HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

cool late season gravel grinder

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dan emery

7/24/19 9:18 AM

cool late season gravel grinder

As a good member of the Bicycle Coalition of Maine I'll mention this gravel ride 10/20, up in the 100 mile wilderness (near Greenville, Moosehead Lake and Kokadjo, not too far from Katahdin). The 100k route has 5500' climbing, not bad. Should be gorgeous. Reg is only $45, and I got a spot the night before in an AMC bunkhouse with 3 meals for $72. The page doesn't give a good job of explaining where it is, but if you click register you can see a map of sorts.

https://www.outdoors.org/lodging-camping/maine-lodges/maine-woods-rambler?fbclid=IwAR2NSqf4NfVEPsk1yMt_qHI-Poyo0fXBymy5fCW7nCwpg90d0XjoJZelQls

Reply to topic    

April

7/24/19 12:56 PM

10/20? Gosh, it'll be COLD!

I've xc skied the 100 Mile Wilderness. It's nice and REMOTE! For those who like it. For those of us NOT living in Maine, it's a pretty cool & unique place.

Thanks for the support, Dan. (I'm a long time AMC member. Did some fund raiser for the 100 Mile Wilderness in the past)

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Brian Nystrom

7/24/19 3:34 PM

It sounds interesting, but it's a pretty long haul from here (290 miles). Funny, it's actually north of Montreal.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

7/24/19 3:51 PM

North of Montreal

It definitely is a haul, at least 3 hours even for me.

“North of Montreal” - and your point is? It’s not even in northern Maine....:). The prospect of honking along a gravel road in full view of Mt. Katahdin really appeals to me. That whole area is fabulous.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

7/24/19 4:31 PM

I just noticed the location of Montreal, as it's a place that I think of as being really far north, although I have been all the way up to Fort Kent.

I'm not familiar with the area of the ride, but it sure sounds nice!

Reply to topic    

Steve B.

7/24/19 5:58 PM

It’s called the “100 Mile Wilderness” as it’s the final stretch of the Appalachian Trail (If thinking south to north) ending up at Baxter State Park and Mt. Katahdin. The last “town” where hikers can re-supply is in Moncton, then it’s 100 miles to Abol Bridge at Baxter.

The Appalachian Mt. Club has been very proactive in purchasing land in the region, both to protect the trail as well as desiring to set aside a lot of woods from logging and development. Due to the decades of logging in the region, there’s a lot of gravel/dirt roads throughout the region. Some of it, typically north of where the ride takes place, is still heavily logged, with the many miles of logging roads off limits to bikes. If that status ever changes, this area would end up as gravel grinder heaven.

Reply to topic    

April

7/24/19 7:46 PM

Dan, stay an extra day. Go visit Gulf Haguas

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dan emery

7/25/19 4:50 AM

Gulf Hagas

Been there. Awesome place.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -