Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Sayonara to road bike?
 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dan emery

7/5/19 2:54 PM

Memories

I got dragged off a frozen river in a basket. I had (stupidly) clambered up a wooded bank, so I went down the bank, across the ice, and up the other bank. This was after I’d stood up and fallen 5x in an effort to skate, then walk, out (Just call me Cleopatra, I’m the Queen of Denial).

It was exactly like Brian described, if I could lie on my back and not move, no pain; as soon as the leg moved a micron, I was screaming. The drugs didn’t touch the pain. Afterward I said if that was a 10, I’ve never had above a 3 in the rest of my life.

They didn’t need imaging to find a fracture. It was right where I’d had a hip replacement, and the surgeon could see the prosthesis through the crack.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

7/5/19 9:03 PM

Demerol was my best friend for a couple of days - until they weaned me off of it - and it was the only time in my life that I was happy to see someone approaching me with a needle. ;-)

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/5/19 10:42 PM

Dilaudid via needle 3x until they let me go home. That shit wore off in the car on the 4.5 hour trip from Galinberg back to 20 miles west of NashVegas. OMG... Dat hirt!

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

daddy-o

7/7/19 6:28 AM

Caliper brake sales angle

“good luck selling off a non disc road anything anymore”

“Caliper brakes are the choice of pros, look at the Tour coverage.”

Let the bidding wars begin, right?

dan emery

7/7/19 11:08 AM

Getting better

Took a pretty good ride on the road bike, 2 1/2 hours, quite hilly. The tires/ride were really OK. I’ll try larger tires, but if they don’t fit, these 26s are OK. I just got used to the 40s on the Checkpoint. Fought my way through some early climbs, but felt good by the end and appreciated the fluidity of spinning along on pavement. Although the RSL has aggressive geometry, I like the position.

I still could use something lower than 34x28 (I do ride steep stuff). I can make it up the climbs in that, and of course I can get stronger, but I think lower is indicated. I see SRAM has an 11-32 11 speed cassette, I dunno if that will work with my stuff or not, I’ll find out. Or if you went to 12 speed, you could get a 46/33 with 10-33. That would be cool on a road bike.

So like I said, I reserve my right to change my mind...

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/7/19 11:23 AM

"Let the bidding wars begin, right?"

I still want tor try an RSL. The Pro endurance low stack is of interest to me, have to be a 60CM though. But not the short WB Koppenberg geom.

I have had a frameset search on eBay ever since I went to buy the new one for 50% off @ 6k and chickened out. ;) I have made an offer or two, but stick solid on my willingness point/dollar max.

But then again, I used that 'that' coin already on the Mongrel. I did finally recycle my Litespeed Blade TT frame finally into the cash pool. ;)

Brian Nystrom

7/7/19 3:27 PM

The couple that we were riding with in CA both had 2016-2017 vintage Domanes. After doing a dirt road ride with us (they managed quite well, I might add), he looked at the spec sheet on their bikes and it said they would handle 30mm tires. Both of their bikes are rim-brake models, one with Ultegra mechanical and one with Di2.

How much top end gearing do you think you need? A 46/30 crank with an 11 in the rear still provides a pretty good-sized top gear (113"). The 30 with your 28 drops you to almost 1:1 (29") - which is nearly identical to a 34x32 - and leaves you the option to go even lower in the future, if necessary.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

7/7/19 3:56 PM

Domanes

Mine is an RSL (Race Shop Limited) which is quite different than a standard Domane and specs a 28 max tire, FWIW. Also I have etap so I’m not sure I’m free to just pop on a 46/30 (which I have from VO on another bike). And I’m not going to screw around to see if there is some way it could work. I see there is an etap wifli upgrade that gives you an 11-32 with midrange derailleur and chain. Not cheap, but I will look into it. I am not a tinkerer.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/7/19 4:33 PM

"Race Shop Limited" which is quite different than a standard Domane

Indeed. ;)

There is 4/5? variations over the life of the breed as I understand it. Endurance, RSL, Kopenberg, Classics Edition and Pro Endurance.

The Low Stack varieties; KopnBrb, Pro Endurance and Classics have more WB and chainstay, except KopnBrg being shorter WB [like Madone/Emonda].

Endurance are kinda H3 stack short TT, slower HTA. More trail I think, but going from memory [such as it is anymore]. The others are low and long and closer to 73^ HTA.
I think there was a H2 one in there and one point, but the 'race' ones I believe are considered H1. Good luck filtering thru the marketing to figure out if there was an H2.

Me, my interest lies in the Classic Edition/Pro Endurance. A 60CM has a 58.#CM stack [as does RSL], with 104.# WB. I'd take one of those to hammer for a while. [Or hammer myself upon one].

Some years RSL are like this some are not I think, being more KopnBrg tight/short.

Here is a pic of the KopnBrg and ClassicEd head to head. Chainstay difference is most obvious, wheel space to Downtube subtle, but noticable. There is like a 4CM WB difference between these two I believe. That is two whole different animals.

Note the single caliper VS dual mounts, denoting pre 2017 [IIRC]

Brian Nystrom

7/7/19 7:25 PM

What exactly is your concern regarding the crank? As long as the front derailleur can be lowered sufficiently, there's no reason that a 46/30 crank - regardless of the brand - shouldn't work on your Domane. Since you already have a crank, it would be pretty easy to measure the chainring radius and determine if it will work.

Just working off the top of my head, the difference in front derailleur height should be .32" or 8.1mm. I just confirmed that by measuring my gravel and road bikes.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/7/19 7:26 PM

"What exactly is your concern regarding the crank? "

Is that q specifically for someone?

Brian Nystrom

7/7/19 7:34 PM

Yes, for Dan, though perhaps you can speak to the derailleur adjustment question if you still have a similar bike.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/7/19 8:59 PM

I just had a 34/50 on my Domane. And my Madone with the same rivot-ed on DR hanger same, nothing smaller than a 50. Is tha hanger placement same Domane' VS Madone, dunno. I expect it is probably.

I can say the FD on the Madone is close enough to the bottom of the DR hanger slot that a 46t would have more ring to cage clearance than spec. I measured c/to 46t CX ring on the Conquest out of curiosity. Although, more clearance than spec probably not be a problem. I have a Oval 53 on something and when the small side [semi-minor axis] is closest to the FrDR the space in huge.

I just had recalled the yaw DR was fussy when researching the Oval rings, thus mentioned. Not had any yaw personally.

dan emery

7/8/19 4:35 AM

Crank

You may well be right Brian, but I’m not inclined to mix drivetrain components, particularly with wireless shifting.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/8/19 10:14 AM

"particularly with wireless shifting"

I will add, said 36/53 Rotor Oval chainset shifted best with Di2 over both SH and Campy cabled 11s in my installations.

Brian Nystrom

7/8/19 10:30 AM

Wireless shifting shouldn't make any difference. The front derailleurs still have inner and outer stop screws and fine-tuning capability. As long as you're using an 11-speed crank with a front derailleur designed for 11-speed, there should be no issues, provided that you have enough height adjustment. There is no reason to stick exclusively to one brand with standard 11-speed drivetrains and you'll often see mixing and matching on production bikes.

It would be different if you were using a 9 or 10-speed crank, which have different spacing between the chainrings. The new 12-speed systems are another thing entirely.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

7/8/19 10:52 AM

Resolved

I’m going 11-32. I’ll also like having more range on the big ring, and don’t much care about gaps.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/8/19 11:05 AM

"don’t much care about gaps."

Riding alone I don't either. Or riding along with leisure pace friends/wife etc.

50+ mile hammer FTP rides on go fast bike, not so much. Or occasion I hook up with faster rider. [faster than me, = most]

I had the 12-29 SR cassette on 1985 Nago last ride and hooked up for 15 or so miles with a zoot plastic aero wheel clad rider. ;)

stan

7/8/19 9:23 PM

Endurance/gravel bike

I pretty much ride an endurance bike which initially was marketed as a gravel. It’s got knobby 32 tires with disc brakes. I don’t plan on any real challenging trails at my age so the 32s work well for my on smooth dirt, gravel, and rough roads as well as smooth asphalt. I’ve pretty much given up road bikes myself.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/8/19 10:13 PM

"so the 32s work well for my on smooth dirt, gravel, and rough roads as well as smooth asphalt."

Depending on one's required size bike and personal size girth, one riders 32 is another guys 42 in some ways.

April

7/9/19 4:36 AM

Come on!

Knobby tires don’t grip nearly as well on asphalt!

I’ve been riding “gravel bike” for 10+ years, BEFORE the marketing term was invented...

greglepore

7/9/19 6:52 AM

The 32 may or may not work with standard etap, it depends on lots of things, including chainstay length and hanger geo, It will def work with the wifli rd.

Another thing, I'm with you on the wider tires. I know you're done with tubies, but Vlandeerens are truely amazing tires.

Brian, I'd generally agree with you about cranks, but the main weakness of etap is that it doesn't play well with front setups that sram didn't think about-odd hanger heights, different cranks etc. It tends to dump the chain outside even with constant attention. I've had zero issues with my red cranks, but lots of folks curse etap fd's.

dan emery

7/9/19 7:11 AM

@Greg

Getting the wifli rd as part of the upgrade kit. In the shop we could tell the standard wouldn't do it.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/9/19 10:18 AM

I can say the Force carbon cranks play nice up front. I have a few sets including setup with rings/spiders 28/44, Standard 34/50, and the aforementioned Oval Rotor rings of 36/53 which are 110 BCD. These I have used with cables 10&11 Speed and both 10-11 Speed Di2. Played nice in all situations. But that is the limit of my SRAM chainset experience.

"doesn't play well with front setups that sram didn't"

Related to my first comment asking if Yaw? Seen and read front issues with SRAM system for a while now.

greglepore

7/9/19 12:12 PM

sparky-talking specifically about the etap fd, which is a yaw. Its been problematic since intro.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -