HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

The other total hip...

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

7/19/19 11:45 AM

The other total hip...

Elaine had the left side surgery 7/12. As might be recalled, the right hip surgery was almost 2 years back.

One week later, using cane, and doing great on the stationary spinning for an hour at normal/higher cadences. Walking still causes residual discomfort. 1/2 mile most so far.
She is recovering better/faster this one. Post surgically speaking, better from get go. She [we are both a lot] is lighter, pretty fit given the limitation of the pain exercise induced pre-surgery, even her color after was 300x better this time, fitness=good.

I am super excited for her, now that she is bionic and all. Her fitness goal going forward should accelerate reasonably. We should both be better than ever by 2020.

I passed 35 lb weight loss, and cycling performance for me is greatly improved. I feel like I went back 10 years in time on the bike. Recovery times.. better, but still that of my age group I guess. ;)

Last edited by Sparky on 7/19/19 1:06 PM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dan emery

7/19/19 12:46 PM

Glad to hear it

Glad she's doing well. A friend just had his second THR. I've only needed one but I compensated by busting the femur on the repaired leg. That leg is pretty much normal now for most practical purposes. THR is really a great procedure.

Your comment on color rings a bell. I had the replacement on Tuesday, and went into the office for a couple hours Friday. My Assistants insist I was green but I don't believe them.

Give Elaine my best.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

7/19/19 1:43 PM

That's great news and I wish her a speedy return to a pain-free existence. It sounds like she's well on her way!

When I broke my hip, I remember the doc telling me how quickly people with a THR are back on their feet... after he had screwed me back together. I doubt that I would have opted for it if I had been asked and he didn't recommend it because I was only 41 at the time and the implant would likely have to be replaced again at some point. Still, I can't help think of how much pain and inconvenience it might have saved me...

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/19/19 4:37 PM

Plus back in time the tech was not like today. 3-1/2" incision only too, that blows me away. Service life on these she has 'installed' ;) is 30 yrs 'supposedly.

dfcas

7/19/19 6:59 PM

Glad she is doing well. I may need to do an ankle in the not too distant future.

Sparky

7/19/19 8:08 PM

Dan E, every time I mention your name she asks "what did he do now" ;)

daddy-o

7/20/19 9:02 AM

Thanks for the good news. Watching them fight on the Tourmalet is bound to be inspiration for her PT.

stan

7/22/19 7:39 AM

Wife having THR

This news on recovery time is good. It makes my wife feel better. She’s having a cortisone injection today while surgery is being scheduled. She only knew of people going through months long recovery using the older posterior method and wasn’t aware of the newer procedure.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

7/22/19 8:15 AM

Newer procedure

I'm not sure exactly what procedures are used now, but I had the minimally invasive anterolateral procedure in 2007 with short recovery and great results. I rode up Mt. Washington 10 months later.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/22/19 10:41 AM

Her both procedures are called the anterior approach, which she sez is confusing as it is a posterior approach really.

They have folks coming from all over the country to have it done by her Dr. And Other Doctors from all over coming to see and get taught the procedure.

Correction: 'direct superior approach' IT band stays intact for this method/procedure. Previous methods it is cut and heal/recover. Prior procedures 10-11 incision. 3-6" for this, Elaines are just over 3" i guess.

Sparky

7/28/19 12:40 PM

Grabbed a brochure on her follow up visit. So if curious....

Web information: https://www.stryker.com/us/en/joint-replacement/procedures/direct-superior-approach.html

lrzipris

7/28/19 1:51 PM

Good to hear about Elaine, Sparky.

But this site is beginning to sound like rounds at Mass General. Ouch!

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/28/19 3:38 PM

There is quite a collection of prosthetic parts among us. I have been lucky in that my fractures have required reducing only on one occasion. So just extra calcium masses, and no hardware in my case...

My wife has to [does?] carry a medical card for TSA scans...

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -