Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Gravel bike?
 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dan emery

5/4/19 2:40 PM

Quick comparo to Domane RSL

Took out the RSL for a spin after mostly riding the Checkpoint for awhile. The RSL seems to roll a bit faster on pavement, but that may be as much feel as reality (I wasn’t tracking speed).

The difference in position, with the RSL’s lower bars, is noticeable. I’m comfortable with either, the lower is probably more aero and better for pack riding, which I seldom do. For steep climbing, gravel and general use, I like the slightly more compact, upright position of the Checkpoint better.

The Domane is very good over bumps for a road bike (26 mm tires) but not as good as the 40 mm Checkpoint.

So I’d use the RSL for fast road rides, centuries and Merckx time trials, and the Checkpoint for about everything else. How much of the former I’ll end up doing remains to be seen.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

5/4/19 6:08 PM

Met a guy on the road today that had a 44mm Head Tube put on his 1" Vortex frame. So a tapered ENVE fork and a new 11 speed SR group for the 2018 season, his fav bike again.

How is that for an update? ;)

We had the latest Tandem [had sold the IBIS] out for it's inaugural after some tweaking on my part. Felt a lot like the IBIS, maybe even more nimble. Only 1300.00 less money. ;)

Tweaking means new tires and a front wheel, chain ring changes. The 32/44/54 not our speed. In other words we can go that speed. ;O [28/36/44 more like it]

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Brian Nystrom

5/4/19 6:51 PM

That's interesting about the head tube. I'd be tempted to put my Vortex back in operation if I could stiffen the front end, which is it's biggest weakness. There's probably more bottom bracket flex than my carbon frames too, but for some applications that may be OK.

Did he happen to mention who did the head tube and what it cost?

Reply to topic    

Sparky

5/4/19 7:04 PM

He said who did the work, I did not recognize the name and already forgot it. When I asked "mind if I ask what that cost to have done", I got the I do not remember. Which means the bill was bigger than he expected and does not want to talk about it I figured. ;)

I called the local Ti Cycles guy to ask about extending the track drop outs on the Blade, and he was like 600.00 and up and would not commit to a cost. Scared me off, which may have been a zero sum plan/feeler on his part.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -