HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Campy UT chainset/ring options?

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

5/31/19 4:41 PM

Campy UT chainset/ring options?

I have both Chorus 10speed 39/5# and 11s 34/50 chainsets. I want to change out either the big or smaller ring to a setup with 3ish teeth difference. Like to keep one of the rings and only buy one more.

34-39, keeping the 34. or on the bigger BC keep the 39 and change the 5# for a 42t.

What year have the one threaded bolt chainring? Do the 10s cranks use concentric BC [I don't think the 11s do].

If you know Campy, I assume you can see what I need to know.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dfcas

5/31/19 6:20 PM

You might look at specialties TA chainrings. Peter White cycles is a distributor and has a listing that may help you get thru the weeds.

Brian Nystrom

6/1/19 5:48 AM

One problem that you're going to run into is that all of the sizes you mention are inner chainrings, which means that they don't have shift pins or ramps. Consequently, even if they fit and the spacing between the rings is OK, it's going to shift like crap.

Both the 10 and 11 speed chainrings have the 5th bolt offset by a couple millimeters, so they're not compatible with true 110mm chainrings from other brands. You can only use Campy rings. My 11-speed

Last edited by Brian Nystrom on 6/1/19 9:54 AM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/1/19 9:19 AM

For single rear cog, only manual occasional changes, so ramp/pin thing non issue. Probably would be even with a FD with less than 10 T diff anyhow. Like shifting up the 42 to the 52 on a 5 speed pretty much, IF I was going to use a DR.

There is a 42T 135 middle from a triple, but with 3 teeth difference not sure how much help it would be anyway.

I have it down to a Stronlight 7075-T6 CT2 that should work. But Campy is a lot less simple than SH year to year on the rings.

From what I gathered, the compact it turns out is 110/112 BCD, the mount behind the arm being 112BCD, the other 4 110. So challenge there...

dfcas

6/1/19 11:29 AM

I think you can file the 112 bolt hole and allow a basic 110 to fit if memory serves me correctly.

Brian Nystrom

6/1/19 12:40 PM

There may be a recess in the chainring, too. Unfortunately, I don't have my Campy Crank handy.

There were also multiple versions of the cranks with different bolt types and chainring offsets, though I think the latter is only an issue for outer rings.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/1/19 8:13 PM

I saw both that some use a behind the crank arm spacer, and lot of folk use a dremel to make it work on that 112 BCD mount.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -