29" wheeled mt. bike. They make sense off road as you can run lower pressures and see a benefit in comfort, handling and traction.

Note that all tubeless tires typically work best with a rim designed for that design, require sealant to deal with "minor" punctures, need the rims to be taped to seal and require special valves.

BUT, you still end up bringing a tube/CO2/pump to deal with any puncture the sealant cannot handle. If you get a flat the sealant cannot handle, you end up needing to get proficient (at home) at re-sealing the tire after you've removed the tube and desire to continue as tubeless.

In my experience I get maybe 1 road flat per year, maybe 2 and have no issues changing a tube, thus don't see any enough benefit to going tubeless for the road.

Definitely and as others have stated, don't fix what ain't broke.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/31/19 3:15 PM

My Gravel Lynskey I built up outta a Pro CX frame has two wheelsets. Everything is TL ready. 47x650b setup tubeless, as those will more likely get used off road. And 700x38 I put in some Challenge Latex tubes. Those are no tread to speak of, the 650b are Teravail with heavy textures file tread yada...

If you use tubes, tire swaps for different use is a breeze. Not so much once you setup up a wheelset tubeless. Thus for me lower pressure/off road, tubeless. Smooth 38x700 Soma tires tubes. I can pop different tires on the 700 set in 10-15 minutes to rolling. Something to consider I suppose.

Research/google for persnickety tire rim combos before spending. Some combos will be a nightmare if you flat out on the road/trail.

my 7 Cents...

Nick Payne

7/31/19 4:32 PM

quote:
BUT, you still end up bringing a tube/CO2/pump to deal with any puncture the sealant cannot handle. If you get a flat the sealant cannot handle, you end up needing to get proficient (at home) at re-sealing the tire after you've removed the tube and desire to continue as tubeless.

Use tyre worms. I think I've had one puncture that sealant wouldn't fix on its own since I started using tubeless, and I just stuffed in a worm, pumped the tyre, and was on my way in about two minutes. No wheel or tyre removal needed, and the worm is a permanent fix - I rode that tyre fixed with a worm for months and months with no further problems, until it was finally worn to the point of needing replacing.

Edit: this is a useful article to read: https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/blogs/news/living-with-tubeless-tyres

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/31/19 6:44 PM

I gotta order a worm kit...

Nick Payne

7/31/19 9:50 PM

Dynaplugs do a similar job, though they're rather more expensive. Their bicycle repair kit is about the size of a short lipstick:

http://www.dynaplug.com/bike.html

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

8/1/19 5:11 AM

quote:
If you use tubes, tire swaps for different use is a breeze.

We did exactly this for our recent vacation in CA. I set our gravel bikes up with knobbies and tubes (with sealant) for our initial gravel rides, then switched them over to road tires for our final road rides. Using tubes makes this easy, clean and painless, which especially makes sense when away from home.

Reply to topic    

lrzipris

8/1/19 12:53 PM

Thank you, all. It ain't broke, so I ain't gonna fix it. For the riding I'm doing these days, tubes work just fine.

I laughed, imagining a group ride: someone gets a tubeless flat, and another rider sez, "I got worms."

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/1/19 1:01 PM

""I got worms."

Now that's funny...

"got any albendazole and mebendazole pills?"

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -