CYCLINGFORUM.COM - Where Cyclists Talk Tech --- Return To Home

Register FAQ'sSearchProfileLog In / Log Out

cyclingforum.com ****

HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Race couch seen in Maine, news... well... now.
 Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

7/20/19 9:56 AM

Race couch seen in Maine, news... well... now.

"got some 32 tires I’m going to try to get on mine. Rene Herse (formerly Compass) ultralights"

When I saw the caliper pad carriers position on the Team Domane race eBay bike, I had high hopes for big tires to fit it. The Normal one I had the rear in particular was pretty high up in the slot. Front was mid slot. 28 max rear, 30 front...

Make me wonder what the disk ones might fit.

You can see a 25mm Pave has huge air over it to the caliper.

Side note: The sniped eBay Team Classics Domane [RSL geom] landed yesterday. I fit tires on the wide rims that are 30.8mm inflated. These have huge tire clearance. It has 5-6mm clearance still, so 32s are no stretch for Race Couch converting...

With these @ 8 PSI the Trek Leopard Team bike [assume possibly stiffer than store bought bikes] it ride nicer than the Redline Conquest with 42mm tubeless tires on it.

Race couch long test ride today.

These are also pretty light. With my 25mm Paves on American Classic Stans stupid light wheels [SR 6 ti cog cassette], the Team Classics bike with Di2 Ultegra is 16.1 lb with pedals, expected a little more pork for Clyde size bike.

Last edited by Sparky on 7/20/19 11:45 AM; edited 3 times in total

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dan emery

7/20/19 10:13 AM

Plus

Note the 11-32 cassette on the red bike, along with the 32 tires. It feels good but no long ride yet. I had errands this morning so took the Checkpoint and now it’s too freakin’ hot and humid.

I gotta think this is a somewhat unusual bike at this point.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/20/19 10:28 AM

Less unusual than you think. typical MO for the Domane owner perhaps. ;)

Here is the one I just landed.

And Bonus, someone got Jens to sharpie his Hancock on it.

I am like an accidental Jens Fanboy at this point... ;)

Tire clearance shot.

PS: those are Dura Ace calipers, FWIW I have found that in teh 11 speed shimano variants, The 5800/105 rim calipers have a few more mm clearance that the D/A and Ultegra calipers. Could be a way to gain that 'just enough' on your Ultegra/D/A bike.
I am speaking to single bolt mounts. And not used 8000/7000 yet or are likely to.

I calculated that if I put my SR Groupo on this it should loose more than a lb. 15 lb Clyde bike, like getting my Addict back. ;)

dan emery

7/21/19 8:39 AM

Nice tires

Took a ride early this morning - a short early ride is all I want in this ridiculous heat/humidity.

The Rene Herse Stampede Pass Ultralights (nominal 32 but I suspect a little smaller) are wonderful - a magic carpet ride. They whisper like the old setas.

They were a bear to get on the rims, and then I could not get them round to save my life - part of the bead dived down below the rim and I could not get it back in place. I may not be the first with this issue as Jan Heine included a brochure with color photographs as to how to mount and seat them. I finally gave up, put them on the bike and rolled up and down the road a few times and somehow they settled and now are perfect. Interestingly I see Park has a $50 tool for this situation but I don’t have one...:). If I get a flat I hope they will have cured themselves.

Anyway, the bike with these tires and gears on top of the front and rear suspension gizmos is wonderful for a geezer like me.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/21/19 9:31 AM

If not tubeless ready, they should stretch and hopefully be more cooperative by your first flat.

If tubed, did you use latex?

Sparky

7/25/19 8:38 PM

Just saw this on the page of Brian's 'New Steel' coolness post.

https://bikerumor.com/2019/07/25/new-trek-domane-smooths-pavement-with-updated-isospeed-huge-tire-clearance/

So not dropping the Domane just yet after all:

Excerpt:Trek just unleashed a new Domane, set as their most versatile and comfortable top-end road bike. With improved aerodynamics, an updated IsoSpeed system, and huge 38mm tire clearance, Trek claims it’s the fastest Domane ever...

Oh, and endurance geom or H1.5 i think i saw, =RSL pro endurance?

Seems the seat mast cap is revised as well.

Color of the link bike is way cool too:

Brian Nystrom

7/26/19 6:51 AM

The other changes appear to be pretty interesting. The top cap now fits inside the seat tube and there's a hidden multi-tool in the downtube. The one thing that troubles me a bit is that the bikes are rather heavy, with the top-end model at over 17 lbs.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/26/19 8:56 AM

The 500 VS 700, 30grams difference?

My 600 OCLV Team bike is 16.1 with pedals and Ultegra Di2. But that is with very light wheels inc SR 12-29 cassette. Big bike though. But also with 329gr alloy bars with goo injected to dampen. And non disc of course.

dddd

7/26/19 1:42 PM

Almost has to be heavy with so much going on, disc brakes, iso-speed pivots, probably some added durability for it's near-gravel pretensions?

The competing Specialized Roubaix models seem to have the same issue, so it seems to be a matter of whether the buyer feels like it's a worthwhile trade-off at any particular price point.

My 56cm Koppenberg with rear-only Iso-Speed and a beefed-up-for-the-pros frame weight comes in at only 15.5lbs with pedals, a 320g saddle and of course rim brakes (it's a Red22 build, and with R-Sys wheels).

And I'm still under $2k on the complete build.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/26/19 5:10 PM

Dave, you get the stack/bar drop all settled?

dddd

7/27/19 7:50 AM

It is what it is, not totally a 59-y-o's fit, lol.

I did increase the stem length to 110 and move the saddle forward so as to move my hands forward and lower. Getting my back muscles a good recovery after miles of sharing pulls at the front seems to require my riding hands-free for 30 seconds if the ride doesn't re-group periodically, at least at this stage of my seasonal fitness (hasn't been a great year for mileage).

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/27/19 8:48 AM

Only 30 seconds? looks like 9-10CM of saddle to bar drop there...

dddd

7/27/19 4:56 PM

It's about 4-1/2", and like I said it's abetted by the body position "rolled forward" about the bb axis. Takes the neck and arm muscles closer to their limits of course, most noticed on any lengthy twisting descents, where hand numbness can become an issue.
The added weight on the hands is countered by vigorous pedaling torque, so is why descents can be a problem when braking becomes necessary.

There is a much straighter but crosswind-afflicted "rolling descent" here (Forresthill Rd) that's ~26 miles long, and where the added aero effect of the tilted body and dropped bars shines while I'm just trying to get it over with in the shortest possible time (since it's always the full-power return trip). It's followed by a nearly-continuous out-of-saddle ascent for 3/4 mi. and then we're home, time for a very big cold something to drink

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/27/19 5:43 PM

I hit some hills with the Team Limo today. Shines on those bumpy broken pave curves on the bottoms. The 30.8mm tires @ 82/87 PSI helps...

It was rainy, and I was the only other rider to show up. Leader had a power assisted real limo 700c bent. 700c front even. He was killing me on the hills, I should have actually ate first.

But turns out he is also a jersey boy, And the ride end at New York Reuben's Pizza. And Reuben has moved squarely to the front of our PNW/NY pizza queue!! And we had two good ones already. Not that we eat pizza often...

Brian Nystrom

7/28/19 4:37 AM

That's a lot of pressure for fat tires. I'll bet you could reduce it by 20 psi.

Reply to topic    

dddd

7/28/19 11:41 AM

I was helping a gal with her training the other day, she's about 115# and was running 85/90 in her plump 26's on what looked like wide rims.
Also came out for interval work over a 2-hr route using a near-ketogenic diet plan(?????).
Needless suffering methinks.

I cut out one of Chris Carmichael's dietary wisdom pages from RBA, and I guess I will make a copy of a modern tire-inflation chart for her.
Folks still reading the inflation pressure off of their tire sidewalls.

I think Bob's maybe big enough to need the higher pressures though.

I am envious of the rainy weather, we're suffering through some 100+ degree days here and it takes a fierce toll on my work-energy level. Got the dog walked/run early and I'm done, ready to kick it and watch some TDF.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/28/19 3:43 PM

Yes, I get some front squirm much lower. My weekly low with dehydration assist the other day was 197lb. Better than 11/2018 236lb 7 oz, but still a Clyde I am afraid. Just not a hippo anymore...

And I also figure with the ISO decoupler in the seatpost, why not get a little less CRR??

But what's your thinking Brian?

dan emery

7/28/19 4:18 PM

Agree with Brian

I just put 32s on my RSL (probably actually more like 31 or 30), I use 65/70 and they ride great. I think I can go a bit lower. The max on the sidewall is 90. I weigh 195. Can’t explain your front squirm, not sure exactly what it is.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/28/19 4:44 PM

When I say squirm that is when I toss my weight forward for an out of saddle bigger watt push, or from drops out of the saddle hammer. There is good amount of front weight for me. Smaller bike I notice it more. So 80 seems to be the safe spot on the low side of pressures for me to not notice any. 75 PSI solidly noticeable. The 28 GP4K on these wider [19c] rims is 30.8mm. Same tire when on the disc Pacenti 21c internal was near 32mm, but a little less height. I do these semi frequently crossing

Now the 38s on the Mongrel perhaps my 45/55 PSI is more in line with what cushy PSI promotes.

It is quite possible I should try a little less. I have not been under 100kilo on the bike for quite some time. Or even under 228-32.

I got maybe a few lb on Dans weight, so his comment is empirical enough for me to experiment some... I'll try 70/80 next ride out. I can say I have made changes and did quick spins in my sub-div without topping PSI, and I use Latex. So next day is in this area of PSI of which you speak with latex seepage, and the added cushy is obvious.

I'd add that CRR stats I see on legit tests show CRR loses under certain PSI, and that sticks in my mind...

EDIT; just looked at these specific CRR looses 1.4 watts 80 to 60 PSI, surely not significant. Even if each, but I think that may be for pair. And I can speak for anyone but myself, but I am slow enough fat tire non aero makes no difference to boot.

dan emery

7/29/19 7:21 AM

2 things

There is a big difference between 28 and 31 and I don't know how you set pressure when a nominal 28 measures 31 on a particular rim. Second, I only get out of the saddle to stretch my back so I can't comment on your efforts.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

7/29/19 8:02 AM

FWIW, I run 70/80 F./R in 25s at 170#.

Remember, that 1.4 watt loss is on a perfectly smooth surface and it will be less or even non-existent on a rougher surface. How smooth are your roads?

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/29/19 9:04 AM

Pave here tends to be very coarse here. Even in your car, loud. Newer pavement projects on lots of roads is new smooth stuff. But I nearly never roll where that is as it is busy areas/roads getting the road attention/$$.

Dan, what does that current Seat Post ISO adjustment equate to in terms of soft/firm?

And yeah, I get up/out semi frequently and push. ;)

dan emery

7/29/19 9:17 AM

ISO

It is set toward the soft side, where I set it before I put the new tires on. Can’t think of any reason to change it.

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

7/29/19 9:47 AM

Tubeless looks like it's here to stay (understatement.) It sounds worth buying new. Is it worth converting to? I hate flats and have been riding thorn-proof tubes forever. Any suggestions, limitations? I've got a candidate pair of Rolf Vector Comps I like for old school rides (they turned 20 this year.)

From Stan's site:
https://www.notubes.com/shop/tubeless/rim-strips-kits
https://www.notubes.com/cyclocross-tubeless-system

Sparky

7/29/19 10:08 AM

Road tubeless. My 2 cents. Started on 23s and liked it, but road pressures are quite high VS atmosphere, and until it seals a lot of pressure is lost.

So it may not flat, but I have had to stop and air up after it seal. Especially if you don't stop instantly and put the puncture down so the pool of sealant seal fastest.

But now we have a lot bigger tires and running these low pressure the tire PSI differential gap is much closed.

When the GP5000 TL get more reasonable I may get some. I do have 28mm Sector Hutchinson on WH-6800 tubeless wheels. But I tend to use 1-2 sets of wheels I have that are a lot lighter. These are tubes/latex that I use mostly.

I think weight wise it is a wash, heavier tire/sidewalls and sealant VS a tube. But you get the feel. I may be running too much air in my road tubeless. As said from this threads impact, I am not used to being 39 less, so had not occurred to me to change habits PSI wise. [until now] I find that particular tire not particularly fast feeling.

But stands to reason these should be more durable, tread wear, maybe same?

It will boil down to $$ really. Wanna pay $85.00/tire, or the Sectors I got for 76.00/Pair shipped. But I find I ride latex/tubed mostly myself for road. Flats can get fixed pretty fast. And I honestly dread the thought of a tire tear and associated road side cleanout/boot/tube install, not to mention goo all over possibly. AND, the tire rims are not exaclty easy on and off bead wise, some combo plain suck to mount/unmount. Thought of road side repairs, group ride? ;)

So I have adopted tubeless for low pressures mostly. [35-42x700+ and 47x650b gravel, mtb]

And, the sealant needs replenishing.. Clean out the whole thing, put in more and more weight, wait until you wear the tire out and start anew? ?

Wheel/rim wise, I will let others comment. But harder to buy a non tubeless rim/wheel these days...

BUT, 19c internal as compared to your 15C internal Vectors... You will probably really like how 25-28 tires sit out inflated and feel. Especially in a bumpy curve at the bottom of a descent!!

Last edited by Sparky on 7/29/19 10:20 AM; edited 1 time in total

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -