HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

New outlet for MAMILs ;-)

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
April

1/24/19 10:29 AM

New outlet for MAMILs ;-)

https://medium.com/s/greatescape/extreme-athleticism-is-the-new-midlife-crisis-d87199a18bed

(I know most here are well past the "middle age" mark, but perhaps there's some recollection of that in the memory?)

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dddd

1/25/19 1:15 PM

What worked in my 40's became more taxing in my 50's I would say.
Especially recovery, but even a micro-dose of prednisone helps with that.
Then there were all of those cold and foggy morning rides out of time just to get to the fast regional training rides. Half the peloton stayed home during the cold months, but winter training allowed coming into the new season with high-percentile fitness. Like the storied Belgians.

A lot of the people regularly out riding bikes are former serious runners now too worn out to do much running. These folks can ride for hours though, or even days it seems, many in their 70's and even a few in their 80's.

My last real periodic fitness peak was at 55, though I can still place well with my age group riding an antique bike in 45-minute CX events. My low weight helps.

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

1/26/19 9:29 AM

All effed up

In the [paraphrased] immortal words of Cheech and Chong: "A year ago I was all effed on drugs, and then I found [extreme endurance sports] and now I'm all effed up on [extreme endurance sports] "

Despite my being well past what most would call "mid-life" I'm still doing pretty much the same stuff I was doing in my 30s and 40s. Only now people say "Are you really still doing that?!!!"

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -