HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Brake pads, non OEM

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

7/21/19 2:43 PM

Brake pads, non OEM

The Team Issue Domane has blue brake pads. I assumed they were Reynolds Carbon pads and carbon wheels sold separately or something, but rode the bike a bit anyway.

Went to change out with KoolStop salmons, and see they are SwissStop Flash Pro Blue, for alloy rims.

Anyone use these. They are grabby, in a good way. Maybe grabby not a good word, grippy perhaps.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Nick Payne

7/21/19 2:51 PM

The SRAM Force brakes on one of my bikes came supplied with SwissStop black pads, which I thought were pretty good. They seem to perform much the same as the Koolstop salmon pads I have on other bikes. I'm using them on alloy rims.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/21/19 3:04 PM

Side note: I started using Organic Swiss stop disc pads on fronts. Worth the price of admission IMO.

Brian Nystrom

7/22/19 5:35 AM

I've been using Kool Stop salmon pads on all of our rim-brake bikes and can't think of any reason to change. They work great in all conditions and they're reasonably priced. What's not to like?

Just a side note, I've actually been using the same formula of brake pad material since the late-70's/early 80's. Back then they were made by Matthauser and I still have some of their original finned pads.

Last edited by Brian Nystrom on 7/22/19 11:46 AM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/22/19 10:45 AM

"Kool Stop salmon pads on all of our rim-brake bikes and can't think of any reason to change."

I got 'Salmon' inventory, so me too. But these blue Swiss Stops are staying in place. Now that I know they are not the Reynolds Carbon pads I though upon first glance.

Brian Nystrom

7/22/19 11:49 AM

If they work, there's no point in changing them. The main reason we use the salmon pads is that we've had other (black) pads that were great in the dry and completely worthless in the wet. Some were OEM pads from quality brake manufacturers, which makes me wonder what they were thinking.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/22/19 11:58 AM

Earlier Shimano to me were the worst. They got a lot better at a point, where I'd wear them down before swapping, or if wet season started which ever happened first.

I dunno if non clyde/riders need to be as fussy, or are as fussy. Stopping your bike with an elephant atop requires VG brakes, if you wanna stop reliably and consistantly.

JohnC

7/24/19 12:12 PM

quote:
I've been using Kool Stop salmon pads on all of our rim-brake bikes and can't think of any reason to change. They work great in all conditions and they're reasonably priced. What's not to like?

Just a side note, I've actually been using the same formula of brake pad material since the late-70's/early 80's. Back then they were made by Matthauser and I still have some of their original finned pads.

Same here, since early 70s. In fact, it was a search for Scott Matthauser pads that led me to this forum, and lots of other good stuff. I couldn't find the pads at any LBS, and I searched online for a discussion board where I might get some advice. I found the Tech Talk forum, and someone here directed me to the Harris Cyclery website, where I found the Kool Stop pads, but more important discovered the world of Sheldon Brown, which led to many things, including building up the fixed-gear bikes that I still commute on daily.

So I'm pretty much a committed Kool Stop user.

Those fins were silly, though ;-)

Brian Nystrom

7/24/19 3:27 PM

Silly? Come on, they put fins on disc brake pads, don't they? ;-)

I have a set of them that are brand new.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/27/19 6:13 PM

Update, got some wet use today. Wet performance of these Swiss Blue pads is VG/Excellent FWIW.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -