Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

All Road Build Suggestions
 Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
sjm845

7/23/19 2:53 PM

All Road Build Suggestions

Ok...looking to build an all Road bike to tool around with my 9 yr old, commute to work (16 mile round trip) and winter train. Want big tires...tubeless. 57/58 top tube with high stack 60+ cm. Budget is less than $1500. 2 options.

1) 2019 Fuji Jaris 1.3-- shipped $1400 from chain rxn. Sram apex 1x with alu frame.

2) Lightcarbon Alibaba gravel frame Re: LCG010-D for $600, 2018 campy centaur 52/36 that I have, hunt gravel wheels, tps spyre breaks...built up by me at about 1200.

It's a bit apples to oranges I know. But only $200 separates the 2. What do you guys think?

Reply to topic    

dan emery

7/23/19 3:16 PM

FWIW

I don’t know anything about the bikes, but for that use I would prefer the 1x, which I love on a bike I got this year. But others here feel the opposite, so it’s individual choice (like just about everything else).

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/23/19 3:56 PM

Seems both those will get the job done. Personally I lean toward the campy build option. But I like cobbling/building etc.

Decision making points might be: tire clearance, w/fenders? Pay a little attention to the HTA and Trail options offer so as not to be offended once you throw a leg over. If you are going to front load with store runs and groc. Lower trail probably steer less funky with said front load if this matter for you.

One thing good, if you got room for and run +40mm tubeless, frame material impact on road feel probably moot.

Last edited by Sparky on 7/23/19 9:36 PM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

henoch

7/23/19 8:40 PM

Fuji

The Jari's seem to have a very solid reputation, thats the way I would go, especially if they come with Hydro brakes.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/23/19 9:30 PM

I have 2 bikes with hydo, and some cable disc too.

The trick with the cable ones is I always put organic Swiss Stop pads front, rear not really needed. Improves a lot.

I understand the Spyres with Campy pull levers is not optimal.

So yeah, perhaps brake direction may or should be a steering factor in choice.

The best cable set I have done on road/cx/gravel/Allroad bike is BB7 MTN calipers with 11 speed Shimano pull levers, Swiss stop front pads. But I routed the cable at the caliper as to shorten the lever. This I did not expect to be so good. But it is better than Spyres IMO.

OTOH, the TRP Hylex hydros I have not changed to the Swiss stops, they work VG straight up stock. And my old 29er with Avid Juicy hydros are and always have been superb.

Have you looked @ bikesdirect.com offerings?

The Reynolds WhipShot853 BuildKits are interesting option to use your campy on..

Sparky

7/23/19 10:00 PM

Mention worthy: Traitor made a Crusade disc SS CX/Gravel 44mm headtube. These come with TRP Hylex Hydros and the stop kit to cable them for gearing. Not made anymore but around used.

I have bought two to take the Hylex systems off and flipped the frames with wheel. I paid 240.00 for one and 450 for another that had a bunch of accessories/lock/helmet/clipless pedals/tires yada. Seamless chromo frame and fork.

An iteration is available with a different name, \Transition Rapture. On sale 1/2 price too if you ride a tiny bike. ;) But have cabled and not Hylex brakes. The Traitor had the hydros..

https://www.transitionbikes.com/Store_Detail.cfm?C=Closeout%20Bikes&SC=ALL&P=11907

sjm845

7/24/19 3:51 AM

Yeah...I looked at the BD whipshot--nothing in my size (58). I'm leaning Jari and will get a road frame down the line to build up the campy that's on my trainer now or swap it if I don't like the apex. Trek Domane AL is cheap now in my size $650. I just want big wheels for trails and commuting.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

7/24/19 6:29 AM

looked at Jari

That looks to be set up a lot like the modified Checkpoint I got this year. I love the bike, and I think with the Jari you get most or nearly all the function at a more economical price.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

7/24/19 8:26 AM

As much as I like carbon frames, I couldn't bring myself to buy a generic Chinese frame that would be a major pain to deal with if I ever had a problem with it.

I would definitely look at a modern aluminum bike, as they're as cheap as steel, but lighter.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/24/19 9:38 AM

The hydroforming of alloy frames, at least n the case of the Conquest Redline I built...
They really seem to be able to dial the stifness of the frame. So they don't feel like a dead overly stiff truss. The ALR would be on my lower cost list. AL is fine with such fat tires even more so, to be redundant.

henoch

7/24/19 2:56 PM

I looked up the specs on the Fuji, overall it looks like a solid deal for $1400.
the one thing that I would look to upgrade down the road would be the brakes, as it does indeed come with mechanical not hydro.

BTW Are there any good gravel roads up your way? I come up there quite frequently to ride my road bike, but wouldn't mind checking out some gravel in the fall/winter.

Reply to topic    

sjm845

7/24/19 3:27 PM

I think in Ringwood and Sterling Forrest area there are. Some horse trails in Harriman too. Nyack is nice--big trail/gravel system I'm told. I really want the bike mainly to keep up with my son on short rides and then commute/winter train. I can't hang with him on my 29er BMX now that he has gears riding into Harriman.

Reply to topic    

sjm845

7/24/19 3:30 PM

I found this doing more research. Full carbon + 1 group higher in Rival with hydro breaks. Brakes flipped and delivered for about $1700. More than I want to spend. https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBHOLMYSRIV12/holdsworth-mystique-rival1

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

7/24/19 4:28 PM

PlanetX does have a lot of interesting bikes. However, I wonder how much it will cost to ship it to the US from the UK. I'm sure they'd be easier to deal with than a Chinese seller, but not as convenient as someone in the US.

EDIT: After currency conversion and $225 in shipping, it's over $1800 delivered.

How about something like this:
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/disc-brake-roadbikes/centurypro-discbrake-roadbike-xx.htm

Carbon frame/fork, 8000-series Ultegra shifters & derailleurs, WTB wheels, Ritchey cockpit, comes with 28c tires but will handle 40s, for $1399 delivered.

I just noticed that it's a pre-order for delivery in December and I don't know what your timetable is. Perhaps there are other options that are immediately available.

Reply to topic    

sjm845

7/24/19 4:42 PM

Yeah...I want it sooner rather than later but thanks. There are a couple BD bikes I would get but out of my size 58.

Reply to topic    

henoch

7/24/19 5:15 PM

I think even so I would still go with the Jari, you can always upgrade the brakes later, and once you ride it maybe you wont even want better braking especially if you are just commuting and tooling around town.
The Jari is known bike with a good track record and like you say, you can get it right away, just buy it and enjoy.
From looking around a bit ,$1400 seems like a good price for that kind of bike.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

7/25/19 6:33 AM

I would look at some of the other consumer-direct brands, as you can get a much better component spec than that on the Jari. If you're going to have to upgrade anyway, you may as well spend the extra money for the the bike from PlanetX.

Reply to topic    

sjm845

7/25/19 8:49 AM

Consumer Direct Brand suggestions?

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/25/19 9:20 AM

"Consumer Direct Brand suggestions?"

The Transition link above.

Q: Isn't Fuji a liquidation post bankruptcy non warranty inventory liquidation situation, if this matters??

Steve B.

7/25/19 10:02 AM

"As much as I like carbon frames, I couldn't bring myself to buy a generic Chinese frame that would be a major pain to deal with if I ever had a problem with it. "

General idea is if you paid $350, went 4,000 miles on it and developed a problem, you throw it out and buy another one.

Reply to topic    

Steve B.

7/25/19 10:16 AM

Soma Smoothie ES, welded Tange steel, 57.9 ETT has a 59.2 stack height. Designed for 32mm tires and 57mm
long reach brakes. Has fender mounts and can take a 28mm tire with fenders. Tubeless tires,as BTW are mostly wheel, not frame dependent.

Western Bike Works has a 58 in blue on sale for $466. You can get a matching steel fork from Soma (or maybe Western), usually about $150.

https://www.westernbikeworks.com/product/soma-fabrications-es-road-frame

Not sure that's a large enough tire or do you want 40mm ?. You could get the Wolverine frame for the same price, it's their monster cross frame, takes a 45mm tire.

https://www.westernbikeworks.com/product/soma-fabrications-wolverine-v3-frame?fltr=&sg=506

I have Soma Smoothie, it's my "fast" commuter, is a great bike.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

7/25/19 11:41 AM

There are several consumer-direct brands now. Other than those we've discussed, here's a list I found:

https://roadbikeresearch.com/pages/direct-to-consumer-road-bike-brands

If you do a bit of digging, you'll probably find more.

Jensonusa.com does custom builds of some of the brands they sell and they often have great clearance or demo pricing.

Speaking of which, it's the time of year that many online retailers and some LBS's are having end of the season clearance sales.

There are other British sellers, such as Ribble.com and Wiggle.com, with their own brands.

Reply to topic    

sjm845

7/26/19 7:01 PM

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm going with a BD bike for $1000. Full Apex 1 hydro (rival rear mech) and tubeless ready. Comes with 37mm tires and can fit 45's. Yeah--no thru axles or full carbon fork but I'll live as it will mostly be on the road or easy trails. It's either a new listing or I missed it the first 10 times I searched. Getting the 58. I've got nice pair of ritchey wcs bars and a thomson stem to throw on it. Hopefully I can now keep up with my son on his Woom 5--he's a savage! Or I can just break out the Strong and dust him!!!

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/disc-brake-roadbikes/mulekickcxcomp-discbrake-roadbike-xx.htm

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/26/19 7:18 PM

I have no problem with QR disc, my 29er has never shifter a wheel/axle ever. My 2015 disc Strong All Road is QR, Carl does face the front drop duts forward though.

I will say scrutinize the QRs that comes with that. I only use XT or XTR QRs with disc QR bike/droupouts. XTR hubs/QR on my Strong All road, 180mm front rotor.

Last edited by Sparky on 7/27/19 3:05 PM; edited 1 time in total

dddd

7/27/19 12:29 PM

Seems like a big deal that the WTB rims on the BD bike are claimed to be TCS- and UST-compatible.

I'm waiting for Continental to be able to proclaim that their GP5000 Tubeless tires are similarly compatible with both standards.

Also wondering what formalities and hoops jumped through for someone to say that their products are UST-compatible.
I've seen where some have posted that UST was in some context becoming "irrelevant", but it is a rigid standard that prevents bad fits and associated hazards.
And kudos to Mavic for advancing their rim-braked rims along with their disc-braked product developments.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -