Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Wout Van Aert - TdF Spoiler

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Brian Nystrom

7/19/19 2:11 PM

Wout Van Aert - TdF Spoiler

This picture appears to show what caught him as he went around the corner:

You can clearly see the interlocking prongs that should have been facing the other direction so they couldn't snag anyone. In this picture, the barriers have been moved up onto the sidewalk, but at the time Van Aert went by, they were in the roadway.

Just the thought of having my leg impaled on one of those makes me sick. What moron set the barriers up that way?

Hopefully the damage is just to his skin.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/19/19 10:03 PM

Read this:
re: Surgery: "He stitched the capsule and skin and cleaned everything well. He has to stay in hospital for a few days.”

Not superficial by any means. Key word there is "Capsule" That fucking steel facing backwards may well have impaled him it sure sounds like. Season is over for him.

This has the potential to be a crippling injury according to the surgical tech sitting next to me..

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

greglepore

7/21/19 3:41 PM

That's almost criminal that they allowed barriers set like that.

Yes, a capsule injury is complicated and if he ends up with compartment syndrome, it could be career ending.

Brian Nystrom

7/22/19 5:51 AM

quote:
That's almost criminal that they allowed barriers set like that.

I agree wholeheartedly. Someone's head should roll for this as it's a clear case of negligence causing someone a severe injury.

Here's an interview with him from the hospital:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji0aWPDlm_g

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/22/19 10:55 AM

They told him not to look at his leg, that works... ;)

Brian Nystrom

7/22/19 11:52 AM

If you saw the footage, it appeared to be quite a gaping wound. That makes sense considering that it was in skin that had been tightly stretched over pumped-up muscles.

He seemed to be in pretty good spirits under the circumstances, which hopefully means that he'll heal rapidly and completely...and without an addiction to narcotics.

Last edited by Brian Nystrom on 7/22/19 11:54 AM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/22/19 11:54 AM

For sure, just funny. What's the first thing one does when someone says 'don't look"?

;)

henoch

7/22/19 12:21 PM

I sure hope he recovers to full strength.
Him and VDP are so exciting for the future of cycling

Reply to topic    

henoch

7/22/19 12:24 PM

Also why dont they just use plastic barriers? so even if someone does hit them, at least they dont get speared?.

Reply to topic    

greglepore

7/23/19 6:35 PM

I have to say, now that I've reflected on this, do we know that the barriers were actually set that way, or were they "unhitched" when they were moved up on the curb?

Sparky

7/23/19 8:13 PM

What I thought I saw was 'before' he came around the turn, they had moved the barriers back, and that made them have to over lap them. The hook was pointing wrong direction, that section was behind but the hook made it thru the uprights and got him. At least that is what I think.

Geraint Thomas fell off, and got a new bike fast not effecting his place, but high sided and slide a bit on a right hander.

>>"Geraint Thomas " says that jammed gears caused him to crash in the 2019 Tour de France’s 16th stage around Nîmes.

Team Ineos rider Thomas, as with his previous two crashes in this race, appears fine and unaffected by the tumble. He fell on his left side heading into a right-hand bend.

“I just had one hand on the bars and then the gears jumped and jammed,” Thomas said coming to a stop after a sauna-like 177km stage 16.

“And I just got thrown off my bike basically on a corner.

“It wasn’t ideal.”

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -