HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Gravel bike?
 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

3/30/19 6:57 PM

Lynskey ProCX frame on VG sale. Also a few gravel frames and bikes. They mark down huge when they do.

But the ProCX is a good 650b candidate IMO. BB not too low for it.

If you dont mind non flat mount brakes, crazy deals...

Pro gravel flat mount, force 1×11 3600.00

https://lynskeyperformance.com/pro-gr-gravel-bike-sram-force-1x-vision-team-30/

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

April

3/30/19 10:26 PM

Back to the regular program of

... gearing. I too, think D2R2 is probably best suited for 1x!

There’s rarely any flat section more than 30 seconds long! There’re however, tons of steep ups and downs follow closely together! I found myself constantly double shifting. More over, many of the climbs changes gradient abruptly, necessitating “sweeping” over multiple cogs in a hurry in my rather “conventional” cassette of 13-32 (9 speed). So a somewhat larger gap is actually an advantage.

But Dave’s point of other use is also valid.

April

3/30/19 10:40 PM

Went out for a short easy ride, 1st ride of 2019.

I need a new bike, to replace my 15 year old road bike. But I’m too busy riding (or skiing) and have no time to go test riding new bikes.

Having own the Crosshare for 20 years, I will not go back to a road only bike any more. A cross/gravel bike will do EVERYTHING a road frame can except in weight & speed. With lower gears available thanks to the 1x craze, I can climb with a heavier bike without running out of gear.

But that’s the easy one. I haven’t quite decide if I should get a folding bike first. (whatever bike I’m getting, it’ll be dirt capable regardless!)

Sparky

3/30/19 11:11 PM

This is all you see here. Disc road and gravel bikes with 28s. Make sense to me, no trips to the LBS for new rims after one or two rainy seasons being the biggest plus.

Stick on 28s and ride with the club, pop on your gravel wheels with 35-45 tires and even do some single track, and or race CX. It is the closest to a one bike solution thus far is seems.

henoch

4/1/19 7:49 AM

Cannondale

If your shop is also a Cannondale dealer I wouldn't really look at the Super X for your needs as that is a straight ahead CX bike, have a look at the Topstone or Slate those are both very nice bikes.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

4/1/19 8:06 AM

'Dale

The shop is also a Cannondale dealer. I'll look at the Topstone, don't know if I'm there with the funky fork on the Slate.

Though the more I look at it, the more I think a Checkpoint with 1x is really what I want, just may not be the most cost effective choice. All the integrated Trek stuff like racks, fenders and lights is attractive as it would also be a great commuter bike.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

4/1/19 9:23 AM

Battleship bland gray or Cobra Blood?

I notice the 58CM does not have the way short 56.7 Top Tube the Domane has, but a 57.7...

And a little less BB drop than the Domane @ 7.4 VS 7.8.

Cobra Blood, that even sounds cool, marketing dept did good there. ;)

I noticed that the SL 6 still has a 500 OCLV, same as SL 5 and not OCLV/6 Series. Unlike the Domane/Madones that the Series always went Series_4=400, 5=500, 6=600 etc.

I hope it is on sale at your LBS like the 2019 is here/PDX for 300.00 off @ $2499.00

Brian Nystrom

4/1/19 9:57 AM

"I guess another possibility is a Cannondale Super X, which seems more af a cross bike but has one model with a wide range 1x11."

Linda absolutely loves hers, both for 'cross racing and gravel riding. For the latter, we put an 11-36 cassette on it (works fine) and we just ordered a Wolftooth "CAMO" spider and a 36-tooth chainring to give her 1:1 gearing for our upcoming gravel rides. Nobody makes a 36-tooth direct mount ring and the CAMO system will allow us to easily change her gearing using relatively inexpensive chainrings, rather than dealing with the headache of changing direct-mount rings.

BTW, she got her bike from The Pro's Closet and I highly recommend them to anyone looking for a used bike. Her's was a former team rider's bike that was essentially like new, for well under half of the original price. They even replaced one of the tubulars that came on it when we complained that it wouldn't hold air (a $$$ Challenge Baby Limus). They run a first-class operation.

I just spotted this listing on their site:
https://www.theproscloset.com/products/cannondale-superx-force-1-58cm-bike-2018

Reply to topic    

Sparky

4/1/19 10:39 AM

"Nobody makes a 36-tooth direct mount ring"

Won't the SRAM CX1 Spider fit the CADO arm? Also SRAM has a Direct Narrow Tall with the same spline as the spider, is it going to fit a the CADO, same question I guess.

I have a Spider and Narrow Tall 38t. Well, I have a few spiders and 1x and 2x setups. I had bought 3 CX1 cranks.

I have a few extra 110x5 Spiders, if that fits would open up you chainring. Each crank arm sets came with 100 spiders. I could not resist the Force Level Carbon crank arms for 95.00 each. Super low Q factor.

dan emery

4/1/19 11:17 AM

@Brian

I signed up for Rockingham. Assuming I get in enough shape to ride it half decently, maybe I’ll see you guys there.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

4/1/19 8:23 PM

Does 650b wheels, a gravel bike make? 47x650b Teravail Cannonballs.

[did not occur to me previously to try these on the Conquest]

Brian Nystrom

4/2/19 6:15 AM

"Won't the SRAM CX1 Spider fit the CADO arm?"
I could be mistaken, but my understanding is that SRAM spiders and rings won't fit on C'dale Hollowgram cranks.

"I signed up for Rockingham. Assuming I get in enough shape to ride it half decently, maybe I’ll see you guys there."
What, you think we're in shape for it? Seriously, it's not a cakewalk, but it's not brutally hard and I doubt that you'll have any trouble with it. The steepest part is in the last quarter mile to the finish and by then you can smell the food, which provides the boost you need to get up and over it. ;-)

Reply to topic    

Campyman

4/2/19 7:16 AM

Gravel Bike

Here is a great option.
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/road-bikes/gravel-bikes/checkpoint/f/F224/

Reply to topic    

Sparky

4/2/19 8:34 AM

Yeah Campyman, that looks like the probable choice;

Page two post in this thread:

"Went to the shop today and spec’d a Checkpoint with SRAM 1x11, they’ll price it out and get back."

We have touched on the Checkpoint, a post from 6/2/18:

Folks out riding their gravel bike? The guy at the Bike Gallery [biggest Trek dealer 6 locations here] booth told me the Trek Gravel Checkpoint has left the Domane in the dust in sales. And they can't get them in as fast as they can sell them.

dan emery

4/2/19 3:56 PM

Done

Ordered the Checkpoint with Force 1. Should have it in about a week. A little more expensive as a custom build, but exactly what I want. Red.

@Brian, I’ve ridden Raid Rockingham and you’re right, it’s not hard for a gravel ride; I’m just not in much shape as I haven’t been riding any distance for over a year. But it gives me some incentive and if I can ride it OK I’ll take that as a step toward D2R2 (all of the 4 versions of D2R2 I’ve ridden are considerably harder than RR).

Reply to topic    

April

4/6/19 10:02 AM

I think you D2R2 people probably got this in your email
http://www.bikereg.com/Services/RedirectEmail.aspx?despa=http%3a%2f%2fwww.franklinlandtrust.org%2fevents%2fd2r2-spring-adventure&emid=44428&edid=12278376&secc=12233930

2 days of back to back of the that stff seems insane. Never mind in May. Only those who ride through winter need to apply. “Expect mud, bugs as part of the adventure” according to the organizer! :D

Sparky

4/6/19 10:36 AM

"Ordered the Checkpoint with Force 1."

Carbon cranks?

Curious with the CX1 cranks how close to the chain stays the crank arm will be, them very low Q factor.

The left arm on the Conquest is a few scant mm away. But you don't really flex the crank arm in that position. So watching it close for the first 100 miles or so it has been fine. But so close...

dan emery

4/6/19 4:30 PM

D2R2 Spring ride

Yeah I got that too. It’s really a fundraising event where you can ride as much or little as you want. Actually looks like fun, though I won’t make it. I note it’s in Hawley, and I’d say E. Hawley Rd. was the most insane climb I’ve ridden on the 4 courses I’ve done. Super Steep, dirt, and 4 freakin’ miles....you’re part way through, then come to a view of the road ahead, and “Oh...no....”

@Sparky, I dunno what the crank is like, though I assume it’s carbon and it works.

Reply to topic    

April

4/9/19 11:21 AM

It looks fun except it’s in spring. Too early for me. Otherwise, $400 for 2 nights with meal, and 2 days semi-supported riding is a good price by any standard. The fact the money goes to conservativon, even better.

Sparky

4/9/19 8:18 PM

While we have a Gravel Bike Thread, I'll pop this here in this thread.

Decided to sell the Conquest when I saw a nice Lynskey Frame on one of their stupid sales.

I have learned for 650b unless you can fit a 2.1 [may as well ride your MTB bike at that point] the outside diameter for 42-47/8mm tires and the low low BBs we see on 'gravel' frames/bikes is a no go. Chain stay fit limits not withstanding...

My 2015 Strong as example with 8CM drop. I don't like to put smaller than a 32mm with 700c. Carl keyed frame toward a 40mm 700c.

This 2019 Pro Cross has 6.56CM BB drop, like normal CX bike should/would? Carl set me up with a left over fork for dirt [in more than one way, dirt $ and dirt use]. With an IS disc mount it is not an item he'd put on a current build.

Fed-x dropped off the frame & headset yesterday. I got it into a SS mode to ride, liked what I felt and popped on a 1x11 11-36 with a bar con. Not decided what the final iteration will be, mainly shifters wise I mean.

I ordered a shiftmate and am going to try SR ERGOs with a GS Shimano DR and see how that goes. Enjoyed it as a 1x11 today fine. I like Bar cons personally, especially in the cold/rain with heavier gloves like todays shake out ride.

But the 28'42 CX1 SRAM cranks [off Conquest] are on to stay. Love this combo.

I got it out on some wet hard pack and slimy woods trails in the rain today for an inaugural jaunt.

dddd

4/10/19 4:29 PM

You're really getting a grip on what "gravel" is all about!

Can you say where using tires bigger than say 35mm is much help on a drop-bar bike? Other than sand that is.

I dig the mongrel look of the Lynsky, perfect for an era when people are still figuring out what a Gravel bike is supposed to be and do.

I've done a lot of mtb riding on touring bikes with ~30mm tires, so to me that's gravel riding.

I used my CX bike with 33mm tubeless tires and canti brakes on Sunday's 60-mile Fondo ride here in the foothills, and can say that the platform makes an excellent road bike other than that it can't draft a lead rider closely without tires touching. And of course I already know that tires smaller than this size are adequate for off-roading. I guess it's the added cushion of bigger-yet tires that makes them marketable, but it's still not what I could call suspension.

One big limitation that I see on today's gravel bikes is that they offer no auxilliary brake levers with the full-hydro brakes.
It's a serious deficiency imo for technical descending, and needs to be addressed somehow.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

4/10/19 4:46 PM

When you are heavier/bigger and need flotation in soft/loose, well me. I need a tire that won't cut like a knife. If I was 145 lb a 32 would be fine perhaps.

I have used 700c for woods and gravel on a few bikes/tire thus far. Nano 40s, Refuse 42s and Conti Speed Ride 42s. The bald Re-fuse surprised me overall. Although I bet that sog I was in yesterday would have been even more slippy/slidey. The Speed Ride with the file Center have been my fav, but not tubeless and flat really easy. Maybe time to try a ghetto tubeless setup on those...

The Teravails edge 'knobs' did not seem useful yesterday. The ones on the SpeedRides OTOH hook a little at least...

I ordered some 11s Bar cons, I wanna keep the Hylex for a while. I agree with your assessment on no top aux levers for juicies. I keep looking at the TRP carbon CX AUX levers hanging on a hook on my parts wall thinking "wish these could be incorporated".

Sparky

4/10/19 5:18 PM

"I dig the mongrel look of the Lynsky, perfect for an era when people are still figuring out what a Gravel bike is supposed to be and do. "

I like to think I had it figured a while ago...
At least the mongrel aspect.

PLee

4/11/19 7:05 AM

Then there's this:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/pinarello-launches-dogma-fs-full-suspended-road-bike/

In case you actually get a sizable tax refund . . . . . .

Reply to topic    

dan emery

4/11/19 9:22 AM

Hmmmm

Battery pack in the seat tube, eh?

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -