View posts since last visit

Performance Bike [& Other mail order]

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

2/15/19 8:36 PM

Performance Bike [& Other mail order]

Got this:

To Our Valued Customers:

You may have noticed some changes to the Performance Bike website recently. We want to let you know what's up, and keep you in the loop about what you can expect from Performance Bike in the future.

We're excited to share with you that Performance Bike is joining the family of AMain Sports & Hobbies!

Since 2004, AMain Sports & Hobbies has been dedicated to serving the cycling & hobbies community worldwide with excellent customer service and extensive product selection. Now, it's time to bring all the AMain benefits to Performance Bike customers like you.

More information about AMain Sports & Hobbies can be found at https://www.amaincycling.com

And just got the exact same email from Nashbar.

Last edited by Sparky on 2/17/19 1:53 PM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Brian Nystrom

2/16/19 6:37 AM

At this point it sounds like business as usual for the two stores.

I went to the Amain site and it doesn't work in Firefox; clicking on the links does nothing. That's a rather inauspicious start...

The site also reminds me of Chinese sites, but they're apparently located in Chico, CA.

Reply to topic    

Steve B.

2/16/19 8:06 AM

I got the same thing as well as a similar from Bike Nashbar. So obviously trying to get their mojo back as well as past customers.

I then went to the Performance site to browse mt. bikes and found they no longer listed Fuji or Kestral, which is to be expected, but listed bikes from Liz. And that as it for bikes, so a growing process as they restablish credit with other manufacturers and get stuff into the warehouse.

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

2/17/19 10:19 AM

Retail

Looks like the web presence continues for both Performance and Nashbar, but the Performance bike shops are closing.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

2/17/19 11:04 AM

Brick and Mortars closing here in PDX. I got two wheelsets the other day that where over $1000.00 for 380.00 And had 55.00 of gift cards, worried they would go dormant. But betting the cards will be good at the web site after anyway.

So a decent spend day out of pocket for me for what I came away with.

Talking with he folks loosing jobs made it less fun.

Sparky

2/17/19 1:52 PM

BTW, VG place here that also does mail order 'AND' has some excellent deals on NOS Campy stuff.

Tire stuff good as well. Just got some Teravail Cannonball Tire 650b x 47 Light and Supple Tubeless-Ready Tan for $102.00 shipped 2 day.

https://planetcyclery.com/

Typically get free 2 day shipping or a 15% off one item etc.

Steve B.

2/17/19 2:13 PM

The Performance site shows some Giant mt. bikes for sale. Says store pickup only, but also In Stock Online, usually ships within 24 hrs.

They need to think this thru.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

2/18/19 9:39 AM

Most major brands do not allow dealers to ship unassembled bikes to customers and I suspect that Giant is no different.

Reply to topic    

Steve B.

2/18/19 1:22 PM

@Brian

Yes, that’s true for Specialized and Trek and I believe Cannondale as well.

I just find it odd that you can only purchase a Giant from Performance in a store, just as they are closing all the stores. So how exactly are we supposed to buy these bikes ?

And FWIW, my local shop sell Giant and it’s clear it’s in store delivery only.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

2/18/19 1:31 PM

For sure with Trek, when we got the Madone framesets on sale we had to visit the store to fetch.

And if paid for online, ID and the CC/DB card had to accompany pickup. Could be paid for via the 'Bike Gallery' web site, or Trekstore.com and picked up where it was, or would be sent to from another store or direct form Trek yada.

Brian Nystrom

2/19/19 4:57 PM

That's frustrating

I can understand not shipping unassembled and un-adjusted bikes , but it makes no sense to me that a dealer can't ship someone a frameset . It seems to me that it's safe to assume that someone purchasing a frameset knows that it needs to be built into a bike and picking it up at a dealer offers no additional value to either the dealer or the customer.

Reply to topic    

Brian Kelly

2/20/19 2:24 PM

Add on sales for store

Shipping to the store can help support them with add on sales- "Do you need new cables/ bar tape/ seatpost/ whatever to go with the frame? If you want, we can do the parts swap?"

It ain't much, but it does give them a chance to make some additions $ off of the sale.

Brian Nystrom

2/20/19 4:21 PM

In that scenario, I agree, but when you're trying to buy a frame that's in stock in a distant shop and have it shipped to you, there is no benefit to anyone to not allowing it to be shipped. The shop loses the sale and the potential customer gets pissed, potentially causing them to look for another, more accommodating brand. It's truly a lose-lose situation.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -